Page 2 of 2 FirstFirst 12

Thread: Damaged cam

Post Thanks / Like

Oh. I did not know that there are different lengths. Thought that it would be always the same standard length.
    (2) Hoyt PCEXL

Post Thanks / Like

Default Wrong !

Backing off the limb bolts till daylight is visable thru the barrel nut does not allow me to remove the string. At that point there is still plenty of tension on the limbs. enough that the string is still tight, although one of the cables is loose. Not loose enough to remove it. Any other ideas?

Post Thanks / Like

Man. Sorry about you troubles. But the next time you are in town, invest $40.00 in a portable bow press. I never go anywhere with out mine.

My bottom cam has verious dings on it. But not as bad as yours. The dings don't look bad enough to affect the strenght of the cam. With the limb bolts backed off as much as you can get them, can you move the string over enough to hone the ding in the string track enough to get the sharp edges off. I wouldn't hone anymore than nessary or the string may not want to track wright.

Robert
    May All Of Your Arrows Find The Bulls Eye-MSMFSL
    NRA Life Member
    NFAA Member
    Martin Proud
    Scepter IV Elite w/Furious X Cams

Post Thanks / Like

Not able to move string over to the side. This bow has the X-shoot through system, don't know if that is whats holding it tight. While futzing around with the bow I don't know if it is safe to shoot, I noticed that the cams seem to lean. Since I can't shoot it, I thought I might as well check it to see if the cams do indeed lean. Yeah, they do. Not a lot, but then what is a lot. To find out how much they lean, I used a 4' level, which I layed on the sides of the cams, figuring that if they where aligned that they would make even contac all along. They don't. When I lay the level on the left side of the cams, the contact is just on the cam's 'toe', and when on the right side there is a measurable gap at the 'toe'. 5/64" on the top cam and 3/64" on the bottom cam. Is this badly out-of-line, or normal varience?

Darrenhood

If you measure the axle to axle length on both sides, you'll see one side is a bit longer. Get that bow press people are talking about so you can unload it & shorten (twist up) the cables on the side where the A2A measured long.

Get the A2A the same on both sides & most all of the cam lean should be gone.

Maybe a jewelers/gunsmith file, or a chainsaw file can work those burs down on the cam, then finish it smooth with emory cloth or sand paper. Nice that there's no black anodized finish to sand off, just bare aluminum to work with. Should look nice when you're done.

Post Thanks / Like

You should be able to put pressure on the oposite cable thereby taking the other side off and twisting or untwisting to the desired number of turns. I can do this with all my Martins with the shoot through system even while the limb are bottomed out (though it is easier with some tension taken out). You do not need something so cumbersome as a level to check for cam lean. All you need is a strait arrow laid along side the cam; as long as the string at the cam end is the same or pretty close to the same distance as the arrow to string distance at the other end I would say your cam lean is practically non existent. I would say as long as it is 1/8" or less you should not worry about it anymore.

Post Thanks / Like

Default Finally shooting

I used the level because I want to check the alignment to top and bottom cams to each other, I don't have a 40" + arrow to do that with, do you? Thanks for explaining how to true up the alignment. Drove 180 + miles yesterday to get to a small archery shop, so that I could get a bow press. Cam fixed !!! Once I had the string off, it was an easy fix, put the smallest grindstone I had in the Dremel, took more time getting my position right than it did the buzz out that burr. I then used a really fine whetstone to polish out the rest of the burrs. Put a new string on, got every thing set up, and at last I got to shoot the bow, Its everythig I thought it would be ! And Wow ! its fast. Not too sure about that relaese thing however, Last evening, thought I slip out and fire a few more arrows, and now today I'll need to go out into the woods out back to try and find that arrow I heard thunk into a tree after the release went off mid draw. Thanks for all of your help and suggestions.

Post Thanks / Like

It does not have to be that long. As long as it rides along the string and remains the pretty much the same distance between string and strait edge you are fine. After you do one cam then you do the same for the other cam.