Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast

Thread: Any drag racers or car guys over here?

Post Thanks / Like

Default Any drag racers or car guys over here?

Just seen Hutch's post about working on his car and it got me thinking about cars. Anyone here into drag racing or going to car cruises? I'd love to hear about your rides and see some pics of them. I'll see if I can dig up some pics of mine to pass along as well.

Post Thanks / Like

My Drag Racing days were back when Sonoco 260 gas was still available....Or sneaking into local airport for a "dash" of the real good stuff. My 1962 Super Sport 425 hp 409 was a bit revamped. 500 hp. Best time in the 1/8 mile; 8:86 seconds. [calculate] About 126 mph in the 1/4.
    That 260 gas, whew, not only good in cars, but would put the "get up and go" in my Harley Sportster. If by Roger Reiman, 6,000 rpm gave 145 mph for my Sportster. Geared the way it was, the speedometer would only register 90 mph. If I remember right, 18 or 19 tooth countershaft and 57 rear sprocket gave 115 mph. I had a 23 tooth countershaft. Could stick it in 3rd and cruise at 70 mph. Brother-in-law had this 900 Kawasaki, Dyno tuned, 4 into 1 headers. He wanted to go up gear by gear, him with 5 and me with 4. Side by side, he yelled out he was topped out (in 4th gear) and had to shift. I was in 3rd gear. I cranked my Harley to full tilt, pulling away from Joe by 3 or 4 bike lengths and then I nailed 4th gear... I was down as low as I go. I could just see Joe's headlight and my Sportster was still pulling away. Later, at his mom and dad's house, he said he was doing just a bit over 125 mph when he heard me shift to 4th.... I lost my pictures of my Sportster, but trying to get Joe to find one and email me one.

Notes; My 1972 Harley Sportster was called the "Last of the Chrome leggers." Last year for steel chromed forks. It was also the last year you could order the oversized carburetor and "P" cams. I bought the bike seized up and in pieces. I had it bored .060" over.
    That it was so awesome top end wise, a painter offered his best paint job for cost of paint. Pearl senses white, Ice blue, Vagina red, and black pin striped. It stood out.
    Always puzzled me that the bike set so low. Later, I found it was a production model of low numbers. If you stood up a pack of Pall Mall cigarettes in the front of the frame, the frame knock over the cigarettes, it was that low to ground.
    I was running a Yokohama (450 I think) rear tire and had to use metal screws to keep the tire from slipping on the rim - took out a valve stem once and nearly a second, so the screws...
    Former and current Back Yard Champion. I beat myself

Post Thanks / Like

I've been known to turn a wrench or two. Getting harder with age & I hate it. Vertigo and sore bones from crawling/rolling around on concrete. Been a shade tree builder for 40 years now & only finished two car that I called done. I'll see if I can dig any pictures of them up. I did a 900 Hp blown 81 Corvette and a 500 horse 82 Camaro for my son. All the others were "still need work" but a ton of fun and most were fast & loud.
    Last edited by NuttyNative; 05-04-2014 at 10:16 PM.
    I'm a Lefty

2011 Martin Ridge Hunter
    2012 Rytera Alien Z
    2008 Diamond Marquis
    2008 Diamond Marquis
    2009 Bowtech Sentinel
    2009 Bowtech Sentinel

String builder/ Super Moderator Hutch~n~Son Archery's Avatar
    Post Thanks / Like

Well I have been known to build a few now and then. I painted cars more than building them in later years. But I built a 1969 Firebird and added a Pontiac 350 big block. Yep a big block that they only produced 650 of and never put them in cars. Weird but I had some fun with it that is after I figured out what I could bolt up to it. When it was totally complete I tested out at New England Drag way and realized it was gonna kill me if I didn't sell it. So later on I sold it and built for others.

Hutch
    Bow String Depot Custom String Builders
    Need a string set pm or email me @ bowstringdepot@gmail.com
    or check us out @ http://bowstringdepot.com

Post Thanks / Like

82 Camaro Genny & I built for TJ (son), I'm guessing 10 years ago. Main body is 82, front fenders are 86, doors, front and rear bumpers, and ground effects are 88 IROC. When we were done with it every nut & bolt had been either cleaned or replaced, essentially, it was a new car. Took us 8-9 months to complete.
    I had two cars to build with, took the best of both and this is how it came out.

Interior was done by the wife, that's her gig, upholstery.

Was pretty happy with the results. 500 hp 383 stroker, 5 speed, 308 posi.
    I'm a Lefty

2011 Martin Ridge Hunter
    2012 Rytera Alien Z
    2008 Diamond Marquis
    2008 Diamond Marquis
    2009 Bowtech Sentinel
    2009 Bowtech Sentinel

String builder/ Super Moderator Hutch~n~Son Archery's Avatar
    Post Thanks / Like

Well done NN! got a very nice look out of it!

Hutch
    Bow String Depot Custom String Builders
    Need a string set pm or email me @ bowstringdepot@gmail.com
    or check us out @ http://bowstringdepot.com

Post Thanks / Like

Thanks Hutch, believe it or not it still looks like that. He's surprised both of us with how he treats it, don't get me wrong... he beats on it hard from time to time but it still looks great. This one was special and I was both sorry & relieved it was done. I drove it to Washington to give it to him & it drove better & quieter than my 99 Monte Carlo.
    Still looking for the Corvette picts, seems their mia in a box.
    I'm a Lefty

2011 Martin Ridge Hunter
    2012 Rytera Alien Z
    2008 Diamond Marquis
    2008 Diamond Marquis
    2009 Bowtech Sentinel
    2009 Bowtech Sentinel

Post Thanks / Like

NuttyNative, nicely done! Awesome...
    Former and current Back Yard Champion. I beat myself

Post Thanks / Like

that's sharp nuttynative