Thread: Vibration Reduction

Post Thanks / Like

Default Vibration Reduction

Dear Friends, Since I posted this on another thread thought I might as well share on the open forum about reducing vibration on Martin square tip limb bows. Here is a method I came upon: Another semi-secret thing I have been doing with great success is taking gel used for shoes inserts (like heel shock gel) and cutting it into almost flat wedges and putting it UNDER the limbs between the limbs and the riser. You have to start out with too heavy for your desired draw weight end result limbs. And then previously testing how far to back out the limb bolts to get at your weight. I shoot near IBO arrows, 5+ gr per lb, 312 gr total arrow weight, and 60 lb draw weight. I use 65 lb limbs on my Slayr. 1 and 3/4 turns out from bottoming out gives me 60 lbs. After measuring the limb to riser gap, then I remove the limbs (without a press) and that thickness + 1/8" make a gel insert. Then reassemble the bow and tighten down the limbs the exact amount of turns to get back to the 60 lb setting. Then check draw weight on scale again, check tiller, then laser align the bow. Then go through the rest of the sighting in and squaring process until personal perfection is achieved. Now I have a straight, limb protecting, and reduced vibration bow that shoots lights out and feels like a whole new bow. I feel the limbs have got to last longer with A. not maxed out, and B. Reduced vibration transfer to the riser account the gel interface. C. I like the idea of the load separated and spread amongst the whole tip of the limb. Seems like a win-win so far.
    Last edited by mxtuner1; 05-13-2014 at 10:10 AM.
    Addicted to Slayers or Slayr's, have more than one. Probably enjoy the mechanical side of archery the best. I have really enjoyed the articles and the stories on this site. I strive to help others with what little knowledge I have.

Post Thanks / Like

Jim, you should have slapped a patent on your great idea!
    ARCHERSHACK STAFF
    Brownell Fury, BCY Trophy, & BCY X Strings
    PALMETTO STATE STABILIZERS (by Archeryshack-COMING SOON)
    www.archeryshackstrings.com
    2013 Nemesis 35 (Black Carbon)
    2008 Slayer (Brushed Platinum)
    2007 Slayer (Gloss Black)

Post Thanks / Like

any pic to show???

interesting idea.
    2014 Alien Nitro , Sureloc Challenger + Viper Scope, Trophy Ridge Revolution, Easton Carbon One 500, Doinker Elite Supreme, Carter 2 Special.

Post Thanks / Like

Default Vibration Reduction

Did you do that to this bow?!
    ImageUploadedByTapatalk1400032041.021524.jpg

If you did, keep doing it.... This baby practically shoots itself! ;-)

5. Thanks mxtuner1 thanked for this post
    Likes mxtuner1 liked this post
    Post Thanks / Like

Pretty neat idea. I'd love to see some pics.

7. Thanks mxtuner1 thanked for this post
    Post Thanks / Like

Quote Originally Posted by Powerlineman83 View Post
    Did you do that to this bow?!
    ImageUploadedByTapatalk1400032041.021524.jpg

If you did, keep doing it.... This baby practically shoots itself! ;-)
    Lol, it really is basic mechanics, get perfectly aligned straight better than with human eye, make sure the limbs don't have any built in torque. Then it is up to you!
    Addicted to Slayers or Slayr's, have more than one. Probably enjoy the mechanical side of archery the best. I have really enjoyed the articles and the stories on this site. I strive to help others with what little knowledge I have.

Post Thanks / Like

makes sense to me. I agree, slap a patent on it asap. Much like some of the big bushings on a vehicle.
    2013 PANTERA w/ cloaked cams, PINK Meta peep, PINK/BROWN BSD strings, PINK/BROWN BowJax, Truglo Range Rover Pendulum Site, Shockwave Stabilizer
    2012 Onza III w/cloaked cams, Meta peep, Truglo Micro Brite, Shockwave Stabilizer
    2010 G5 Quest Primal
    True-Fire Hardcore and Winn Free Flight releases
    Maxima's tipped w/ RAGE broadheads (some w/ PINK fletching)

Post Thanks / Like

That bow I tuned but I am trying to keep it quiet on my abilities. Have too many projects now but never had one complaint on bows I have set up. It takes 6-8 hours to get right but I am a perfectionist. If not good enough for me, it's not good enough for you.

11. Likes CLT Bluesman, Arrow Splitter liked this post
    Post Thanks / Like

Quote Originally Posted by mxtuner1 View Post
    That bow I tuned but I am trying to keep it quiet on my abilities. Have too many projects now but never had one complaint on bows I have set up. It takes 6-8 hours to get right but I am a perfectionist. If not good enough for me, it's not good enough for you.
    LOL, the word is out on you Jim!!!!
    2007 Slayer, 55#, Nitrous C, Bodoodle rest, Limbsaver sight, Kwikee Kwiver 3 arrow, Aka "The Man in Black"
    1981 Martin Cougar II MT-6, 60#, Whisker Biscuit, Fuse sight. Kwikee Kwiver
    1984 Browning Deluxe Nomad II XL, 50#, Browning Rack & Pinion sight, Flipper II rest. Kwikee Kwiver

13. Thanks mxtuner1 thanked for this post