Thread: My 11 Year Old Champion

Post Thanks / Like

Default My 11 Year Old Champion

Not Martin yet, but someday. Some pics of my student, Natalie at 11 years old. If you want to see good form then study her. Pay special attention to her dainty UN-grip.

To help her I also take video from all angles. Difference between her and most men? She'll change anything I say.
    Attached Images Attached Images
    If You're Not Living on the Edge You're Taking Up Too Much Space
    Martin Gold Plus Staff Shooter
    Alien Mafia
    PSAA Life member, UBP Life member
    PADI AOW Diver

2. Likes Spiker, Hutch~n~Son Archery liked this post
    Post Thanks / Like

It looks like the DL is just a lil long??

Hard to tell for sure....
    2010 Alien Z (Hybrix 2), 29", 65lb
    2011 Firecat 400(Nitro 2), 29", 62lb
    2012 Silencer(Nitro 2), 29", 60lb
    Old PSE Infinity(dual cam), 30", 70lb, LH

"If you don't respect yourself, I can't respect you"

4. Thanks bfisher thanked for this post
    Post Thanks / Like

Quote Originally Posted by SixShooter14 View Post
    It looks like the DL is just a lil long??

Hard to tell for sure....
    Sorry,

I just saw the other post
    2010 Alien Z (Hybrix 2), 29", 65lb
    2011 Firecat 400(Nitro 2), 29", 62lb
    2012 Silencer(Nitro 2), 29", 60lb
    Old PSE Infinity(dual cam), 30", 70lb, LH

"If you don't respect yourself, I can't respect you"

6. Thanks bfisher thanked for this post
    Post Thanks / Like

You guys are right. Let me explain a few things.

Start with the bow. I wanted to get her a better bow, but parents have 3 other kids so money is rather tight. Sound familiar? So coach (me) goes looking at all the short draw bows available today with some amount of quality. One other thing I was looking for was a positive limb stop. Most of the bows in our price range are neither decent quality nor have a limb stop. AND, we were looking for something with a draw weight range from 25# to 45#. Sooo, I rely on a friend who just happens to have Strother on his account. I got a look at it and it has GIRL written all over it. Draw length is 24" to 26", weight is 30-40. Best was the price which I cannot say publicly state, but let's say less than two hours wages for most people.

Nat's draw length works out to right at 24" by measuring. She shoots better a tad shorter. This bow is about 1/2" long and with the loop it comes to just about an inch long. I could short string it but after shooting it I decided she'll probably grow into it by the beginning of the indoor season. So that's why the draw length is long.

Now her stance. Her left foot was in a 1 1/2" depression where the shooting line is. This is totally my fault as I should have had her move behind or straddle the line. This kind of threw her whole body out of alignment as can be seen at her hips.

Now the release. Yes it is too long in these photos. It's a True Fire Hardcore Max and as short as I can make it. I normally have it shorter where her finger hooks over it better. She does have a tendency to punch a bit when she wears it long. It's one of the things we have been working on. Usually when I see her straight finger I just say, "Hook It" and she does. Then squeezes off her shots better.

Bow Arm. I am not a fan of bending the arm. Doing so makes the muscles work to extend the bow. I like to rely on a straight but relaxed arm giving bone to bone contact. Her arm appears to be hyper extended but it is not. Notice she does not wear an arm guard and never hits her arm.

Grip? What can I say. It speaks for itself.

I always tell her to communicate with me and often ask her questions such as whether the peep height is right, does the bow aim solidly or moves around a lot. She knows enough that she can tell me what I need to know to make changes or not. Her form is not perfect, but some of this is the coach]s fault (me). I'm not a professional shooter or coach. I know enough to NEVER criticize her--always convey encouragement. It's fun for her and I intend to keep it that way.

Open for suggestions.
    Last edited by bfisher; 07-26-2014 at 10:47 PM.
    Alien Mafia
    PADI AOW Diver

Post Thanks / Like

she's got target shooter written all over her. Isn't funny how young girls make the best students when it comes to listening what you are telling them to do. Much different than trying to get a "seasoned" man to change anything. Drop that back shoulder a bit and spread her feet a little more and she'll be there. I think her coach could probably spring for a little better target stab as well, don't you?

Post Thanks / Like

Wow, I am amazed at her grip. It's picture perfect. Do you mind if I print that picture off to use as an aid for people? It's so hard to get people to stop gripping their bow.

Post Thanks / Like

9 times out of 10 when I am having an off day shooting i find that it's my grip and I am torquing the bow. I really try hard to remind myself not to do that. Great pics Barry!! Hope to see her in a Martin pamphlet some day!!
    2013 Martin Onza XT
    NAP Apache Rest
    Trophy Ridge 3pin Cypher Sight
    NAP Apache Stabilizer
    Kwikee Kwik 3 Kwiver
    Truball stinger release
    CX Heart Attack 350
    100g Rocket Hammerheads

Bow String Depot

60% of the time it works every time!

WWW.shorewindshuntingfarm.com

Post Thanks / Like

Quote Originally Posted by skidge View Post
    Wow, I am amazed at her grip. It's picture perfect. Do you mind if I print that picture off to use as an aid for people? It's so hard to get people to stop gripping their bow.
    Sorry I haven't answered things here. Guess I got too busy. Bad on me. To answer, YES you may print the picture of her grip. Let the others alone as I am posting updated pics since we have gotten new strings from Hutch for the bow and I think it's a better fit. Draw length is about 1 1/4" shorter.

I know people say to have the feet shoulder width apart, but I take issue with that. I think when a person sets up their feet should be "approximately" shoulder width apart--outside to outside part of the feet. However, she has to be comfortable and the legs should be in such a natural position as to give the maximum stability. Here again, she is standing on uneven ground with the left foot in a sort of trough created by the cement blocks on the shooting line.

Just look at the next pics and see how much better she looks. Strings are prettier, too. She picked the colors. First pic is a typical 3 shot 25 yard group (sight needs adjustment). #2. NO grip is self explanatory. #3. Nock is directly under the eye and her finger is hooked around the trigger, something she is getting better at and doesn't need reminded of as much.
    #4 & 5. Notice her feet. I had her straddle the line which helped straighten her whole body so posture is better. A couple details: She has gotten rid of the kisser button from early winter and does not use nor want a wrist sling. And she does not grab the bow.

I've also got video of her (several of them) but can't figure out how to move them from my editing software to You Tube. You Tube isn't recognizing my User Name.
    Attached Images Attached Images
    Last edited by bfisher; 08-22-2014 at 02:12 PM.
    Alien Mafia
    PADI AOW Diver

Post Thanks / Like

Quote Originally Posted by skidge View Post
    she's got target shooter written all over her. Isn't funny how young girls make the best students when it comes to listening what you are telling them to do. Much different than trying to get a "seasoned" man to change anything. Drop that back shoulder a bit and spread her feet a little more and she'll be there. I think her coach could probably spring for a little better target stab as well, don't you?
    Skidge, Just a note on the stabilizer. I've got several that are higher quality (carbon) and longer. This one was an AAE 24" that I cut down for her to 10 1/2". She shoots BH/Unl so is limited to 12" and this one is nice and light. Besides, the only thing I haven't "sprung" for in those pics are her quiver and what she's wearing. Since these pics were taken I've also upgraded her rest from a $20 GWS to a GKF Infiniti drop away. My wallet is getting thinner.

Oh, and she is mostly a target shooter. Vegas round indoors at 20 yards. She's shot two scores so far with this bow (practice) and they were 541 and 540. Consider that 1 1/2 years ago she shot her first score at 265. She come a long way, but we're not done. She was not happy, visibly so, with the 540 Wednesday evening.
    Last edited by bfisher; 08-22-2014 at 02:29 PM.
    Alien Mafia
    PADI AOW Diver