Thread: Beginner Archers checkig in!

Post Thanks / Like

Default Beginner Archers checkig in!

Thought it would be a good time for an introduction,

I recently got into making Traditional Long Bows. West Coast Native American style using Pacific Yew. I was told its been a family tradition for many generations. Unfortunately every bow I've made has broke. Still lots to learn. Pacific Yew isn't all that easy to come by either as it is protected. Since my family is Native American my Dad does have rights to get it. I live too far away to access any myself. I have blown through all my staves my Dad gave me. Just waiting on more to give it another go.

Making these bows have sparked a real interest in Traditional bows. I was going to buy a Long Bow just so I can shoot while I made, but decided to try a recurve by Martin instead. Picked up a Brand new Martin Saber at 55# for me and a Martin Jaguar at 35# for my wife. The cost of both were just too hard to say no too. The saber ran me 170 shipped and the jaguar 150 shipped. The 55# limbs are a bit much for a first time archer, so I bought a set of Martin Limbs that are 45#. Quite a difference! Although I could probably go even lower the 45# feels real nice.

Considering that I am completely new at this I am a bit unsure what I should get for a rest and site. My wife took it upon herself and got me NAP 360 Capture rest and Trophy Ridge Punisher 5 for my birthday just a few days ago. I am not entirely sure these are meant for recurves? Although both the Saber and the Jaguar do have mounting spots for both.

I am currently waiting on some target arrows before I can say much about the Martin's. Overall the quality is fantastic.

Anyhow, I hope to learn as much as possible from this forum. I have been a member for some time. Just haven't made any posts.

Cheers

Nemi

Post Thanks / Like

You can use www.lancasterarchery.com as a guide. They have quite a selection of rests for both compound and recurve bows. I' have a 2013 Diablo TD and the rest I am using is an AAE Freeflyte. It's fairly simple as all you need do is use a properly spined arrow and dial the rest left or right for centershot to achieve good arrow flight. On Lancaster's site this is now a Cartel Freeflyte. The Cartel Star Hunter is another rest that will work well with fingers. I feel these are you two best options.

You could also use any of the flipper style rests and a plunger. The only thing to be careful of I to make sure the flipper arm is long enough to extend away from the sight window. The Cartel CR 201 would work with a plunger. You can get very good arrow flight using a plunger if you know how to tune one.

I'm not a big fan of any kind of capture rest such as you now have. To shoot these with any kind of consistent accuracy you need to have a good follow through, meaning you have to aim and keep aiming till the arrow completely leaves the bow. This is rarely going to happen shooting traditional equipment. It's totally a different concept than shooting a compound bow.

As for which sight? Good question. I shoot mine instinctively, meaning no sight. Practice enough and you can get pretty good at it. I've tried a sight on mine and shoot just as well without it, maybe better, but I do limit all my shooting to 25 yards. I'm not too bad at 30 yards and 40 yards is a waste of time, but I've gotten pretty deadly at 20 yards.
    That being said it took a lot of shooting; nearly 1000 shots a week for several months, but with 30# and 35# limbs it was pure pleasure learning to shoot fingers/recurve after a 38 year hiatus.
    If You're Not Living on the Edge You're Taking Up Too Much Space
    Martin Gold Plus Staff Shooter
    Alien Mafia
    PSAA Life member, UBP Life member
    PADI AOW Diver

Post Thanks / Like

bfisher,

Thank you very much for the feedback. All very useful info. Fortunately the Site and Rest didn't cost all that much so I wont consider them a waste. For now I think I'll go without site and use the rest that came with the bow.

I am eagerly waiting some arrows so I can get some time behind both bows.

thanks again

Cheers

Nemi

Post Thanks / Like

Welcome. I just bought my Diablo td about 1 yr and 3 months ago. Read some of my posts on here. I am using a flipper rest, no sight and shooting traditional. I don't shoot any better with a site on my bow. My eyesight is not that good and I shake a little. I am 67. I shoot about 50 arrows every day. Others on a shoot that I go to are impressed at my improvement. Instinctive, no sights, the way Native Americans shoot. I posted on here about an Apache that is on a fishing sight AZbasszone. He makes his own bow and arrows and shoots dear with them. Its a lot of fun and quiet a challenge.