Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast

Thread: Damaged cam

Post Thanks / Like

Default Damaged cam

My last post was about the differences between Slayers and SlayRs. Since then the SlayR that I bought ( through the ArcheryTalk classified ads ) arrived and upon inspection, I discovered what appears to me a damaged cam. Is this bow safe to shoot? How can I repair the cam? There are numerous dings and burrs on the lower cam, although only two that make contact with the string, one I can see, and one that I can feel with a fingernail run along the string. I think I need help, what should I do ?

flytier17

Were you notified of the scratches? If you were not the guy who sold it to you deserves to be reamed out real good.

Maybe a machinist can fi it. Since you are not the original owner, the warrenty is no longer valid.

Post Thanks / Like

Default Cam damage

Oh yeah, I let the seller know as soon as I found the damaged cam. I can't really get into too much more than that, without slinging mud, other than to say that I sent him the above photo and 3 others yesterday. Have'nt heard back from him as yet. I still have hope that he will respond. The seller has good feedback, for what thats worth.
    What do you think, is it safe to shoot? And do those cams bend? Looks like it took a pretty good hit, to end up like that. The good news is my son is a machinist, but the bad news is, he lives an eight hour drive from me.

Post Thanks / Like

Default More photos

I think that they are beyond scratches. The dings and gouges on the outer sides of the cam are mostly cosmedic ( sorry about spelling ) but the internal ones are of concern. Here are the rest of the pictures

My thoughts are that the larger gouge (in the first picture ) will begin to fray and or cut the string. As it is now, I'm scared to shoot it.

Post Thanks / Like

Do you have a bow press? If not her is what I'd do. I'd back off the limb bolts enough to remove the string from the cams, Get you a piece of 400 grit sand paper and fold it about two or three timesd so it is rather stiff. Then sand out the knicks in the string groove. You can do the ones on the exterior, too, but as youy said, these are just cosmetic.

If it were me I would have taken care of this before I sold the bow, and would have stated so. However, just a bit of the sanding I mentioned will make the bow as good as new.

Post Thanks / Like

Default Cam leaning?

Is it normal for the string to be off to one side? Seems to me that the string is riding the right side of the groove, not in the center. In responce to bfisher's post, are you saying that I can back off the limb bolts enough to remove the string without a bow press? Please remember that I have no experience with compound bows. And that the nearest proshop to me is at least a two hour drive from here.

Post Thanks / Like

Right, you can do that.

Important:

Do this only with Martin compound bows. Every other Compound would be damaged if you back out the limb bolts and remove the string.
    (2) Martin ShadowCat 2010

Post Thanks / Like

Quote Originally Posted by Montalaar View Post
    Right, you can do that.

Important:

Do this only with Martin compound bows. Every other Compound would be damaged if you back out the limb bolts and remove the string.
    Important:make sure you only back them no further than when you start to see daylight through the barrel nut the limb bolt goes through and then maybe two more turns but no more than that for each limb bolt.

Post Thanks / Like

I think it should be possible to the remove the string from the cam before the daylight is visible through the barrel. xD
    (2) Martin ShadowCat 2010

Post Thanks / Like

It depends on how much deflection you have in the limbs and how short the limb bolt is. They put a short one in one of my Slayers one time. It was almost imposible to get the string back on. Luckily i do have a press.