Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast

Thread: Draw weight question

Babooze

Default Draw weight question

I have my limb bolts on my 08 Moab 50lb-60lb cranked all the way down, I used a scale to draw it and it shows I am pulling 55lbs. I hooked up a dumbell to the scale and its accurate. Anyone have this problem and how did you fix it?

Post Thanks / Like

You need to check the brace height and A2A of the bow to see how close it is to specs. If the brace height is low and the A2A is long then it's possible to twist the rigging to put more preload on the limbs.

Depending on how close your draw length is determines what all you twist. If the draw is a hair short then you can twist up just the cable to bring the weight up some. This will also increase the draw length a bit.

If you just twist the string the weight will go down and draw length will decrease.

If the draw length is fine where it is then you need to twist both the string and cable. Because the string is approximately twice the length of the cable you need to add twice the amount of twists in the string. A good way to reference this is to draw a line on the side of the cam where it passes through the limb fork (both sides of the limb on the same side of the cam). Use this for cam rotation orientation to maintain the present draw length.

Hope this helps. Drop back and let us know how you make out.

Darrenhood

My 70 pound Bengal came with 5L limbs. Ordered my scale & heavier limbs at the same time, with the intention of making an 80 pounder out of it. With the 6L limbs, it just now pulls 70 pounds.

Might just be they build them a little on the light side & figure most folks won't notice or complain. Probably healthier to shoot lighter bows.

flytier17

"L" will bottom lower than peak. Therefore, you're initial bow probably bottommed at around 67-68. You're limbs (6H) will give you a peak of 75, probably bottoming at 72-73. Your scale could be off.

1 # in the deflection code will change peak by 5lbs. You're 5L limbs were designed for a peak of 70. Therefore, your 6L limbs will be designed for a peak of 75, not 80.

"L" designation will bottom 2-3 lbs. lower than peak.
    "M" designation will bottom within a pound of peak.
    "H" designation will bottom 2-3 lbs. above peak.

My Slayer has a limb deflection code of 4H. 2H will give me a 50lb bow, 7H will peak at 75, bottom at 77-78, etc...

Darrenhood

I'll have to print a copy of that. Mornin' Fly.

Darrenhood

See if I can get you banging your head on the brick wall this morning.

With my new 6L limbs, & the 29" module on & flexed about a 1/16th or 1/8th inch under rated A2A, it maxed at 73#.

I put the 30" module in place to see what changed, if anything. It now maxes at 70 even.

Pretty sure the new scale is accurate. It measures my old bows at the poundages they were known to be.

Darrenhood

Think my sinuses are full of that sand I buried my head in the other day.

I'm at 70 with 6L's, so 6M should put it at 75 & 6H's would go to 80?

flytier17

Higha Diana,

Got no idea on the mods. Got me stumped. Our brick wall is covered with snow, so I will find an icicle to suck.

70 even with 6L means you will be around 73 with a 6M, and 76 with a 6H. Makes no sense since the peaks come in #5 lb increments, maybe your string or cables are out of specs. Check em.

At the poundages you aspire to, everything is screwed up, including those that shoot them

Post Thanks / Like

Alec,

Forget about Darrenhood. I've been trying to talk some sense into that lad for so long I gave up. I personally think he should just get a pair of 10H limbs and be done with it. And we already went through the weight range he's get with 6H limbs. He should have gotten 7H so he could get his 80#.

Darren, if you're reading this, and I know you are, don't do it. I was just kidding. I don't even know if the riser would handle all the draw weight with 10H limbs.

Babooze

Ok I twisted, I measured everything and its all in spec..................I am still pulling 55 pounds! Am I being too anal here?