Page 2 of 3 FirstFirst 123 LastLast

Thread: 70lb Cheetah maxes at 60lb

Post Thanks / Like

Quote Originally Posted by GB3YO View Post
    Got me stumped to do u have any pics of your bow
    I certainly could post pics GB, though in this case not sure how they would help. Its just an 08 Cheetah with 09 limbs and the Mpro cam. Thanks a million for your consideration.

Post Thanks / Like

Quote Originally Posted by jujuscisyn View Post
    I have an 08 70lb Cheetah, back in 2010 I cracked a limb. The replacement limb was a 4h. I believe the cracked limb was a 5L. I don't recall checking after I replaced the limbs but I just checked my draw weight and with the limbs bottomed out the bow only draws 60lbs. I've checked the specs. b.h. is 7" and a.t.a. is 30". Before the limb swap the bow would bottom at 72lbs. Any Ideas how to get this bow up to 70lbs? I appreciate any help I can get. I don't think I can twist up the cable and make up 10lbs and keep it in specs. Anyway the limbs could have weakened?
    Did the bow draw lighter after the 4H limb was installed? Or did the draw weight just feel lighter this year? It is not common for a limb or limbs to suddenly lose tension, ( Draw weight ) or as you say weaken.
    http://eastoutfitter.tripod.com/index.html
    http://www.cascadianbowmen.org/
    Martin 06 Slayer, Nitrous C, shoot thru, 63lb, Quiktune 3000, HAA OL 5519, Beman ICS Hunter
    Martin 06 Slayer, Nitrous C, Shoot thru, 55lb, Quiktune 3000, HHA OL 5519 2X, Easton A/C/C
    Ben Pearson 1968 'Cougar' 62" 45#s @ 28" recurve, parallel shaft POC, Zwickey 'Eskimo' 2 blade

Post Thanks / Like

A fair amount of both. Yes the bow definitely drew lighter and I could feel the 4-5 lb difference. Then, when it came down to 60lb, that was really noticeable and prompted me to go through the bow and at about this time every year I go through and retune the bow anyway, give it a once over including checking specs and draw weights and put it in the bows notes. That way if something is amiss I can go back through and see what changed. I, however, have never messed up the string and cable twists before and not sure what is going on. Like I said I got it back to 66 but the ata is creeping in. I'm going to check again this morning and see if the draw weight has changed overnight

Post Thanks / Like

Checked this morning and with limbs bottomed DW still holding at 66lb. ATA is 29 7/8". Thre string and cable measure dead on at 84.5" and 31.5" respectively. Not sure whats left to do, keep twisting till I get diminishing returns?

Post Thanks / Like

Is this a factory string/cable set, or a custom set? It sound like the former,and that its streching. If it stays where it is now, 66lbs is plenty to hunt with, not many water buffalo wandering around loose here in the U.S....although there are a few place in Texas where you can find one, Flordia as well.
    Part of your problem is the slight mismatch of your limbs, a 4H and a 5L. but for now I'd be happy with the 66#s.
    Martin 06 Slayer, Nitrous C, shoot thru, 63lb, Quiktune 3000, HAA OL 5519, Beman ICS Hunter
    Martin 06 Slayer, Nitrous C, Shoot thru, 55lb, Quiktune 3000, HHA OL 5519 2X, Easton A/C/C
    Ben Pearson 1968 'Cougar' 62" 45#s @ 28" recurve, parallel shaft POC, Zwickey 'Eskimo' 2 blade

Post Thanks / Like

Hey, thanks for the help elk. both limbs are 4h. When the 08 5L limb cracked they were both replaced with 09 4h limbs(I believe the real problem year for cracking limbs). The strings are vapor trail. No stretch and measure perfect. I have now come to accept that the 55-70# bow that I purchased is now a 55-66# bow. It is now very clear to me what I must do, thank you all for your help but I got it from here.

Post Thanks / Like

Don't kill yourself over 4# ...
    2014 Lithium :: 2007 Cheetah :: Jaguar Take-down
    REAL AVID Field Staff / Bucks and Beards Scents Field Staff

Post Thanks / Like

Quote Originally Posted by jujuscisyn View Post
    I have now come to accept that the 55-70# bow that I purchased is now a 55-66# bow. .
    Actually, probably best classed as a 50 to 65lb bow.

just as a maybe interesting story, I have a AlienX bow from the first batch produced in 2009 (bought as a leftover bow from the main dealer over here a couple or so years ago).
    Although marked as a 45-60lb bow, the Barnsdale limbs are marked as 155 deflection (should be 135 for 60lb) so in reallity is a 40 to 55lb bow.
    Max poundage is 56.
    I use it for 3D and it shoots really well, I like the fact that in years to come when my worn out body gets even more frail, I will be able to turn it down and keep shooting.

Kev
    2009 AlienX
    2009 AlienX (not a misprint, I have two)
    2010 AlienX
    I have other bows as well

9. Likes TEN RING liked this post
    Post Thanks / Like

Don't misunderstand, this bow is a shooter with a dozen deer under its belt. 8 of those 12 when it was 67lbs. I actually got the bow back up to 70 but it took some aggressive twisting. It seriously over rotated the cam with not much string groove showing, lost two fps and I didn't like the way the y cable looked so I took two twists out of the cable and it is right around 66lbs now. My main concern was that the draw weight had lost nearly 10 lbs. She isn't the fastest belle at the ball, but she slays. The only complaint I have is lack of pass through's with mechanical heads.

Post Thanks / Like

Have you concidered fixed broadheads?

12. Likes Arrow Splitter liked this post