Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast

Thread: The Three Piece Riser

Post Thanks / Like

Default The Three Piece Riser

As I understand it, The riser sections are pinned together with stainless steel pins. Has anyone took into consideration of galvanetic corrosion of the two dissimilar metals being in contact with each other ( the stainless pins and the aluminum riser ) and if so, what has Martin done to combat the corrosion? I'm in the market for a new bow and the Martin line is very appealing to me.

Post Thanks / Like

WOW, that one is far beyond my knowledge and I worked in a steel mill for 30 years. You must have an extensive knowledge base in the chemical reaction between dissimilar metals.

You probably are aware that not nly are the three pieces pinned, but also bolted. Then the riser is dipped. The process prettymuch eliminates any exposure to the elements. Does this count for anything?

Post Thanks / Like

I deal with HVAC on the indusrial side and we deal a lot with corrosion due to dissimilar metals. I was just curious, because the riser has to be under a lot of stress when you draw the string back. I did not know that the risers was also bolted together, the pins must be used for alignment purposes in which case the bolts would take most of the stress.

Darrenhood

One of the answers I've been given to questions like that is, "Try it and let me know." Nice?

cdfirefighter1

yes bare steel and bare alluminum do corode very badly when mated together.. but ther way the bows are put together I woulkd think that is not a problem as the parts are not exposed to the air...

for example have you ever tried to get a tight fitting aluminum wheel off of a steel hub after it has been there for awhile?? you will likely need a sledgehammer.. or on alot of trucks they run a steel inside wheel and an aluminum outside... you will break alot of the inner thimbles off getting them apart to replace tires and such due to the electrolisis from mateing the steel and aluminum like that... but like I said above the bow parts are not exposed to the air so I would not worry about it... im on my second martin with a 3 piece riser and not a problem...

Post Thanks / Like

You're on your second one and askng a question like that? Shame on you. I think you're trying to start trouble. LOL.

It was a good question though. Just shows we're not all a bunch of yahoo's like Darrenhood.

Darrenhood

Nothing to make a fella's jaw drop like public humiliation on the internet, jackass.

Even without exposure to dissimilar metals, just slicing open what used to be, or could have been, one piece of metal, you've created a point for contaminants to get in & stay till they've done their work.

But how many have pulled a machined aluminum limb pocket off an aluminum riser, that was held on by steel bolts, on a 10 year old bow, & found signs of corrosion? I haven't, so I hope we'll be OK.

Heck, most every accessory on the bow has steel bolts going into an aluminum hole, with two machined aluminum surfaces pressed against each other. No signs of corrosion yet. Schweeew!!! Had me worried for a minute.

No matter how bad Bfisher & Flytier insult me, I know they love me.
    Last edited by Darrenhood; 03-27-2008 at 03:33 PM.

Darrenhood

When I first got here, it was all facts & no B.S. Getting to be more fun here. Used to have to go to BC for entertaining abuse. Now we can get everything we need in one stop.

A higher quality of mud slinging, keeping it between Martin shooters.

Darrenhood

Quote Originally Posted by bfisher View Post
    ... and I worked in a steel mill for 30 years.
    Were you turning black sand into steel, hammering out swords in Scottland, pumping goat skin bellows and...

cdfirefighter1

Quote Originally Posted by bfisher View Post
    You're on your second one and askng a question like that? Shame on you. I think you're trying to start trouble. LOL.

It was a good question though. Just shows we're not all a bunch of yahoo's like Darrenhood.
    shame on me for asking what question?? im the one who said i was on my second one.. and i did not ask any questions...