Thread: What size string??

Pastorslaughter

Default What size string??

I bought a Martin Blazer. It is a 2003 model with the Fuzion cam and I want to replace the strings. I looked on the chart at:
    http://www.martinarchery.com/chart/2...od-string.html

The chart says:
    TRACER MAGNUM Shoot String:86 1/2" Split String:35" However, when I measure it myself, I get 99.5 and 39.5

The strings are still on the bow and I am measuring the full length of the strings from end to end, working a tape measure around the cam and wheel the best I can, but there is no way I am THAT far off! What am I missing? (This is new to me).

Also, is there a cheap substitute for a bow press that anyone can recommend?

Thanks!

Pastorslaughter

Default I think this string is too long.

I am starting to think that the previous owner put the wrong string on this bow. According to the bow's specs, axle to axle should be 32.25 in. But as it sits, it is 37.5 in.Also, the cam appears to be slightly under-rotated.

I can't imagine why someone would put the wrong string on a bow. I bought it in a pawn shop and now it has me worried . . . But I don't see any damage to the bow anywhere.

Post Thanks / Like

If you want a cheep solution for a bowpress you should take a portable bowpress. They are not as comfortable as normal presses and also not this secure but are prtable and less in price. A good portable bowpress is the one from nitehawkarchery (or so).

You should take the lengths that are displayed by the chart as long as you can identify your bow exactly with the bows that are listed there. What says the sticker that should be on your lower limb?

You may go to the shop and ask why they sell this bow with the wrong strings/cables or should have a closer look to the limbs and so on.
    (2) Martin ShadowCat 2010

Pastorslaughter

The label on the bow limb is blank for the string & cable sizes. All the other info is there. It looks like they left it blank from the factory.

As far as the shop that sold it, the guy there didn't claim to know much about bows and I got a good price, so I'll just chalk it up to experience . . .

I really don't think there is anything wrong with the bow and once I get the right strings on it, hopefully it will be fine.

Thanks for the portable bowpress idea - I'll check it out!

flytier17

I just bought myself a Bowmaster portable press, and love it.

Post Thanks / Like

Hey. I own a bowmaster myself but have heard some rumours about the quality and broken cables. No prove for this yet. The nitehawkarchery has the vantage that it is far beyond the cables and string.
    (2) Martin ShadowCat 2010