Thread: String info needed

MoBowman

Default String info needed

I have a 2001 Martin Rage Elite, Fuzion cams, carbon recurve limbs. 55-70# 29" draw. I need new string and cable. Problem is the Martin website says 97" string and 40# cable. The bow is marked (with sharpie) 99" on the string and the cable size cannot be read. I measured the old string (about 99 1/2") and cable was abit over 41.

I am ready to order new string and cable, but now I'am not sure what the actual size I need is. Somebody out there have the correct information? Need any help I can get.

Post Thanks / Like

Hey.

I would take the lenght that is given by the martin tech info. Strings and cables often stretch a bit so that you cannot rely on the actual string length.

You could measure your A2A and BH and compare to the factory given numbers.
    (2) Hoyt PCEXL

Post Thanks / Like

MoBow,

I think this is one for the boys at customer service. I could be wrong, but the string specs you saw in the bow/cam charts is for an Rage with the asterick after it, which may have meant it had the 16" straight limbs, whereas yours is an XRG with 17' elite limbs That's why you have conflicting numbers on the limb tag.

There is no way any string can creep 2 1/2" from new. Your string should probably bas as marked, 99". That extra 1/2' would seem like a normal amount of creep. I won't even venture a guess on the cable length.

Barry

Post Thanks / Like

Quote Originally Posted by bfisher View Post
    MoBow,

I think this is one for the boys at customer service. I could be wrong, but the string specs you saw in the bow/cam charts is for an Rage with the asterick after it, which may have meant it had the 16" straight limbs, whereas yours is an XRG with 17' elite limbs That's why you have conflicting numbers on the limb tag.

There is no way any string can creep 2 1/2" from new. Your string should probably bas as marked, 99". That extra 1/2' would seem like a normal amount of creep. I won't even venture a guess on the cable length.

Barry
    Just a follow-up. Look at the extreme right side from XRG on the Bow Cam Chart. There is a misprint. The "shoot" string should read 99", not 59". And the cable length is 41".

MoBowman

bfisher, thanks for the response. I knew that the string just couldn't stretch 2+ inches. I have never seen anything like that before. What you pointed out makes very good sence. I had seen that eariler but the 59" was really throwing me. Made me think of the older "tear drop" style of string. I was looking at 99 and 41 but before ordering custom strings, one likes to make sure. Thanks again.

Post Thanks / Like

Oi...

Just had 2 cm not 2 inch in my head. That is a real difference. Oooops. xD
    (2) Hoyt PCEXL

MoBowman

bfisher, talked to Joel at Martin this evening and just wanted to let you know............your right on the money there bud 99" and 41". Thanks for the help.

Post Thanks / Like

Thanks for the omeback. I wasn't 100% sure. Just using common sense. The draw lengths shown, cable length. Just made sense that it was only a 40" misprint.

By the way, who are you ordering strings from? If I may suggest---Bucknasty. As good or better than WC's and at much less money.

MoBowman

Nothing wrong with the Bucknasty strings at all, I have them on my Ross and Mathews (I can say that here right ) and also my ole Martin Speedfire and they are some great strings. If more time was available, that's what we would be ordering, but this bow is going on a KS turkey hunt in about 10 days, so time is short. Will be going with the Vapor Trail VTX this time.

Post Thanks / Like

Quote Originally Posted by MoBowman View Post
    Nothing wrong with the Bucknasty strings at all, I have them on my Ross and Mathews (I can say that here right ) and also my ole Martin Speedfire and they are some great strings. If more time was available, that's what we would be ordering, but this bow is going on a KS turkey hunt in about 10 days, so time is short. Will be going with the Vapor Trail VTX this time.

I wish you luck with the turkey's. I've hunted them with a bow and it's no cakewalk by any means.

OK, nothing wrong with Vapor rail either. Just thought I'd mention John and try to save you a buck or two.

Good luck, again.

Barry