Page 2 of 4 FirstFirst 1234 LastLast

Thread: Why does this happend?

Post Thanks / Like

What Hutch has shown is the cheapest, most effective, longing lasting solution. If they're installed properly, you'll never have a problem.

Best of luck to you.

String builder/ Super Moderator Hutch~n~Son Archery's Avatar
    Post Thanks / Like

Quote Originally Posted by 60X View Post
    Another vote for whiskers. What all silencers have you tried? What kind was that in the pic? Never seen them before
    I believe those are from Kenny Parson at Bowtuningtips.com

Hutch
    Bow String Depot Custom String Builders
    Need a string set pm or email me @ bowstringdepot@gmail.com
    or check us out @ http://bowstringdepot.com

Post Thanks / Like

I think he called them "Iron Crosses" or something like that.
    2008 Moab 70# The deer killing bow
    2008/12 Firecat 60#--- 2010 Warthog 70#
    2009 Warthog 70#---2009-10-12? Warthog Frankenbow with Nitrous B
    2010 Strother SR-71 65# & 2012 Strother Rush 65#
    2012 Strother SX Rush 60# & 2011 Strother Infinity 70#
    BSD strings and cables

Yeah, I know I'm grumpy and opinionated.

4. Likes Hutch~n~Son Archery liked this post
    Post Thanks / Like

Yeah they are dead air string silencers. I got them they looked nice put them on and 10 shots later that's what happened. Oh well. Going to try whiskers next.
    Using Tapatalk

Post Thanks / Like

There's another thing that could be contributing to this that is very seldom thought of. How tight are your nocks on the string? If the nocks are too tight then the string will be pulled forward at the shot causing the string silencers to hit the cables. Also, play with the distance they are from the cams. The farther away from the cam the more momentum they will have going forward at the shot with the possibility of them hitting the cables.
    If You're Not Living on the Edge You're Taking Up Too Much Space
    Martin Gold Plus Staff Shooter
    Alien Mafia
    PSAA Life member, UBP Life member
    PADI AOW Diver

Post Thanks / Like

I could be way off, but is this the 88# bow? If so, I recall many issues back in the shoulder buster era when many of us were pulling 80# +...this is likely why you ruin them in 10 shots...I could be way off, but that kind of poundage tends to work over whatever is attached to the string. Cat whiskers are probably the only string silencers I can think of that would last @ your DW.

Just my 2 cents
    Last edited by elcid99; 05-28-2014 at 07:43 AM.
    ARCHERSHACK STAFF
    Brownell Fury, BCY Trophy, & BCY X Strings
    PALMETTO STATE STABILIZERS (by Archeryshack-COMING SOON)
    www.archeryshackstrings.com
    2013 Nemesis 35 (Black Carbon)
    2008 Slayer (Brushed Platinum)
    2007 Slayer (Gloss Black)

Post Thanks / Like

I've been around all kinds of string silencers and none of them last forever, not even cat whiskers. Those in the string, bow jax and the like get punished and the higher the draw weight the more punishment. The more use and the more wear. Those in the string aren't supposed to be tied in. If slippage, yes, one nock set to keep them from creeping, but give room so there is no string pinch due to the nock.

Cat whiskers, nothing more than rubber bands actually. Rubber dries out.

Look at the rubber tubing for aligning the peep, it degenerates just from sitting around. Each year my hunting bow gets new rubber tubing. And years back I thought nothing of replacing aligning tubing 2 or 3 times during the 3D year. 20 and 25 3D events and tons of practice adds up to a lot wear.
    Former and current Back Yard Champion. I beat myself

Post Thanks / Like

Quote Originally Posted by Sonny Thomas View Post
    I've been around all kinds of string silencers and none of them last forever, not even cat whiskers. Those in the string, bow jax and the like get punished and the higher the draw weight the more punishment. The more use and the more wear. Those in the string aren't supposed to be tied in. If slippage, yes, one nock set to keep them from creeping, but give room so there is no string pinch due to the nock.

Cat whiskers, nothing more than rubber bands actually. Rubber dries out.

Look at the rubber tubing for aligning the peep, it degenerates just from sitting around. Each year my hunting bow gets new rubber tubing. And years back I thought nothing of replacing aligning tubing 2 or 3 times during the 3D year. 20 and 25 3D events and tons of practice adds up to a lot wear.
    100% agree. I believe the gentleman with this issue had one of the silencers break after letting a mere 10 arrows fly. At 88#s I would suspect either whiskers or a more stream lined silencer (like the little limbsavers) would last longer than the wide/flat silencers that ripped after such a low # of shots.

The gentleman said the wrap around Matthews style silencers fly off his bow. One idea would be to apply a bit of locktite, immediately before pulling the cat tail through, inside of the area where the cat tail is supposed to be locked in (where it slips through). This might work, but use a tiny amount so you don't glue the thing to your string.

Personally, I have been known to use rubber worms, yes the ones for bass fishing, with the same success as anything on the market.
    Last edited by elcid99; 05-28-2014 at 11:58 AM.
    ARCHERSHACK STAFF

10. Likes CLT Bluesman liked this post
    Post Thanks / Like

Most strings these days are made of Dyneema and Vectran in various percentages. Just what these two fibers really are is not in my feeble knowledge base, but I would assume some sort of man-made plastic. To that end I have Loctited the screws when installing a Kwikee quiver bracket and the Loctate literally distroyed the plastic bracket. So I would recommend being very careful about using Loctite on anything on the string. Same can be said for some glues. Read the "cautions" about what glues to not use on nocks. Some will weaken them. Might do the same thing to a string.
    If You're Not Living on the Edge You're Taking Up Too Much Space
    Martin Gold Plus Staff Shooter
    Alien Mafia
    PSAA Life member, UBP Life member
    PADI AOW Diver

Post Thanks / Like

Can't say what would happen. Just offering thoughts to help the fine man who shoots 88# keep them on the string. Definately do not use any glue on your strings!

I'll stop offering possible remedies to his problem....stick w old faithful- whiskers
    ARCHERSHACK STAFF