Page 2 of 2 FirstFirst 12

Thread: Bow Speed

flytier17

#1, no one type of setup is perfect for everyone.

#2, What Nuge says always seems to be full of hot air. To me anyways. I think he just likes to hear himself talk more than anything.

Any bow out there is powerful enough at even 50 lbs to be VERY capeable of killing any NA game. I shoot 65lbs hunting, but would have no problem shooting 55lbs. I just lift weights, and this continual practice at a heavier draw is what I do to keep my muscle strength up instead of wasting time on a bench. If I were you, order it with a 60lb, or even 55lb peak weight. Your draw will be a lot smoother too, and your shoulders will thank you for it down the road.

I shoot a 513gr arrow. It is zipping along @ 267fps right now. My bow crazy quiet, and my KE is over 80 ft/lbs. Heres how I look at it: A deer can jump a super-fast arrow if it is a fast deer. BUT, a deer CANNOT jump an arrow that it cannot hear.

A light arrow loses KE quicker. If it hits a tough section of a shoulder blade it will pretty much stop there. I have personally put a Muzzy broadhead through 2 shoulderblades of a 1300lb dead cow, and had a pass-through. if my arrow was 325grs., NO WAY that would have happened. My arrow was intact (not the blades on the BH though). A light arrow would have blown up, and not even penetrated the 1st shoulderblade.

Just my reasoning. Hope this helps.

goinhtn63

Just a little food for thought. Think back to the Indian days. Did the indians have high octane fast shooting bows?? No they didn't. Its easy to get caught up in all the hooplaw with fast shooting bows. It's just not needed.
    You can kill all NA game with a recurve bow. So no need to go crazy with a compound. Make it work for you... If you can fling an arrow out there at 250-290 FPS you are doing great.

Just my 2cents....

Post Thanks / Like

Quote Originally Posted by goinhtn63 View Post
    Just a little food for thought. Think back to the Indian days. Did the indians have high octane fast shooting bows?? No they didn't. Its easy to get caught up in all the hooplaw with fast shooting bows. It's just not needed.
    You can kill all NA game with a recurve bow. So no need to go crazy with a compound. Make it work for you... If you can fling an arrow out there at 250-290 FPS you are doing great.

Just my 2cents....
    No doubt I agree with you about not needing a bunch of speed, but bows today are capable of very good speed so why not use it? That being said, if indians had such good bows why did they eventially grab all the guns they could. I'll bet there weren't very many obese indians way back when. Come to think of it, I seem to remember learning that they often stampeded them off cliffs and such.