Thread: Moab Noise

jimbow

Default Moab Noise

I've been shooting my new Moab for about 3 weeks now. Great bow, pleasure to shoot. It just seems to me that it's making too much noise. I've checked every screw and accessory and everything is snug and tight. Is it possible my release might be responsible? It's about 10 years old, and it seems that it is getting a bit "sticky" on the trigger. I wondered if it could possibly be "twanging" the string upon release? It's an old TRU Loopmaster. Anyone ever had a problem with a release contributing to a noise problem. I just can't figure out what else it might be. Thanks for any thoughts.

Post Thanks / Like

Does it have string silencers in the string? Something else you can try is putting a Martin STS in the riser. This can help a bunch.

Something else that can contribute to noise is over rotation of the cam. Take a look at the groove in the cam where the string comes off. There should be about 3/8" to 1/2" of groove showing at this point. Maybe this is it.

I don't think it could be the release "plucking" the string, but then again, anything is possible. Try going to a shop and see. In the shop shoot the bow with your release and then try a couple new ones for comparison.

flytier17

Ditto that.

He beat me to it. Mind you, I learned that from him to start with...

jimbow

I do have string silencers installed that came with the bow, and it also has the STS. Installation of the STS did help substantially. I checked the groove on the cam and it seems to be about what you suggested....1/2 to 3/8 inch showing, no more. Maybe I'm expecting too much. It's not that it's terribly loud, I just don't remember the "twang" when I test shot the bow in the shop. Next time I'm able, I'll stop in and let the Pro Shop owner listen to it. Thanks for the replies.

jimbow

Thought that I would add that I don't yet have a stabilizer on the Moab. Not sure how much that might help too. I planned on using the Simms Mini S-coil from my old bow, but it seems the threads are different. I thought all these accessories were pretty standard sizes.

jimbow

Ok, I'm an idiot. I just tried the stabilizer again and it fits just fine. I guess I just wasn't lining up the threads quite right! Go easy on me. I'll let you know if it helps out with the noise at all. Geeeez.....

Post Thanks / Like

Quote Originally Posted by jimbow View Post
    Thought that I would add that I don't yet have a stabilizer on the Moab. Not sure how much that might help too. I planned on using the Simms Mini S-coil from my old bow, but it seems the threads are different. I thought all these accessories were pretty standard sizes.
    Try the Simms. The threads are the same. As you suspected, it is an industry standard, as is the rest of the threaded holes in the bow (sight, rest, etc). The threads might have some paint in them from the dipping process. If you have or have access to a 5/16X24 tap you could chase the threads. If not your shop should have one. A good shop has all these things.