Thread: Rest for Scepter V

Post Thanks / Like

Default Rest for Scepter V

Which rest are you using on the Scepter V? I just got one and the hump at the end is a little different. Just wondering which rest everyone is using to keep the arrow from bumping off at the end of the draw cycle.

Post Thanks / Like

For my Shadowcat I used a Limb Driver with the wide fork launch arm and I learned not to just haul off and jerk back when drawing.

Other, if using a d-loop, make sure you don't have nock pinch. Said is desired .040" up and down play for the nock when string tied nocks or just the d-loop. I've found more to still give good accuracy....
    Last edited by Sonny Thomas; 04-29-2014 at 09:37 AM.
    Former and current Back Yard Champion. I beat myself

Post Thanks / Like

The arrow shouldn't be jumping off the rest no matter which rest you use. There are a couple most common reasons it does happen. Most notably is that the draw weightis more than you can control as you draw the bow so that when the cam rolls over into the stop it slams too hard causing the arrow to jump. The other most common one can be a combination of things. If you use a loop you may be experiencing nock pinch which causes the arrow to rise up as you draw the bow, OR the nocks are too tight on the string.

If the nocks are too tight then the best course of action is to reserve the center serving with a smaller diameter of serving material. If it's nock pinch between loop knots then spread the knots. It wouldn't be a bad idea to add a brass nockset or a bit if serving under the nock to put some downward pressure on the nock as the bow is drawn.

Now to answer the main question. I don't have a Scepter but use or have used numerous rests on my bows over the years, fixed and drop aways, and have never experienced the problem you apparently are having. Presently my Nemisis is sporting a Rip Cord Code Red with the containment bar removed and trashed and the launcher arms cut down to about 1/2" high at full draw. I have no use for containment type rests like a Whisker Bisquit; have tried them and just don't need containment or the loss of accuracy they can induce.
    If You're Not Living on the Edge You're Taking Up Too Much Space
    Martin Gold Plus Staff Shooter
    Alien Mafia
    PSAA Life member, UBP Life member
    PADI AOW Diver

Post Thanks / Like

Dang, Barry! We hit at the same time!

Post Thanks / Like

Quote Originally Posted by Sonny Thomas View Post
    Dang, Barry! We hit at the same time!
    HAHA, it would seem so.
    If You're Not Living on the Edge You're Taking Up Too Much Space
    Martin Gold Plus Staff Shooter
    Alien Mafia
    PSAA Life member, UBP Life member
    PADI AOW Diver

Post Thanks / Like

I've had a similar problem with both my Shadowcat and Scepter V. I don't know why it exists, given that the draw cycle is otherwise really smooth. But when it rolls over it will bump hard enough to bounce it off the rest if I'm not really careful.

I've managed to adjust quite a bit of the bounce out by adjusting the draw stop and draw length.

I use a NAP Quick Tune 3000, to answer your question. Short of going to a whisker biscuit of course I can't offer any other suggestion.

Post Thanks / Like

I would ask or offer, do you have all the cushions in place? You have the drop stop rubber cover and then there should be a felt or rubber pad the goes/sticks to the limb where the drop stop hits.

Yes, dropping off the valley wall and then, wham. The draw stop hitting the limb will make the arrow bounce some. Actually, I removed the pad for the limb, but had the draw stop set cut down on the impact of draw stop to limb. Draw weight was set to 55 pounds and hitting the ASA speed limit of 281 fps I didn't want for more draw weight.

Post Thanks / Like

I got it figured out. After resetting the timing on my rest and changing the draw stop to my comfort it works great. I just wasn't familiar with the sudden bump at the end of the drae cycle. We will see how it does this weekend at 2 different tournaments I have to shoot. I wouldn't of minded having it when I shot the Texas pro am.