Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast

Thread: at wits end

Post Thanks / Like

Default at wits end

Hey all, new member here,,, HI! Got a perplexing problem and my brain is fried. I've been shooting bows for 51 years now, and have never experienced a problem like this. I just received a new 2012 Silencer with Nitro cams for my birthday. 25-30 inch draw, with d.l. set in 27.5 hole. 55 - 70 lbs, set on 61 pounds. I am shooting Easton aftermath arrows,,,400,,,27.5 inches long with blazer vanes and 100 grain points. QAD rest completes the launching equipment. My problem is nock high tear. No matter what i do the nock still tears high. The cams seem to be in time. I have raised and lowered the d loop and the tear stays the same. I tried adjusting the draw weight, and different weight points but no help. My gut tells me its in the cams but they appear right on. I have shot martins now since 83 and this is the first problem i have ever experienced with them. Any suggestions wouild surely be appreciated..thanks

Post Thanks / Like

I can't be 100% sure,

but I believe my top cam is just a hair ahead(timing-wise) of the bottom.....or the other way around.....I can't remember...but I believe they are not perfectly synced

sorry
    Hope this helps
    2010 Alien Z (Hybrix 2), 29", 65lb
    2011 Firecat 400(Nitro 2), 29", 62lb
    2012 Silencer(Nitro 2), 29", 60lb
    Old PSE Infinity(dual cam), 30", 70lb, LH

"If you don't respect yourself, I can't respect you"

Post Thanks / Like

Move your nock point down or your rest up. If that doesn't help, twist the cables so it looks like the cams are "wrapping up" if the nitro cams are like the Cat Cams, it will help with speed and timing

Post Thanks / Like

witch qad rest do you have the older ones would bonce up and cause fletching interfence, if all else falls switch your limbs put the top on the bottom
    MARTIN BENGAL
    THE NEED FOR SPEED
    WALMART PRO STAFF SHOOTER

Post Thanks / Like

It sounds like the problem is definitely in your rest, either up too long, not long enough, or bouncing back and hitting. Do not advance your cam timing on those cams. I have had several models and worked on hundreds with the nitro 2.0 cams. set your timing perfect even top and bottom and set your nock height dead level thru the berger. Make sure your qad rest is level and properly installed, also if its not the hdx model throw it out, junk. I get bareshafts and fletched almost robin hooding at 20yrds, setting even timing and level nock, hope this helps. One more thing, get rid of the stock cable slide, not much vane clearance, I replaced all mine with saunders hyperglide.

String builder/ Super Moderator Hutch~n~Son Archery's Avatar
    Post Thanks / Like

Quote Originally Posted by TEN RING View Post
    witch qad rest do you have the older ones would bonce up and cause fletching interfence, if all else falls switch your limbs put the top on the bottom
    Welcome aboard oldman!
    TEN RING is right on! I have had that problem and had white vanes so the marks showed up the the vanes. Which was fortunately for me and no matter where I put the d loop it shot the same tear. You might want to us some spray foot powder on the rest and see about vane clearance

Hutch
    Bow String Depot Custom String Builders
    Need a string set pm or email me @ bowstringdepot@gmail.com
    or check us out @ http://bowstringdepot.com

Post Thanks / Like

Yep! Concur rest bounce. Had the same thing with a QAD and older Trophy Taker Pronghorn.
    Ranger 6
    2011 Fire Cat 400 (Custom)
    2005 Martin SlayR
    2012 Mathews z7 Magnum
    2014 Mathews Creed
    2001 PSE Excellerator

Post Thanks / Like

I'd also think the problem is one of rest clearance. You could spray the vanes with foot powder or use some lipstick on the vanes to find out. Doesn't sound like there's an issue with arrow spine, but you could try a stiffer shaft (340) and see. If all else fails then change the rest. Maybe even an old prong rest, star hunter or something like that just for comparison. As long as you've been shooting you have to have a drawer full of old rests.
    Last edited by bfisher; 08-08-2014 at 03:25 PM.
    If You're Not Living on the Edge You're Taking Up Too Much Space
    Martin Gold Plus Staff Shooter
    Alien Mafia
    PSAA Life member, UBP Life member
    PADI AOW Diver

Post Thanks / Like

The new qad's have a brake on them,
    MARTIN BENGAL
    THE NEED FOR SPEED
    WALMART PRO STAFF SHOOTER

Post Thanks / Like

Hey guys, thanks for all the help. Yes, it is an older rest. Its a Ultra Rest Hunter, circa 2009. It was my wifes', she updated, and I got the hand-me-down. No complaints tho. Guess its time to update also and see what happens. Any suggestions for a new rest? One thing I will say about the Silencer, even with the high tear, I am still able to keep a 2.5 to 3 inch group at 20 yds. Cant wait to see what happens when I can get everything in tune. Again, thanks for all the help