Thread: Martin MT 6 Cougar II

Post Thanks / Like

Default Martin MT 6 Cougar II

Posted this in the main tech forum but thought I'd also give the general forum a shot with needing some help bringing a classic back to life.

I was just wondering if anyone had any suggestions on accessories for a Martin MT 6 Cougar II compoud bow that has been handed down through the family to me? The bow is in great condition but with no sights, arrow rest and I am pretty sure it may need new string. Everything else is excellent though. Looking to get it hunt ready but I am unsure as to what type of string I should use with this bow as well as other accessories such as maybe a whisker biscuit, sights etc.

The cams look like they are in great condition too but if Martin has any upgrades for a bow like this, I know its an older bow but it is one I would like to keep and work with! The cables look good but I hear many local shops like dicks wont work on older cables like this.

Any info would be helpful! Thanks!

2. Thanks CLT Bluesman thanked for this post
    Likes CLT Bluesman liked this post
    Post Thanks / Like

I will say it first...pictures rule! Then we will know what cams you have, and whether it takes modules for YOUR draw length. It might not even fit you, but we will try to help.
    Addicted to Slayers or Slayr's, have more than one. Probably enjoy the mechanical side of archery the best. I have really enjoyed the articles and the stories on this site. I strive to help others with what little knowledge I have.

Post Thanks / Like

5. Thanks mxtuner1 thanked for this post
    Likes CLT Bluesman liked this post
    Post Thanks / Like

Thanks for the help and responding. I know there are better bows and probably a more hassle free way to bow hunt but its been in the family a while and would like to get it back shooting. Hoping to gain a lot of valuable knowledge about bow mechanics during the process as well. I believe it is missing a cable guard/slide so thinking of making the investment since I hear its bad for your cables to touch.

Post Thanks / Like

Believe the cams are aluminum btw. Oh, and about a 5 or 6 inch gap/split where the cam sits.
    THINK the string is 42 inches. 1 tear drop upper limb and 1 on lower limb.
    Last edited by atkinsn; 10-12-2014 at 08:19 PM.

Post Thanks / Like

lol dont know how many old timers we have but Hopefully the may know a thing or two. Lancaster archery suggest a whisker biscuit, a tru glow sight and B50 compound bow string. I just like the overall look of the traditional bow.

Post Thanks / Like

My dream has come true!!! Finally, finally, another person on this forum that has and wants too shoot a cougar II! I finally switched last year from the flipper rest to a whisker biscuit. I also upgraded the original sight to a fuse sight. Mine does have a cable guard that I bought shortly after I purchased the bow in 1981. Although I really don't think it needs it. I shot my first bow deer with it just last year. It is a great bow, and when it came out, it was the fastest bow you could get. Mine is the edition just prior to yours. Mine has the Delrin wheels. Hard black plastic. Your wheels came a year or two later. They yoked the wheels then also. What is the weight and draw? They had a 30 percent and 50 percent let off. A classic bow. I want to be buried with mine!
    2007 Slayer, 55#, Nitrous C, Bodoodle rest, Limbsaver sight, Kwikee Kwiver 3 arrow, Aka "The Man in Black"
    1981 Martin Cougar II MT-6, 60#, Whisker Biscuit, Fuse sight. Kwikee Kwiver
    1984 Browning Deluxe Nomad II XL, 50#, Browning Rack & Pinion sight, Flipper II rest. Kwikee Kwiver

Post Thanks / Like

I reread your post. Are you saying the limb is cracked? As far as the cable guard goes, when Martin introduced it, it was just a rod to keep the cables out from the string. They still touched. When I first got this bow in 1981, I shot the first year without the guard, and I shot great groups out to 40 yards. I got the guard because they were the new thing back then, and no difference in the groups, but the bow seemed harder to draw back. Was not as smooth. Don't know why, but it just felt like it too me. Anyway the whisker works great. In fact I just figured out that I have been shooting helical fletch through it, and they still grouped great. I was using the XX75 arrows from back in the day, and forgot that they were fletched like that.
    2007 Slayer, 55#, Nitrous C, Bodoodle rest, Limbsaver sight, Kwikee Kwiver 3 arrow, Aka "The Man in Black"
    1981 Martin Cougar II MT-6, 60#, Whisker Biscuit, Fuse sight. Kwikee Kwiver
    1984 Browning Deluxe Nomad II XL, 50#, Browning Rack & Pinion sight, Flipper II rest. Kwikee Kwiver