Thread: Scuffed or lightly scratched acrlic or plastic lens

Post Thanks / Like

Default Scuffed or lightly scratched acrlic or plastic lens

Out of necessity you need repairs when replacement isn't possible of immediate. I was practicing for this past weekends ASA 3D Qualifier when decided my scope lens needed cleaning. It has tiny spots here and there. Evidently, these spots were tiny sap droppings from the evergreen tree that I shoot under, but then I didn't know these spots were sap. Garage right at hand and this Windex no streak window cleaner available I began to clean. Soaked the lens and started drying with a clean soft cloth. Not paying attention, cloth rather big I didn't notice the hazy was scuffs and scratches. Lord! Held the lens up and could barely see the 25 yard target face. Try to wipe the hazy away and wouldn't go away. Ruined was all I could think. Half a dozen lenses laying around and not one of them would fit this Extreme Eagle Scope Housing. So I tried to other scope housing and lenses and I didn't care for them. Look in the Lancaster catalog and couldn't find my odd ball size lens, 1.737" in diameter. 1.625" and 1.750", sure, but no 1.737".

Desperate, I jump on the internet and Google polish plastic lenses. Bang. First try and there was "Removing scratches from acrylic and plastic lenses." Brass Polish. Yes, brass polish for cleaning brass, copper, silver and so on. Brasso and a couple others were given. Right in "My Leave It Alone" basket was Simichrome Polish. Hey, I hand polished a entire 1972 Harley Sportster with Simichrome back in my terrorizing the street days. You have to look up Removing scratches to get the correct instructions, but cotton balls, cotton swabs, soft cloths will work.

This removing of scratches is not for the weak of heart or those in a rush. It plain just takes time. Best results for me was a soft cloth and polishing until the Simichrome was dry and then use a soft cloth to light buff. Two sides to every story, two sides to every lens and you can't tell if you got the scratches out until you polish both side. Mercy....

I got it done. Whew! But I only got the main center of the lens clear on the first good polishing. I don't know, about a hour and then later, after the 3D, another hour before I most all the lens clear. The tiny bit on the edge of the lens didn't matter as the lens set on a ledge and the ledge covers up the hazy yet edges of the lens.

Tried to take some pictures. If it wasn't raining, it was drizzling and then overcast. So I got flash back on the lens. Even so you can see there are no scratches now.
    On both pictures, look at 9:00 on the lens, about 1/16" in and down a 1/4" is a gray area. That's how the lens looked before polishing.
    Attached Images Attached Images
    Former and current Back Yard Champion. I beat myself

Post Thanks / Like

Sonny, you do know you wouldn't have that problem if you were to shoot without sights......
    Don.
    I am sponsered by Louie Rangle-- Gator Feathers by Gator vanes...www.gatorvanes.com Deer Crossing Target shafts. Specialty Archery Timberdoodle ll rest. Bow String Depot Cables and String.
    I Shoot a 2012-SepterV and a 2011-Shadowcat
    I shoot Bowhunter, not barebow--fingers non-sights.
    Enter-ZESTY at checkout at Deer Crossing Archery- http://deercrossingarchery.com/
    For a 10% discount on all products, other than ECO Hunter shafts.

3. Likes Arrow Splitter liked this post
    Post Thanks / Like

what about it taking the anti reflexive coat off the lens ???
    MARTIN BENGAL
    THE NEED FOR SPEED
    WALMART PRO STAFF SHOOTER

5. Likes otisT liked this post
    Post Thanks / Like

Ten, don't know. No problems so far....

Post Thanks / Like

Quote Originally Posted by Don B View Post
    Sonny, you do know you wouldn't have that problem if you were to shoot without sights......
    Don.
    LOL Now that's a good one. Sorry Sonny.

A.S
    2011 Martin Firecat 400/NAP Apache Dropaway/Truglo Xtreme Sight/Custom 8" Stabilizer/Victory V6 Arrows
    2007 Martin Jaguar /Trophy Taker Dropaway/Extreme Sight/Custom 21" Stabilizer/Victory V6 Arrows
    Bow String Depot, Custom String Builders email us @ bowstringdepot@gmail.com

Post Thanks / Like

Quote Originally Posted by Don B View Post
    Don.
    Yeah, but them little 1 1/2" 12 point rings is what we go for and a scope helps....

Post Thanks / Like

Another thing to try is Meguiars Clear Plastic Cleaner. Get it at an auto parts store. It's a cleaner/polish that works great on plastic lenses.
    2006 Rytera Bullet X 60#---2008 Moab 70#
    2008/12 Firecat 60#--- 2010 Warthog 70#
    2009 Warthog 70#---2009-10-12? Warthog Frankenbow with Nitrous B
    2010 Strother SR-71 65# & 2012 Strother Rush 65#
    2012 Strother SX Rush 60# & 2011 Strother Infinity 70#
    BSD strings and cables

Yeah, I know I'm grumpy and opinionated.