Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast

Thread: Nitrous C Shoot Through

dbd870

Question Nitrous C Shoot Through

I am starting to be tempted by a Slayer with these Cams. i am looking for someone with some experience with some of the Martin Cams, like oh say, bfisher! (or others). I think I've stated before I'm too big a wimp for the CAT Cams, how does the draw cycle compare between the 2? If I don't care for the CAT at a moderate weight is the Nitrous going to be similar; after all it is a speed cam as well.

Post Thanks / Like

I guess you're asking about the Nitrous cams. The draw cycle is a bit smoother compared to the Cat cam. It doesn't seem as though there is much letoff because the roll-over is not as abrupt as most cams, but the letoff is there.

I had a SlayR, 2004 model, and with the B cam set at 27" draw was getting about 71% letoff. Not the 75% advertised, but then it was still plenty for me. I actually like a little less as it makes the bow aim more solidly. Ask any good target shooter. The speed I was etting was just a hair less than phenominal. Set up as a 3D bow, shooting 5 gr/lb arrow weight, at 53# it was doing 299fps. At 27 1/2" it was 304fps.

There doesn't seem to be much of a valley. The bow seemed to want to take off on me, but I found that getting the draw length correct was the ticket. That's why I went from 27 1/2" to 27". A lot of guys have this problem, but refuse to change for the sake of a few fps.

You won't see any difference in the draw cycle if shooting the X system. The cam and modules are what they are. The nice thing about the X system is that there is no side loading from the cable guard, so there is no cam lean. Pretty much everything linesup right down the middle of the bow because that's where the cams are located--right in the middle.

Frankly, owning several Nitrous X cammed bows and now the Cat Cam I prefer the Nitrous. Being temporarily physically impaired I am not able to draw as much weight so can't really put the Cat Cam through it's paces and find out how well it performs. Maybe later.

What else you want to know?

Barry

flytier17

I also think the Nitrous x is a lot smoother than the Cats. Thats because of the silkey smooth buildup, and the loong smooth rollover. It has a wall that has a little give, but other than that, is firm, and gives a consistent pullthrough. With 65% mods, it is even smoother, if thats possible.

Again, as bfisher mentioned, there are alot of advantages to the X system. Just don't load broadheads from the rear

A rest like the Whammy is perfect for that cable design.

Also, the added effiency of the Nitrous cam means that for the same seed as another cam, you can shoot this bow @ 5-8lbs less. VERY smooth, smoother than a compareable solocam.

Post Thanks / Like

Besides to the topic..

What is the benefit of using a minimod with a nitrous-cam? I do not need the full draw i can get out of the C-Cam, just something about 31,2 to 32" of 34".

Would a Minimod make sense there?
    (2) Hoyt PCEXL

Post Thanks / Like

Not sure about the numbers you just posted, but the mini-mods reduce the draw length range by 2" on any given Nitrous cam. This increases effiency somewhat as you would be shooting closer to the upper portion of the modules range. Don't know if I said that right.

What's your draw length?

dbd870

Man, I wish I could try it but it's on line; I'm on the fence......

Post Thanks / Like

Note to self. Never post when your brain is already in bed.

My draw-length is something around 31 oder 31,5". I have set the screw for the module in position 2,5.

What do you mean with efficiency?
    (2) Hoyt PCEXL

Post Thanks / Like

Quote Originally Posted by Montalaar View Post
    Note to self. Never post when your brain is already in bed.

My draw-length is something around 31 oder 31,5". I have set the screw for the module in position 2,5.

What do you mean with efficiency?
    Efficiency is a term used to denote how much energy the bow is putting out vs how much energy is stored at full draw, usually stated as a percentage (%). Because bows are a machine they can never put out 100% of the energy stored when drawn. Torque, friction, and such reduce the percentage.

Some of this loss is seen in the form of noise and vibration. Efficiency can be raised by shooting a heavier arrow. Don't ask me to explain it. I know, but it's too much to type.

Another way to use the best efficiency is to shoot a bow at the upper end of it's reported weight range and in the case of modules/cams, at the upper end of the draw length range. The result is more speed for the given draw weight when shooting the same arrow.

Don't get too concerned with the numbers. They aren't that significant. A couple percentage points, maybe.

Now that we've gone through a couple days of this I'm going to bring up another matter. Martin quit making the Nitrous cam and modules. Parts are hard to find. Those that love the cam won't part with anything--me included.

Being as I like to stay up with new technology I went from the Nitrous cam to the Cat cam. There are other reasons, too, that were more significant, but that's another matter. Check the speed of the Slayer with Nitrous vs Cat cams. The Cat is faster, mostly because it's more aggressive. This means a harder draw cycle. The way to get around this is to shoot less weight to get the same speed. Probably about 5# less weight.

This doesn't make you a wimp. It's just that you don't have as much strength as some or you have some common sense and don't have a need to boast about what weight you can shoot. Believe me. I have a very low testosterone level.

For the record, I have a new FireCat with Cat cams and like it. I also have two other MArtin bows with Nitrous X cams on them. One is my hunting bow and the other is a target bow. I like them equally as well.

Here we go again. I don't know when to quit.

Post Thanks / Like

Quote Originally Posted by bfisher View Post
    Efficiency is a term used to denote how much energy the bow is putting out vs how much energy is stored at full draw, usually stated as a percentage (%). Because bows are a machine they can never put out 100% of the energy stored when drawn. Torque, friction, and such reduce the percentage.
    Nothing new, but thanks. :P

Some of this loss is seen in the form of noise and vibration. Efficiency can be raised by shooting a heavier arrow. Don't ask me to explain it. I know, but it's too much to type.
    Hmm, you are not lazy or so? Okay, now i know what you mean. :P

Another way to use the best efficiency is to shoot a bow at the upper end of it's reported weight range and in the case of modules/cams, at the upper end of the draw length range. The result is more speed for the given draw weight when shooting the same arrow.

Don't get too concerned with the numbers. They aren't that significant. A couple percentage points, maybe.
    Okay, in this case nothing interesting for me since i am not in this speed thing this much.. ^^

Now that we've gone through a couple days of this I'm going to bring up another matter. Martin quit making the Nitrous cam and modules. Parts are hard to find. Those that love the cam won't part with anything--me included.
    Would be no problem for me. My pro shop in germany has everything in store and could send it to me within 2 days. Beside that i have a full set of nitrous-cams. xD

In this case the minimods are not as interesting as they seemed to be. But i may send you a pm bfisher. :P
    (2) Hoyt PCEXL

dbd870

Question

How do the nitrous vs furious compare. I did shoot a S4 with the furious - liked it.