Thread: String dampeners

gtpriebe

Question String dampeners

I have a Scepter 4 & have purchased & installed a set of string dampeners (which were very effective),I have heard that they should be installed towards the ends of the bow string so as to minimise any negative effect on arrow speed; is there an optimum position to install string dampeners?

Post Thanks / Like

Quote Originally Posted by gtpriebe View Post
    I have a Scepter 4 & have purchased & installed a set of string dampeners (which were very effective),I have heard that they should be installed towards the ends of the bow string so as to minimise any negative effect on arrow speed; is there an optimum position to install string dampeners?
    As with any string dampener, the farther toward the center of the string the more effective they are at reducing string vibration. This is especially true with non-parallel limbed bows such as the Scepter.

That being said, if you have a chronograph you can play around with the position of them, using them somewhat like speed balls, and possibly gain some speed. Often times to do do this you have to shorten the end servings on the string so you can get them within an inch or so of the cams.

Here again, the closer to the cams, the less effective they are at reducing string oscillation. It's a trial and error thing.

flytier17

I also find that the closer to the center they are, the more handshock will occur. You will have more forward impetus. It can at times make a bow darn near unshootable. You need an STS to put them in the center.

I personally have 2 Bow-Jax (factory) by the servings, and 2 Sims Super String Leeches a bit farther down, maybe 4".

Post Thanks / Like

OK Alec, reading my post I'd see where you are going. I guess I should have said "a little farther away from the cam makes them more effective". And within reason I might add. I'm talking about maybe 5-6" from the cam. Not really in the center. It probably makes a difference what kind of silencers are used, too.

Have you ever tried "Puffs"? Little balls of yarn. They are superb as string silencers. I used them for years till I figured out they soak up water like a sponge when it rains. A little snap of the string gets the water out, but do they ever give you a shower in the process.