Thread: Buying first arrows for target shooting, and need help....

Post Thanks / Like

Question Buying first arrows for target shooting, and need help....

Had my bow nearly 2 months now, and am loving it.....
    The problem is the arrows I got with the Bow (2nd Hand) are too long for my draw length, and are probably a bit stiff too.

I currently use Easton XX75 Platinum's and am wanting to get some Easton ACCs.
    As being in the UK, there ain't many Archery stores; so have to rely on Mail Order from shops 100+ miles away and I'm still waiting on them to email me back. And, obviously all I'll be doing is Targets and Field shooting.

I have the Silencer currently set at around 50# (45-60# range), and am slow increasing the poundage the more I use it and get a bit stronger to draw comfortably.
    Now, here comes the confusing bit as I am a complete novice.....

I've been looking at Martin Archery Easton Arrows page, and my arrow length I need is around 27".
    Am I right in thinking my peak weight is 60#? So meaning (with hard cams) I need 3-18?

Now, my next question is about grains..... Do I need to have the arrow at a certain grain weight? And if that's the case, I need a specific weight point to ensure I'm over this certain "safe" grain weight?

Thanks for any help provided

Post Thanks / Like

I dislike those arrow charts.....

Read all before building arrow.

Building up in draw weight, I would consider arrows of 400 spine. Bow draw length set to you, have some one mark the arrow after you come to full draw. CAREFUL. At full draw, mark the arrow at least one inch forward of the point of contact of arrow rest and arrow. Before you make the cut consider spine for arrow length. If arrow measures out to be cut to 27" and 28" gives the better spine, then cut to 28".

The 5 grs of arrow weight to every pound of draw weight is Factory IBO Specs. 5 grains times 50 pounds equals 250 gr arrow. Again, minimum. Anything under 5 grs per pound of draw weight is voiding the warranty...

Insert, point weight, vanes, wraps, type of nock all should be considered in building the arrow and cutting the arrow. Usually this is a piece of cake...if you know what you're doing, just common sense.... Probably 95% of the time a properly cut to length arrow will build good with factory nock, 2 to 4" vanes or feathers, standard point insert and 100 gr field point. This will give something of 10% FOC which is good.

Best I could do considering I'm still waking up....
    Former and current Back Yard Champion. I beat myself

Post Thanks / Like

If you are waiting for a reply from Bowsports, you might be waiting awhile.
    Their customer service blows!
    I would suggest using Merlin Archery as a better alternative, maybe try calling them and asking their advice.
    ACC arrows are a special order item but you fill in the online order sheet to the specs you want.

Kev
    2009 AlienX
    2009 AlienX (not a misprint, I have two)
    2010 AlienX
    I have other bows as well

4. Thanks dlusted thanked for this post
    Post Thanks / Like

I would suggest using EnglishKev as your right hand man as he is in your part of the neighborhood so can relate. As for which ACC to use for target/field? I would probably suggest the 3/28 myself and go with the 80gr glue-in points. At 60# you might be pushing the spine issue a bit but they should work fine at 55#. I wouldn't want to shoot 60# for target anyway. Unlike deer a paper target isn't likely to jump the string, LOL, so speed shouldn't be as much of an issue as stamina.

I shoot a shorter draw length, but have shot them at 27" draw, 27" arrow (3-28), with 80gr tips and 2" 3D Duravanes up to 63#. Don't worry about the weight minimum for warranty or IBO specs. Set up as you probably will be they'll be well above minimum. Most likely about 330 gr which is still good at 60#. I just wouldn't shoot 60# for target work.

SO, this is just an opinion based from some of my past experiences, but for what it's worth the old school ACC shaft continues to be one of the finest in it's price range both in accuracy and durability.
    If You're Not Living on the Edge You're Taking Up Too Much Space
    Martin Gold Plus Staff Shooter
    Alien Mafia
    PSAA Life member, UBP Life member
    PADI AOW Diver

6. Thanks dlusted thanked for this post
    Post Thanks / Like

Thanks guys for both the tips on the arrows and not to take the bow to the max.
    I was thinking to get to 60# to ensure the flattest trajectory possible, thinking it means less having to play with the elevation on the sights. But, I'll just keep it around the 50-55# mark then.

And thanks for the advice EnglishKev, I am actually waiting on both Bowsports and Aim Archery to get back to me; but have also contacted Merlin Archery and they have pretty much said what you guys have said here

Post Thanks / Like

Quote Originally Posted by dlusted View Post
    And thanks for the advice EnglishKev, I am actually waiting on both Bowsports and Aim Archery to get back to me; but have also contacted Merlin Archery and they have pretty much said what you guys have said here
    Sounds like Kev is right, Merlin has already contacted you and you're waiting to hear back from the other two... Sounds like Merlin wants the business..
    http://eastoutfitter.tripod.com/index.html
    http://www.cascadianbowmen.org/
    Martin 06 Slayer, Nitrous C, shoot thru, 63lb, Quiktune 3000, HAA OL 5519, Beman ICS Hunter
    Martin 06 Slayer, Nitrous C, Shoot thru, 55lb, Quiktune 3000, HHA OL 5519 2X, Easton A/C/C
    Ben Pearson 1968 'Cougar' 62" 45#s @ 28" recurve, parallel shaft POC, Zwickey 'Eskimo' 2 blade

Post Thanks / Like

Quote Originally Posted by dlusted View Post
    Thanks guys for both the tips on the arrows and not to take the bow to the max.
    I was thinking to get to 60# to ensure the flattest trajectory possible, thinking it means less having to play with the elevation on the sights. But, I'll just keep it around the 50-55# mark then.

Quote Originally Posted by elkslayer4x5 View Post
    Sounds like Kev is right, Merlin has already contacted you and you're waiting to hear back from the other two... Sounds like Merlin wants the business..
    Like I said, if you want info from BS, you will be waiting a while, and if you do get a problem they ain't that helpful.
    I only get stuff from them if no one else stocks it, and only if I can order online knowing what I want so I don't have to talk to them.
    Never dealt with Aim Archery.
    Merlin I have always had good service from, and they are helpful when you talk to them.
    Hope you get sorted soon.

Kev
    2009 AlienX
    2009 AlienX (not a misprint, I have two)
    2010 AlienX
    I have other bows as well