Thread: FOC Preference for Indoor Target and 3D

Post Thanks / Like

Default FOC Preference for Indoor Target and 3D

I have been shooting my new Nemesis (thanks Barry) for several weeks now and have used a bunch of different arrows from one of my friends. They all have different FOCs and I was just curious what FOCs others use for indoor 20 yard targets and FAA 3D. I shoot 26" at 40# with the Nemesis and would prefer fat shafts. The range of FOCs I have uses range anywhere from 7.4 to 13.51 but seem to get best results with XX78 2315/3' feathers. But I have also got good groups with at 20 yds with x7 2315/4" feathers.

Any information on what you short DL and lighter DW shooter use would be appreciated.

Del
    2012 Martin Pantera, 2014 Nemesis, 2010 Contender, Hogg Father Single Pin, Hogg It 5 Pin, Sure Loc

Post Thanks / Like

Hi Del,

Glad you're enjoying the bow. For arrows for indoor and 3D I might make a suggestion. The largest diameter I've used with anything close to proper spine (still stiff) is the Beman Diva with 80 gr target tip and 3" feathers. These are a '23 diameter carbon and I think 7.4 gpi. They have the same specs as the Easton Fat Boy 500, but cost about $40 less per dozen; go figure this as Easton makes them both. Think I paid $45 per half dozen at Lancaster. That's probably about the best you're going to do for a combo arrow, IMO. I left them at 28" to help with the spine a bit. The Diva also comes with factory installed super-uni bushings for the nocks.

Hope this helps.

Barry
    If You're Not Living on the Edge You're Taking Up Too Much Space
    Martin Gold Plus Staff Shooter
    Alien Mafia
    PSAA Life member, UBP Life member
    PADI AOW Diver

Post Thanks / Like

You didn't note arrow length of the 23/15s. So going with best usage.

Easton's chart for Groups is figured using 100 gr for point weight - total point weight that is. By your specs you would fall in the T3 group. 2315s fall the T11 Group, like 29" for length using something of 55/60 draw weight minimum. To spine you would need a minimum of 150 grs point weight and more might prove better.

FOC is a percentage. It is desired to have X% of Forward Of Center, but then proper spine is a factor.
    Common F.O.C.s for each style of archery.
    FITA 11-16%
    3-D Archery 6-12%
    Field Archery 10-15%
    Hunting 10-15%

Understand, your FOC is your FOC, not someone else's. Okay you have a FOC by your measurements and per the formula you use. It works, but better might be had, either less or more. So you use what you have as a reference point so to add or subtract weight
    Former and current Back Yard Champion. I beat myself

Post Thanks / Like

Thanks guys. Your information is invaluable and will do some experimenting with the XX78s that I have for now. Current length is 28 5/16 with 100 grain points and 3" feathers. FOC is 9.59 and will try some heavier points to see what I get. If it doesn't get decent shots, I will look into some different arrows.

I have been ignoring spine to some extent because of the desire for fat shafts but if I can't get it to work, I will look into replacing some arrows.

Again, many thanks.
    2012 Martin Pantera, 2014 Nemesis, 2010 Contender, Hogg Father Single Pin, Hogg It 5 Pin, Sure Loc

Post Thanks / Like

I deleted my first reply....I don't know what happened. I replied and it didn't show, so I made the reply now showing. When I returned just now there were both replies...Weird....

Spine, FOC, accuracy and forgiveness can be found if you "play" with your arrow build enough. I think it was another Archery site where I tested my Harvest Time Archery arrows, HT3 .400 spine. I had the length, spine, speed and accuracy with 80 gr glue-in points, but just had to find out what heavier point weight could do. I went from the 80 gr points to a 47 gr insert and 85,100,125 and 145 gr points. So the first jump in point weight was 52 grs. This is a bunch and a loss of 17 fps, but it also proved the most forgiving. Now, all arrows proved accurate from 20 yards, X killing accurate, but that I wanted speed for 3D I stayed with the 80 gr glue-in. If for Indoor target I would have chosen the 47 gr insert and 85 gr field point.
    Last edited by Sonny Thomas; 09-08-2014 at 09:31 AM. Reason: spelling correction

Post Thanks / Like

Although Sonny is giving you numbers by the charts he also knows and you, too, that many indoor shooters and many 3D shooters ignore spine to be able to use fat shafts. This is almost the norm for release shooters and short distances. You've apparently been shooting those heavy Lincoln logs indoors so know what I'm saying. If that's all you plan on doing then I'd stay with them for now. You did, however, ask about 3D and that's why I brought up the Beman Diva.

We shoot the same specs or close and I can tell you that with the 2011 and 2012 Nemisis I chased me tail for 3 years trying to get them to shoot a bare shaft. I can't say how many times I just gave up and shot the bows. Different length and spine arrows, point weights, jacking the weight up and down, playing with centershot. One day last winter I went what I figured was way off the charts and it fell together, finally. The bow was set at 26 3/4", 47#. Rest on dead center. Guess what I got to bare shaft well? A Gold Tip UL600 27" long with three 2" feathers and 115 gr point up front. And I got them to shoot all the way up to 53#. Way off the charts according to some people, but I listen to my equipment, not what's written on paper. Results are all that matters.
    If You're Not Living on the Edge You're Taking Up Too Much Space
    Martin Gold Plus Staff Shooter
    Alien Mafia
    PSAA Life member, UBP Life member
    PADI AOW Diver

Post Thanks / Like

Yes, they sort of by-pass spine, but those big logs seem to require point weight. I've seen 200, 220 and even 250 grs of point weight used. Indoors is a game of pure accuracy and like Barry noted, what works, works and regardless of arrow charts.