Page 3 of 5 FirstFirst 12345 LastLast

Thread: A little bit perturbed

Post Thanks / Like

I can kind of see where contacting a current or former dealer could be beneficial; Martin no longer has parts on hand for the older models, and there is the outside chance that a dealer might or may know someone who does. It's disappointing that some of the older models may no longer be viable. But considering the cost of setting up and manufacturing older parts for models that are retired, I can see their dilemma. I think it has probably taken all that they have to resuscitate the brand and facilitate the production of new and current models.
    In God and guns we trust;
    • One nation, under God, indivisible, with liberty and justice for all.
    • A well regulated Militia, being necessary to the security of a free State, the right of the people to keep and bear Arms, shall not be infringed.

2011 Onza 3: 70#, 28.25 draw (AMO), 384 gr arrow, 288 fps
    2005 Saber: 70#, same arrow, 250 fps

Post Thanks / Like

Hope Ladies and Gents (categorize yourself) that you don't feel I was bashing...just bringing to light a situation that is bothering me. And I don't expect new Martin to warranty old Martin products. The company name had value...that's why it's still Martin. Name has almost as much power as Walter White in Breaking Bad when he made the cartel guys say "Heisenberg". We all know how customer service is king. Martin is improving and I don't expect overnight changes. They do think things through....even bringing back old employees in stages and the company is firing on at least 7 out of 8 cylinders now. A little tune up and adjustment and they will be a fine running machine. It is a challenge for any company to rebuild...and new Martin definitely is trying to make it work.
    Addicted to Slayers or Slayr's, have more than one. Probably enjoy the mechanical side of archery the best. I have really enjoyed the articles and the stories on this site. I strive to help others with what little knowledge I have.

3. Likes CLT Bluesman liked this post
    Post Thanks / Like

And now to jack my own thread...Sonny I used to race a 426 hemi car nearly every spring, summer and fall weekend. Sold the numbers matching car with the original parts for $3500, lol.
    Addicted to Slayers or Slayr's, have more than one. Probably enjoy the mechanical side of archery the best. I have really enjoyed the articles and the stories on this site. I strive to help others with what little knowledge I have.

Post Thanks / Like

Da Wabbit brings up another thought; this 'computer age' can be mighty handy.

Be it tractor dealers, junk yards or most any businesses that deal with parts, most all are affiliated with a 'parts network'. "We don't have that (obsolete) part, but an affiliate of ours back east does; can get it to you in about three days." I'm sure virtually all archery dealers nowadays have computer contact with their suppliers and could be mass contacted with 'we need this part' requests; even trusted individuals - MX, Sonny, bfisher and others of their ilk - might be allowed to participate. A centralized, KNOWLEDGEABLE contact at Martin is what is needed. As an added bonus, dealers and individuals with older Martin parts inventories would probably be eager to participate; wishing to turn parts they know they'll never use into a little money.... best to all... o

oh, and P.S. It wouldn't take long for a capable person to become 'knowledgeable' on older Martin bows, when that individual deals with them on an ongoing basis. In other words, a dealer might be confronted with a problem with a particular older bow once in a year or more; once in a lifetime, perhaps. He'd have to start from scratch learning about it THEN figuring out any problems. Our Martin antique parts man; "Oh, yeah, I ran into this problem twice last week; one in Florida and one from Yellowknife, up in Canada. What you need is......."
    Last edited by otisT; 05-29-2014 at 04:51 PM.
    Anything I may post is in no way meant to besmirch anyone or any entity in any way, so please don't take it, wrongly, as such. Thank You.

6. Thanks mxtuner1 thanked for this post
    Likes CLT Bluesman, mxtuner1 liked this post
    Post Thanks / Like

I did make a pretty strong statement in my first post.I didn't mean to imply that I would leave Martin.I have 7 of them now and have been shooting them for over 30yrs.In that time I have only owned 2 bows that weren't Martins.I just love the way we could build totally different bows from different parts,my current project is a RazorX with 16in limbs and Cat2 cams.They can have my Martins when the pry my cold,dead fingers from them.

8. Likes CLT Bluesman liked this post
    Post Thanks / Like

Quote Originally Posted by novich69 View Post
    I did make a pretty strong statement in my first post.I didn't mean to imply that I would leave Martin.I have 7 of them now and have been shooting them for over 30yrs.In that time I have only owned 2 bows that weren't Martins.I just love the way we could build totally different bows from different parts,my current project is a RazorX with 16in limbs and Cat2 cams.They can have my Martins when the pry my cold,dead fingers from them.
    Man, I really liked this quote. I'm with you novich69, "from my cold dead hands" I did not experiment like you and others. I had my 1982 Cougar II as my only Martin until just this year, but I love that ole Lucille. And I am not going to neglect her just because I have the "Man in black" in my stable. Long live Martin!!
    2007 Slayer, 55#, Nitrous C, Bodoodle rest, Limbsaver sight, Kwikee Kwiver 3 arrow, Aka "The Man in Black"
    1981 Martin Cougar II MT-6, 60#, Whisker Biscuit, Fuse sight. Kwikee Kwiver
    1984 Browning Deluxe Nomad II XL, 50#, Browning Rack & Pinion sight, Flipper II rest. Kwikee Kwiver

Post Thanks / Like

BLUF; they new Martain (CEO) is not worried about the old. They are thinking the new. They believe the strong follower will be Martin Strong, but they really don't care. They are looking to the new young buyer. Bussiness 101 after almost going to the deep 6. Been there done that. Stay Martin strong. The 2015 models at the archey show will be the test.
    Last edited by Tosi; 05-29-2014 at 10:21 PM.
    Ranger 6
    2011 Fire Cat 400 (Custom)
    2005 Martin SlayR
    2012 Mathews z7 Magnum
    2014 Mathews Creed
    2001 PSE Excellerator

11. Likes NuttyNative liked this post
    Post Thanks / Like

The Pearson forums is gone now, but before it was dropped the want of and questions of old bows was a strong running 2nd to anything. Well, the shop has quite few old Pearsons yet, but not even close to what was asked of in the Pearson forums. All of the wood riser compounds are gone and the ones we had were called 20 and 12 gauges (like in shotguns). The last PM I received was for specs of the 38 Special, another firearms named bow. Unknown and probably sadly, the move of Pearson may had one of the oldest Pearson employee retire. He had oodles of brain stored information.

At the shop for Martin;
    Some modules from a Bengal 2008. A 2008 left handed Leopard. And a TRG/SOS....Not at the shop is a 1980s Martin belt buckle

Track down old, old Martin dealers. It was before this new forum, I believe, I posted of the Kam Act bow. This old Martin dealer had dang near everything to rebuild one or two or three....Hard telling what else he might have for around that time period.
    Sandy, his wife, shot a Kam Act and she was either a NFAA Section, Regional or National Champion.

Again, at the shop; We have a box full of old (new) modules, but for what bows I don't know. Old (new) mounting plates and adjustable brass sight pins. Old (new) Jennings, I think, quivers still their original boxes.
    Several old compound bows in the back room and hard telling what's up in the attic and the only way to tackle the attic is with a "scoop shovel" and a giant box at the bottom of the fold up stairs to pitch stuff in and then sort through.....
    Former and current Back Yard Champion. I beat myself

Post Thanks / Like

Sonny,

If you ever get a chance to check out the modules in that dusty old box I could possibly use one from a Pearson or Parker single cam bow. It would be marked SBH or SAH. The "A" or "B" designates the draw length. I have a cam and idler wheel from a 2002 McPherson Innihilator that just might become part of a project bow one of these days.

I shot for Pearson from 2000 to 2004. Anaconda was my first shooter bow. Then the Innihilator in 2002. 2003 called for the 38 Special--what a nice bow. Lastly I had a Freedom that, once I joined Martin in 2004, it hung around gathering dust till I decided to give it to a young lad that was just starting out. This idler wheel is kind of unique in that it has dual tracks as the string was a two part affair. Actually it was two cables and a shorter string than most single cams. Pearson made some fine bows back then with the 38 Special being my favorite. For what it's worth it got it's name from it's a2a length of 38".
    If You're Not Living on the Edge You're Taking Up Too Much Space
    Martin Gold Plus Staff Shooter
    Alien Mafia
    PSAA Life member, UBP Life member
    PADI AOW Diver

Post Thanks / Like

I can attest to the new company not having much more than empty buildings with little to no parts for older bows. I was very lucky to have had my 08 Firecat almost completely rebuilt the first of this year with new parts - new Nitro 3 cams, new roto-cups, new limbs new cables and string. During this time I had the opportunity to talk with the owner of Prairie Archery in Grangeville, ID who's had a long and close relationship with Martin. He said the new owners literally bought the company that was comprised of almost nothing more than buildings with bare walls and ceilings and no parts for the most part, making it very difficult for them to take care of older models and even newer ones. He put me in touch with John Nelson, the new Customer Service Mgr, and he was the one who handled my bow's repairs and did a splendid job in getting it rebuilt for me. And they did this even though the new owners were not legally obligated to warranty the bow. They are working to get the company running like it should be, but starting with what little they had and rebuilding it is quite an undertaking - getting parts built/restocked, design new products and get dealers to take on the line again due to the bad rap Martin got during the last few years. What they did for me has rekindled my opinion that the new Martin company is really trying to re-establish itself as one that cares for customers, old and new and strives to have quality products and customer service that competes head on with the best of the best.
    08/12 Martin Firecat Pro-X (29" DL, 67,5# DW), Nitro 3 cams, home-made bent cable guard rod, new VEMs, DS Advantage/HHA Pro-5519 front sight, No-Peep Sight Eliminator, Limb-Driver arrow rest, B-Stinger stabilizer, custom lower & upper STS with offset stops, G5 Head-Loc quiver on custom mounting bracket. Gold Tip Velocity XT300 arrows with Bi-Delta 2.5" Sharkstooth vanes and Grizzly single-bevel broadheads, 498 grains at 262 fps (22% FOC)

15. Likes otisT liked this post