Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast

Thread: New Martin Silencer Owner needing advise

Post Thanks / Like

Default New Martin Silencer Owner needing advise

I've joined the dark side and bought myself a used (but only fired twice) Martin Silencer Nitro Cam 45-60# Compound Bow.
    I've been learning on Recurve for a while now and I've decided it's not for me so took the plunge with this bow as it was a bargain price.....

It's arrived in a 29" draw length setup (number 5 on module) and my draw length is around 26.5"/27", a short draw I know but I'm only 5'5" built male and can only use what I've got.....
    I've adjusted it done to number 1 on the module which I assume it 27", and the draw stop I've left at half way between - and +.

I know there are modules out there if you have a long draw, but is there any modules out there for my bow that is say 26" to 29" to give me a bit more adjustment to suit my small height, or is there anything I can do to the draw stop to tweak it a bit more?

Sorry if this is an idiotic question, but I am new.

Many thank in advance

Post Thanks / Like

If you move the draw stop towards the - it will shorten the draw length a bit and will also decrease your let off. The opposite going towards the +, at least that's the way it works on my fury XT cam and I'm pretty sure it's the same on yours.

Post Thanks / Like

Dark Side?!
    2014 Lithium :: 2007 Cheetah :: Jaguar Take-down
    REAL AVID Field Staff / Bucks and Beards Scents Field Staff

4. Likes Arrow Splitter liked this post
    Post Thanks / Like

Your draw stop makes the smaller adjustments. If 27" is too long, just move you draw stop. As weldor said, it will decrease your let-off, but this shouldn't be an issue.

By the way, welcome to the "Bright Side".

A.S
    2011 Martin Firecat 400/NAP Apache Dropaway/Truglo Xtreme Sight/Custom 8" Stabilizer/Victory V6 Arrows
    2007 Martin Jaguar /Trophy Taker Dropaway/Extreme Sight/Custom 21" Stabilizer/Victory V6 Arrows
    Bow String Depot, Custom String Builders email us @ bowstringdepot@gmail.com

Post Thanks / Like

lol "Dark side"... yes, welcome, dlusted; good, helpful folks here (the least helpful would probably be me! lol). You have the opposite problem from mine; seems impossible to find a bow, none of Martin's that I know of, that specs for a 32" draw length. I'm sure you've already done so, but if not, I'd encourage you to use one of several methods to determine your 'starting' draw length; the 'wing span' method being the most accurate, imho. Then adjust from there if needed to what is most comfortable with good form. BTW, having heard on here and other places that Martin's tend to run a little LONG in DL, is why I got a Martin Cougar, which specs to a 31 inch draw. I do have the advantage in that it's a whole lot easier to shoot a bow that's too short in DL then it is to shoot one that's too long, and a whole lot easier on the forearm!!... welcome and best to you... o

PS, one method of determining DL, if I recall correctly, was to take your wing span, minus 15 inches then divided by 2, which would give me a 32.5 inch DL. The 'real' wing span method is finger tip to finger tip span divided by 2.5... most accurate starting point I believe.
    Anything I may post is in no way meant to besmirch anyone or any entity in any way, so please don't take it, wrongly, as such. Thank You.

Post Thanks / Like

Quote Originally Posted by dlusted View Post
    ..... so took the plunge with this bow as it was a bargain price.....
    so how much did you have to give for it?

Post Thanks / Like

It seems the question has been answered so...

Congrats on the "new" bow...I love my silencer.......
    2010 Alien Z (Hybrix 2), 29", 65lb
    2011 Firecat 400(Nitro 2), 29", 62lb
    2012 Silencer(Nitro 2), 29", 60lb
    Old PSE Infinity(dual cam), 30", 70lb, LH

"If you don't respect yourself, I can't respect you"

Post Thanks / Like

Thanks for all the replies guys

All sorted now! What I did was I slightly adjusted draw stop and changed my release from wrist to hand held and it seems to be just fine now at 27".

I say dark side, as that is what many people say in my club... With all the Recurve crowd putting their noses up lol!!

I bought the bow, hard case, 6 arrows, decut sight, scope and wrist release for 290.... The bow alone in the UK costs 350 new, and the guy I bought it off only used it once but then was involved in a car accident; hence the bargain I got.

Post Thanks / Like

dark side or the right side...lol
    anyways welcome!
    2007 MARTIN PANTERA

Post Thanks / Like

Quote Originally Posted by dlusted View Post
    Thanks for all the replies guys

All sorted now! What I did was I slightly adjusted draw stop and changed my release from wrist to hand held and it seems to be just fine now at 27".

I say dark side, as that is what many people say in my club... With all the Recurve crowd putting their noses up lol!!

I bought the bow, hard case, 6 arrows, decut sight, scope and wrist release for 290.... The bow alone in the UK costs 350 new, and the guy I bought it off only used it once but then was involved in a car accident; hence the bargain I got.
    I assume you are somewhere here in England as you give the UK cost.
    I know what you mean about the trad folks looking down their noses at compound shooters, I am known as 'The Dark Lord' in my club LoL
    Glad you got it sorted and congrats on a good deal.

Kev
    2009 AlienX
    2009 AlienX (not a misprint, I have two)
    2010 AlienX
    I have other bows as well