Thread: HHA sight optics

Post Thanks / Like

Lightbulb HHA sight optics

Ok guys need some help. I have 20/20 vision and never used any optics on a archery sight. The bow I have is both a target bow and hunting bow I call it a cross over bow. Is it worth investing a 130 bucks for a 2x, 4x, or a 6x buy .

Thx Pete
    Last edited by Tosi; 05-16-2014 at 08:46 AM.
    Ranger 6
    2011 Fire Cat 400 (Custom)
    2005 Martin SlayR
    2012 Mathews z7 Magnum
    2014 Mathews Creed
    2001 PSE Excellerator

Post Thanks / Like

Personally I wouldn't put a scope on it until the eyes say you need it. All my sights are the HHA 5519's, my eyes are so bad that I can't read the words on the cover of a magazine at arms length without my glasses. However, I don't wear glasses when I shoot and have no issues yet. When I start to have problems I'm going to use the clarifier/verifier peep first.
    I'm a Lefty

2011 Martin Ridge Hunter
    2012 Rytera Alien Z
    2008 Diamond Marquis
    2008 Diamond Marquis
    2009 Bowtech Sentinel
    2009 Bowtech Sentinel

Post Thanks / Like

I have to use a Speciality super peep with verifier in order to see my HHA 5519 pin and the target clearly, and use the hooded version on my hunting bow. I have a 2X lens on my 3D/Field bow, but avoid rainy days with it. The Hooded peep keeps the rain off the verifier lens. I need a hood for the 2X lens, rain drops will blur out the target, dust is also a problem. Can't see anything when the sun is shinning on the dust.
    Last edited by elkslayer4x5; 05-17-2014 at 12:02 PM.
    http://eastoutfitter.tripod.com/index.html
    http://www.cascadianbowmen.org/
    Martin 06 Slayer, Nitrous C, shoot thru, 63lb, Quiktune 3000, HAA OL 5519, Beman ICS Hunter
    Martin 06 Slayer, Nitrous C, Shoot thru, 55lb, Quiktune 3000, HHA OL 5519 2X, Easton A/C/C
    Ben Pearson 1968 'Cougar' 62" 45#s @ 28" recurve, parallel shaft POC, Zwickey 'Eskimo' 2 blade

Post Thanks / Like

Adding a lens for target/3D can be advantageous, but not very practical for hunting. Some of the cons are: Rain on a lens makes it virtually useless. Dust or bright sunlight can create glare or obscure vision. Fogging if taken from cold to heat is a possibility. If most of your hunting shots tend to be 30 yards or less there is no need for magnification as field of view decreases. 2X is almost worthless and 6X is too much except for controlled target work. 4X seems to be a nice compromise and usually won't require the need for a clarifier peep lens although a smaller peep aperture may be needed to keep the target clear (same for hunting). 6X will probably require the use of a clarifier or very small (1/16") peep.

Here again, all these cons can be controlled for a target setup. Not always so for hunting. On the plus side, you can use a lens for target/3D and just remove it for hunting.

To find out what suits you you should go to a shop that has a demo board with all the lenses (Verifier & clarifier) and the various " lens kit B" options. If you are truly interested it would be worth your time to find such a shop and see for yourself. Everybody's eyes are different so require a test drive. They're too expensive to just order on-line.

Lastly, I would not pay $130 for a lens kitB. If memory serves me correctly they retail for about $85. The use of a clarifier/verifier isn't cheap either. You'd need a Specialty peep for about $20 and clarifier/verifier would be almost $30. Try www.specialtyarchery.com and read their tutorials (FAQ).
    If You're Not Living on the Edge You're Taking Up Too Much Space
    Martin Gold Plus Staff Shooter
    Alien Mafia
    PSAA Life member, UBP Life member
    PADI AOW Diver

Post Thanks / Like

I use a 3 power for hunting and 3d's
    MARTIN BENGAL
    THE NEED FOR SPEED
    WALMART PRO STAFF SHOOTER

Post Thanks / Like

thanks, think Ill try a X4 for 3D.