Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast

Thread: Deer season is almost here!

String builder/ Super Moderator Hutch~n~Son Archery's Avatar
    Post Thanks / Like

Default Deer season is almost here!

Is it Deer time yet? I'm hungry!

Got the blind out got the ladder stand out and got the trail cam out. Now all I want is me out!

Sept 15th is almost here for us New Hampshire people!

Hutch
    Bow String Depot Custom String Builders
    Need a string set pm or email me @ bowstringdepot@gmail.com
    or check us out @ http://bowstringdepot.com

Post Thanks / Like

October 1st for us in Illinois. Probably should look for my hunting bow and wipe the dust off it.
    Former and current Back Yard Champion. I beat myself

3. Likes Arrow Splitter liked this post
    Post Thanks / Like

Still have a month to go got to check my cam see what on menu.........

5. Likes Arrow Splitter liked this post
    Super Moderator FishingandHuntingUSA's Avatar
    Post Thanks / Like

10 ways to get ready

1. Practice. Practice. Practice. You should really be practicing year round if you are are serious. Don’t wait until the week before the season to start shooting. Muscle memory plays a big part in making the big shot when you have to make it. I practice like I am going to be shooting in the field. If you are going to be seated in a tree stand when you hunt, then practice from that same position. You should even set up a practice stand so that you can practice from a height similar to what you will be hunting from. If you wear a certain face mask or hat when you hunt, practice with that one on as well. You don’t want any surprises when you get out in the field.

2. Have your bow checked and tuned. If you haven’t had your bow checked or tuned in the last six months, make sure to do that. If you didn’t get that new bow for this season then at least get a new string. Have someone check out your bow who knows what they are doing. Make sure it is as quiet as possible.

3. Exercise. It always helps to be in shape for bow season. Cardio training helps keep your heart rate down when that monster buck shows up unexpected and you get a big surge of adrenaline. If you have an elk trip planned, working out for a couple months before your trip will make your hunt is much more enjoyable. Weight training should also be a part of your preparation.

4. Check Your Feeders. If you are hunting somewhere that allows feeders, then get your feeders going. Charge the batteries. Check your timers.

5. se what you learned last season. Move your stands and blinds accordingly. Don’t wait until the day before the season to do this. Get out there now and move what needs to be moved. Let the deer have time to get used to whatever changes you need to make. Place stands so that you have options for different winds. Also, place stands where you have an easy way in and out without disturbing deer in their bedding areas. The less you disturb on the way in the better.

6. Get your cameras going. Bucks move with their bachelor groups this time of year and will stay pretty close to their current pattern (even big, mature bucks) through the first few weeks of the season. If you can find them now, there is a good chance they won’t be too far when the season opens.

7. Shoot your broadheads as well as field points. Some broadheads will fly just like your field points and some aren’t even close. Make sure you are sighted in for broadheads when the season starts.

8. Wash your hunting clothes. There are plenty of good products that help cover your scent. The more you do to cover your scent, the better. Cedar oil is one of the better cover scents, as long as you have cedar, juniper, or mountain cedar where you are hunting. Bag your clothes up after you wash them so that they remain scent-free until you go to put them on in the field.

9. Get your hunting backpack organized. Make sure you have some scent cover, zip ties (for attaching tags), a pen (to write on your tag), plenty of sharp knives, latex, or deer cleaning gloves, etc. Clean your binoculars.

10. Review game laws of where you are hunting. There is NO excuse for not knowing them. Know what the antler restrictions are (if there are any).

Post Thanks / Like

13 days and counting so jacked
    2013 Martin Onza Xt
    2012 Martin Cougar Fc
    2011 Martin Ridge Hunter turned Silencer
    2006 Martin Cougar 4se
    Fred Bear Grizzly @ 45lbs and Shakespear wonderbow @ 50lbs
    Love bows and everything bout bow hunting!!!

Post Thanks / Like

34 days here
    2010 Alien Z (Hybrix 2), 29", 65lb
    2011 Firecat 400(Nitro 2), 29", 62lb
    2012 Silencer(Nitro 2), 29", 60lb
    Old PSE Infinity(dual cam), 30", 70lb, LH

"If you don't respect yourself, I can't respect you"

Post Thanks / Like

Season started here Aug.12th, runs till Dec. 31st.
    Don.
    I am sponsered by Louie Rangle-- Gator Feathers by Gator vanes...www.gatorvanes.com Deer Crossing Target shafts. Specialty Archery Timberdoodle ll rest. Bow String Depot Cables and String.
    I Shoot a 2012-SepterV and a 2011-Shadowcat
    I shoot Bowhunter, not barebow--fingers non-sights.
    Enter-ZESTY at checkout at Deer Crossing Archery- http://deercrossingarchery.com/
    For a 10% discount on all products, other than ECO Hunter shafts.

10. Likes Arrow Splitter liked this post
    Post Thanks / Like

October 4th for me here in Jersey! Boooohhhhh!! I am so ready I spent all day Saturday putting in a throw and grow plot across the street from my house. About a 1/4 acre. If only it was that easy!!

image.jpg

image.jpg

image.jpg
    2013 Martin Onza XT
    NAP Apache Rest
    Trophy Ridge 3pin Cypher Sight
    NAP Apache Stabilizer
    Kwikee Kwik 3 Kwiver
    Truball stinger release
    CX Heart Attack 350
    100g Rocket Hammerheads

Bow String Depot

60% of the time it works every time!

WWW.shorewindshuntingfarm.com

Post Thanks / Like

September 1st here in Washington. I've been out scouting locally, went to were I saw bruiser of a buck last year after the season, and dropped a 30# feed block from Primos... yeah the bears had it completely gone in a week. So I went back out and found some good sign including rubs, picked out a couple trees and left a couple small salt licks off the game trails going by the trees... Now I just wait. That's the hard part... the season may start the first but I can't get out to hunt until the 6th; the next week and 5 days are gonna CRAWL by! LOL
    In God and guns we trust;
    • One nation, under God, indivisible, with liberty and justice for all.
    • A well regulated Militia, being necessary to the security of a free State, the right of the people to keep and bear Arms, shall not be infringed.

2011 Onza 3: 70#, 28.25 draw (AMO), 384 gr arrow, 288 fps
    2005 Saber: 70#, same arrow, 250 fps

Post Thanks / Like

We need a list of the plain jane that will get the job done. Camo is more inexpensive than it was, but still outrageous in price, considering most is made in 3rd world sweat shops. Camo hat, $12.00 made overseas. Camo hat, $8.00 at the Caterpillar Store on Adams Street, Peoria, Illinois and made in the great state of Washington. Past clothing, there is the multitudes of washing and descenting products to catch the unaware.

Clothing; Worked 50 years ago and works today, dull clothing. Dull, checked flannel shirts and jackets use to tromp the woods and timber. Some of us wore black and brown face paint for both face and hands. I was wearing a old black ball hat, wore out army jacket and faded blue jeans when I took my first deer. So close was he that there was hair all around my arrow.

Washing products; For bathing, Ivory soap is hard to beat. For clothing you can't be Arm & Hammer baking soda, just wash and let air dry. I store mine in a thick plastic bag after a shot spray pump of some cover spray, acorn or earth scent.

Yes, I have camo clothing, most bought by my wife for me. She is a treasure. My main object to cover, my hands and my face. Those el-cheap-o camo cotton gloves do the job. The only thing I do is cut off the index finger so I can feel the trigger of my index release. Face, found this place that had the pulling over camo screen netting on sale. Bought 3, still using the first. Want to use camo clothing, mix them, Mossy Oak with Real Tree. That near bright hardwood crap is good for something, I just don't know what for.

Lures; 12 to 14" off the ground the scent is picked up by the near constant ground air. Where do deer have their nose? Mostly to the ground. The only time I see them with their nose up in the air to catch the scent of what might be danger. More than a few bucks have come by me looking more like a Beagle on a hot bunny trail....

Stands; They don't have to be on top of the Empire State building. My tall tree stand seat is not 7 feet off the ground. I just have good cover and I use the thickest tree I can find near game trails or crossing points. A two wide Oak goes a long way of breaking up your outline.

Bow; My bow is where I can grab it and not reach out to break my outline or make unnecessary movement. Mostly, it's right in my hand. Most of my bow hunting has come after I turned 50 years of age. It amazes me that today healthy "kids" are wimps. My primary hunting bow weighs more than hunting bows today and has a ata of near 38". I don't have trouble packing it near all day and not one problem in the tree stand or stalking. I do my home work to the tune of something of 38 deer in the last 14 years most all of them on our 31 acre farm/home site.
    Former and current Back Yard Champion. I beat myself

14. Likes wscywabbit, otisT liked this post