Thread: Illinois ASA State Championship

Post Thanks / Like

Default Illinois ASA State Championship

Day one. I sucked. I couldn't judge to save my life. 30 targets, 12, 10, 8, 5 scoring and I shot a 269. Miserable I am. I was good left and right, only "flinging" 3 shots wide. Otherwise, I was high or low. And I got two 12s out of 30 targets. Then, due to one of us messing up I declined one of my 12s so all our score cards matched. Here, every shooter in the group has 2 cards and exchanges with others in the group so each has the others score card in addition to their own.

Of 30 we had 3 under 30 yards. Our average distance figured almost 37 yards and it didn't any difference the size of target. I shot a Elk for 12 points and it was 37 yards. I shot a 10 on a tiny javalina at 38 yards... Our group "chewed" on the excessive distance, like we were shooting some ASA ProAm instead of a State event....The State Director stopped by and I gave him the same thing as such; "DK, this is a state event. You have more State Shooters that compete at State events than you do State Shooters that shoot the ASA ProAms. This shouldn't be a practice session for those that want to compete at the higher level ProAms."

I'm kind of interested in how many turn in their score cards. I watched one tear up his score cards.... While we were finishing up a few others came in and totaled up their scores. One Senior Open shooter had a 271. Others had 294 and 292. When you have a possible 360 points and no one breaks 300????? Now all the scores I saw were shot with unknown yardage, but then as we about to leave here comes one Known 40 yard class shooter with a 261....
    Hey, it was a tough shoot. Clean, but tough...

Shotgun Start; 9:30 am. We finished around 1:00 pm. 3 1/2 hours to shoot 30 targets. Me, I left home at 4:45 am and got back home exactly 12 hours later, 4:45 pm.

Picture taking isn't allowed the first day.
    Former and current Back Yard Champion. I beat myself

Post Thanks / Like

Just received the scores. I got 3rd place. I R in rut.... This is the 3rd time I've took 3rd place..... 2011, 3rd. 2012, 3rd. 2013, didn't compete. And then this year, 3rd again....

Post Thanks / Like

I'm not the only one to question the distances for the Championship. Saw one make a simple point of view of how scores were so low. Came back and his Post had been removed. So another gave of the long distances and his Post was gone...

Post Thanks / Like

Sonny, the max score would have been 360, but the even score would have been 300. Just a point of clarification.

The thing I was concerned about was in Indiana they had known distance shooters shooting in the same group as unknown. Totally not a good idea. And I had an known shooter in my group.

Post Thanks / Like

Carlos, believe it or not, high score for unknown yardage was 302 in Super Senior. Mumbling came before the State Championship. Two Qualifiers had unknown winners with scores in the 270s and 280s. ??? I had a mistake in my initial post. I figured something like 35 yards average one of the shooters in my group said 37 yard average.

Yeah, not good to have Known and unknown in the same group. Still, we've had known and unknown shoot together and it well seems honesty prevailed.... Where I and some others got a bit ticked was one Open C shooter getting stuck with 3 kids. He was a bit perturbed. And I can say the same for me. I got ticked when saddled with 2 Traditional shooters. Me, 40 max and them 25 max. And then because the horrendous rain I shot lead all they way through so to ease the issues walking back and forth. Shooting lead for all 30 targets, only Super Senior to shoot Sunday in the rain, I thought finishing 3rd was pretty good.