Page 2 of 2 FirstFirst 12

Thread: Judging Yardage

Post Thanks / Like

Quote Originally Posted by Sonny Thomas View Post
    Shoot with me, Barry, I usually tell the yardage within half a yard to those in my group......They never believe me

Having a sight frame where I can dial in to the yard, I have my sight set so I'm 1/2" to 1" high. Most all 3D targets you can shoot high and still get a high 10 or 8. Miss low and that 5 line is a real possibility.
    I hear ya, and most people are more likely to drop their bow arm than push the shot high.
    If You're Not Living on the Edge You're Taking Up Too Much Space
    Martin Gold Plus Staff Shooter
    Alien Mafia
    PSAA Life member, UBP Life member
    PADI AOW Diver

Post Thanks / Like

Quote Originally Posted by bfisher View Post
    Some of us are blessed with the ability to judge closely, at least out to a certain point. Mine happens to be about 35 yards. Being a senior I'm not required to shoot farther at most local shoots. Sometimes 40 but mostly 35. I can usually be within 2 yards out to 35, which should put me in the ten ring somewhere, if I execute the shot well and aim where I' should. Isn't always the case with a good case of target panic.

That being said I can stand behind the stake a couple yards and still get it right. Step up to the stake and learn to trust your first judgement. I find that when I miss I'm usually low. That being said I usually add about 2 yards to my original guess.
    I wish I only had to shoot those yardages.
    From 0-35 yards the tip of my arrow is touching the bottom line of the target to hit the 10 ring...
    I think I am going to get a life membership to the IBO so I can shoot the last shoot of the year and try and win it.
    I hear if I get the life membership I will not have to shoot any qualifiers.
    30 yards max for my class....yeah boy !!!!
    Don.
    Last edited by Don B; 08-22-2014 at 03:06 PM.
    I am sponsered by Louie Rangle-- Gator Feathers by Gator vanes...www.gatorvanes.com Deer Crossing Target shafts. Specialty Archery Timberdoodle ll rest. Bow String Depot Cables and String.
    I Shoot a 2012-SepterV and a 2011-Shadowcat
    I shoot Bowhunter, not barebow--fingers non-sights.
    Enter-ZESTY at checkout at Deer Crossing Archery- http://deercrossingarchery.com/
    For a 10% discount on all products, other than ECO Hunter shafts.

Post Thanks / Like

Don,
    You could also head north to Newman, Ca. next April.
    The Orestimba Field Archers will be hosting both the West Coast Traditional Championship & the Central California IBO Open.
    You could shoot either or both events.

DK