Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast

Thread: Bow suggestions

Post Thanks / Like

Default Bow suggestions

I'm looking for a new bow and so far my favorite has been the new lithium. Any suggestions on what I should get or look at?

Super Moderator FishingandHuntingUSA's Avatar
    Post Thanks / Like

Are you hunting, 3D shooting or both or just shooting

Post Thanks / Like

welcome to the forum
    MARTIN BENGAL
    THE NEED FOR SPEED
    WALMART PRO STAFF SHOOTER

Post Thanks / Like

I'm mainly just going to use it for hunting but in the future i do plan to get into some 3D shoots. Right now I'm shooting a Martin fire hawk and I love it, there's probably no reason to get a new one but I just feel the need for something new. I'm only 16 so my price range can't be to high, I'm just looking for something new and improved is all

Post Thanks / Like

14 eclypse in classifieds for $375 - pretty good deal right there. FHUsa could set you up proper as well I'd think.
    2014 Lithium :: 2007 Cheetah :: Jaguar Take-down
    REAL AVID Field Staff / Bucks and Beards Scents Field Staff

Post Thanks / Like

IF you were just going to be hunting and assuming in a tree stand and wanting a shorter ata my brother just got a PSE Sinister brand new off ebay for $250.00. That to me is a heck of a bow for the money which when I was 16 price was the most important thing. I would never steer anyone away from Martin, they make fantastic bows. BUT, if you are on a budget and wanting something new most shops/box stores have RTS (ready to shoot) packages starting at under $400.00. Worth looking into, as the most important thing is keeping someone in archery, not pushing one brand or the other.
    Genesis 21:20 - And God was with the lad; and he grew, and dwelt in the wilderness, and became an archer.

Super Moderator FishingandHuntingUSA's Avatar
    Post Thanks / Like

250.00 you should buy one then, you will not find a new bow any where else for that price.

8. Likes webbnate_45, Arrow Splitter liked this post
    Post Thanks / Like

After way toooo! many bow that have passed though my hands, when it come to archery money is not everthing. Some of the best bow that I'v owned like the Martin Pantera's was just one heck of a all around bow. Or the ONZA, can be used as a tree stand and or spot and stock. Also darn good 3D fram also. Mid range bows seemed to have everthing that the top of the line bows do just not the Cady sticker and or the better string or inserts. I'm not much of a PSE fan as the one's that I have had all jumped. Not a forgiving set up. But if your looking just to go out and shoot and hunt once in a while then a Sinsiter for Ya.
    Ranger 6
    2011 Fire Cat 400 (Custom)
    2005 Martin SlayR
    2012 Mathews z7 Magnum
    2011 Prime Centerod
    2001 PSE Excellerator

Post Thanks / Like

I've shot a few Martins in the past ('08 MOAB, '06 Slayer Nitrous-X) and have owned 2 PSE bows ('13 DNA, '13 Phenom) in the last two years and I'm quite familiar with another ('13 Drive) and there seem to be drastic differences in the valley between the two manufacturers. The PSEs tend to have a very short valley and will want to take off on you quick from anchor... mostly because PSE believes in speed bows. This can be adjusted by toying with the draw modules but you lose efficiency/speed in the process. PSE makes great bows, don't get me wrong, after shooting them the past two years I've come to realize they are not my cup of tea. The short valley is less exaggerated on their single cam bows (I shot a '12 Bowmadness 3G that was really nice).

I will say both manufacturers have very smooth draw cycles (compared to a '10 Darton 3500 I had, and a '10 Bowtech Destroyer 350 I still own) and the back walls on both are fairly solid, with the PSEs being slightly softer (which I adjusted with aftermarket draw stops). I still own the Phenom (an absolutely love the accuracy of the bow) but I prefer the valley/speed on the Destroyer and shoot it much more often... the Phenom may be sold soon.

I'm not crazy about the reliability of PSEs either, as I've had issues with cam modules and draw stops coming loose on the two that I've owned at the most inopportune times... even when adding blue Loctite to the screws. You have to consistently check the modules before/after shooting to be sure.

Post Thanks / Like

I agree with tosi that money is not everything. But for some, money plays a big part in the decision. (it does for me) I was lucky and got my new Nemesis off ebay for $265.00. And my brother was equally as lucky to get his sinister for $250.00. His is a $400.00 bow and mine is even more than that if it were bought from the shop. I would much rather give my money to a local dealer and support the business, but when on a budget you have to buy what makes financial sense for you and your family. As for reliability, I can't say one way or another about the PSE yet. As for my Martin, it has not been reliable. (shoots awesome though and I still love it) Limbs are already splintering and in the process of getting them warrantied and replaced. At less than 200 shots this isn't something I would think anyone would be ok with. Martin is replacing them though and Jake was a big help when I was finally able to get a call back. All this is somewhat off topic from the posters question and I apologize if I hijacked the thread. IMO the solution to your question is simple. Go to a shop with an idea of what you want to spend on a bow. Test some out in your price range and buy the one that is the most comfortable to you. We all have our preferences, and what works great for one may not feel right to you. Good luck in your search and hope ya find a great bow!
    Genesis 21:20 - And God was with the lad; and he grew, and dwelt in the wilderness, and became an archer.