Page 2 of 2 FirstFirst 12

Thread: Switching to 3 Under

Post Thanks / Like

I switched to 3-under last January only because Lancaster Archery teaches it for their "beginners" session, which I took. It improved my score by greatly reducing "thrown" arrows. I still shoot with my index finger in the corner of my mouth...it just brings the arrow a bit closer to my eye. When you start shooting 3-under your arrows will be low. After 6 arrows, your brain will get the message to correct that. In my case, I think it improved my release rather than my aim.

Post Thanks / Like

Quote Originally Posted by Joe H View Post
    I switched to 3-under last January only because Lancaster Archery teaches it for their "beginners" session, which I took. It improved my score by greatly reducing "thrown" arrows. I still shoot with my index finger in the corner of my mouth...it just brings the arrow a bit closer to my eye. When you start shooting 3-under your arrows will be low. After 6 arrows, your brain will get the message to correct that. In my case, I think it improved my release rather than my aim.
    You might have a cleaner release because your fingers are not pinched by the string angle with the arrow nock between them. Probably another reason the grandson likes 3 under better, he also get a better release.
    http://eastoutfitter.tripod.com/index.html
    http://www.cascadianbowmen.org/
    Martin 06 Slayer, Nitrous C, shoot thru, 63lb, Quiktune 3000, HAA OL 5519, Beman ICS Hunter
    Martin 06 Slayer, Nitrous C, Shoot thru, 55lb, Quiktune 3000, HHA OL 5519 2X, Easton A/C/C
    Ben Pearson 1968 'Cougar' 62" 45#s @ 28" recurve, parallel shaft POC, Zwickey 'Eskimo' 2 blade

Post Thanks / Like

Definitely going to be sticking with this now that I have tried it, decided to stick with blank bail shooting for a while to really get used to it. Aiming shouldn't be a problem once I get used to the slight form differences. Definitely getting a cleaner release with the shorter Mamba, less finger pinch; tried it with the Hunter, too, will need to spend some time with that bow soon.

I have noticed a couple things with the change. A retune was/is needed, I knew the nock point had to come up, have that pretty close now. But it also looks like my shafts are now a little weak, based on bareshaft flight. This might be a result of better alignment and a slightly longer draw length(will have to measure again). It seems my alignment is better because I need to wear an armguard again, the string sometimes brushes my forearm. I have seen some of the better shooters mention that you should need one if your form is good.
    Recurves: 40lb X-200, 45 & 50lb Hunters, 45lb Mamba

Post Thanks / Like

Default two under but

Martin Diablo. 35# 28inch draw. 29 inch Carbon Express predator II 2040 with 100 grain points.
    I am shooting two under using a finger tab. I have skin thickening as shown on my hand. I once read that calluses mean you are shooting wrong. I don't use an arm guard, because I was fraying my string where it was hitting the guard. I get a little slap some time on my arm, but my string doesn't fray any more. I also thought that if it was hitting my arm hard enough to fray the string, then my shots were probably not as smooth as they should be. Mmmm, So much to ponder.
    Attached Images Attached Images

Post Thanks / Like

Steve.. Try a deeper hook, settle the string in the crease of the first joints of your fingers. You'll get a better release. I know it sounds counter productive, but it does work better. From what your picture is showing, you're holding the string on the pads of your fingers and that will develop calluses. As for hitting your forearm, with very little effort, you can twist your elbow out and away from the string. Over stretching can cause your bow arm to bow into the string path. I also don't use an arm guard. Don't need one.
    http://eastoutfitter.tripod.com/index.html
    http://www.cascadianbowmen.org/
    Martin 06 Slayer, Nitrous C, shoot thru, 63lb, Quiktune 3000, HAA OL 5519, Beman ICS Hunter
    Martin 06 Slayer, Nitrous C, Shoot thru, 55lb, Quiktune 3000, HHA OL 5519 2X, Easton A/C/C
    Ben Pearson 1968 'Cougar' 62" 45#s @ 28" recurve, parallel shaft POC, Zwickey 'Eskimo' 2 blade

6. Thanks Stevtech thanked for this post