Thread: Uh-Oh....What the heck just happened to my Panther TD?????

Live in Boerne TX. Work where the oil is found.
    Post Thanks / Like

Default Uh-Oh....What the heck just happened to my Panther TD?????

So there I was......Out in my backyard with the brand spanking new Martin Panther TD in hand. I had set it up with a really low mounted Whisker Biscuit in order to get as close to "off the shelf" level as possible over my hand. Nock was set, arrow was a Gold Tip Hunter 55-75 with a 100gr field point. I was on my 15th or 16th shot and when I let fly, she makes an un-Godly noise and the string jumps off of the top notch set.
    Upon inspection, there is now a sliver of glass missing up near the string notch and there is an odd feeling (for lack of a better term) step off inside the notch rather than a smooth string groove.

I don't know exactly what happened but I'm a bit timid to let fly with any more arrows until I know what happened to the bow or what I did to it. Have a call in to Martin Tech but don't know when I'll hear back from them.
    Any ideas on how I screwed this up?
    Thanks,
    Doc
    Semper Fi! Corpsman Up!

Life Member of PETA
    (People for the Eating of Tasty Animals))

Post Thanks / Like

Are you shooting veins? We noticed that shooting veins through a whisker bisquit you cannot have it set very low. ignore the shelf on your whisker bisquit set up. it looks like you lost your limb tip reinforcement actually.

Post Thanks / Like

Limb tip reinforcement is on the other side of the limb. See 2nd photo.
    Call Martin and get the limbs replaced, there is nothing that you could have done while shooting the bow to have caused that. A defective limb.
    http://eastoutfitter.tripod.com/index.html
    http://www.cascadianbowmen.org/
    Martin 06 Slayer, Nitrous C, shoot thru, 63lb, Quiktune 3000, HAA OL 5519, Beman ICS Hunter
    Martin 06 Slayer, Nitrous C, Shoot thru, 55lb, Quiktune 3000, HHA OL 5519 2X, Easton A/C/C
    Ben Pearson 1968 'Cougar' 62" 45#s @ 28" recurve, parallel shaft POC, Zwickey 'Eskimo' 2 blade

Post Thanks / Like

If you have to, call again and ask for Chris Carter or one of the other guys in the Traditional side of the company. I can't say for sure but you may have had a the same problem as I did with my Diablo TD. The string on these bows is not very good and stretches like an old rubber band. This drops the brace height to unacceptable tolerances. When it gets too low the string rides out of the groove near the limb tip and can twist the limb. The result can end up being a derailment. It happened to me when I first shot mine; two times in the first ten shots. I had to put 45 twists in the string to get the brace where it should be. A week later I had to add 15 more twists. That's when I got hold of Hutch and ordered a string made of Trophy.

Brace height should be 7" to 7 1/4". I set mine at 7 1/8" and it hasn't moved in a year. Fortunately mine didn't suffer and limb damage. You weren't so lucky.
    If You're Not Living on the Edge You're Taking Up Too Much Space
    Martin Gold Plus Staff Shooter
    Alien Mafia
    PSAA Life member, UBP Life member
    PADI AOW Diver

Post Thanks / Like

Ive been twisting mine as well a LOT its almost like the strings are an inch too long.

Post Thanks / Like

Like Barry said, a quality string is the answer.
    http://eastoutfitter.tripod.com/index.html
    http://www.cascadianbowmen.org/
    Martin 06 Slayer, Nitrous C, shoot thru, 63lb, Quiktune 3000, HAA OL 5519, Beman ICS Hunter
    Martin 06 Slayer, Nitrous C, Shoot thru, 55lb, Quiktune 3000, HHA OL 5519 2X, Easton A/C/C
    Ben Pearson 1968 'Cougar' 62" 45#s @ 28" recurve, parallel shaft POC, Zwickey 'Eskimo' 2 blade