Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast
Results 1 to 10 of 13

Thread: String and Wheel Misaligned?

  1. #1
    geronimo
    Guest

    Default String and Wheel Misaligned?

    I just noticed today that the string coming off the top wheel on my new 08 Cheetah is not straight but coming off to the right. Should I be concerned?

  2. #2
    Super Moderator bfisher's Avatar
    Join Date
    Nov 2005
    Location
    Middletown, Pa, USA
    Posts
    11,584
    Post Thanks / Like

    Default

    Yes, please be concerned. It should not be this way, but is very common on single cam bows. It can be corrected though.

    You will need a bow press to relieve pressure from the limbs. Before doing so notice which way the idler is leaning. Now put sme pressure on one side of the cable yoke that attaches to the top limb to see which one you need to add twists to to align the idler. It may take 5-7 twists of that side of the yoke to get it.

    What you are seeing is actually the limb being twisted by the forces imposed by the cable rod/slide. What you are doing by twisting the yoke is countering that force. It's not a perfect fix, but it's the best you can do with a single cam bow for now and the forseeable future.

    Once you get it straightened out the bow should shoot better than it was before. If you are experiencing any lean of the cam on the bottom limb then you just have to live with it. The only option you have there is to take the bow to your dealer and see what he'll do or send the bow back to Martin with a letter stating your concern. Call them first.

  3. #3
    geronimo
    Guest

    Default

    Thanks Bfisher, I'll take it to my shop tomorrow!

  4. #4
    cdfirefighter1
    Guest

    Default

    you can do it without a bow press.. just back the limb bolts out 1-2 turns at a time evenly till you see daylight through the steel barrel that the limb bolt srews into.. then you can take one side of the cable off and add twists as needed..

  5. #5
    Super Moderator bfisher's Avatar
    Join Date
    Nov 2005
    Location
    Middletown, Pa, USA
    Posts
    11,584
    Post Thanks / Like

    Default

    Quote Originally Posted by cdfirefighter1 View Post
    you can do it without a bow press.. just back the limb bolts out 1-2 turns at a time evenly till you see daylight through the steel barrel that the limb bolt srews into.. then you can take one side of the cable off and add twists as needed..
    This is very true, but it's a whole lot quicker if you have access to a press. Getting the right amount of twists usually takes several tries to get it right.

    Geronimo, if you don't know how to align the idler here's a tip. Just use an arrow as a straight edge. Hold it against the side of the idler parallel with the string. When you have it aligned well the arrow will maintain the same slight gap between the string and the arrow for the entire length of the arrow. It doesn't have to be perfect, but get it as close as you can.

  6. #6
    geronimo
    Guest

    Default

    It's done....and the world is "round" again....Thanks everyone!

  7. #7
    cdfirefighter1
    Guest

    Default

    Quote Originally Posted by bfisher View Post
    This is very true, but it's a whole lot quicker if you have access to a press. Getting the right amount of twists usually takes several tries to get it right.

    Geronimo, if you don't know how to align the idler here's a tip. Just use an arrow as a straight edge. Hold it against the side of the idler parallel with the string. When you have it aligned well the arrow will maintain the same slight gap between the string and the arrow for the entire length of the arrow. It doesn't have to be perfect, but get it as close as you can.
    yup.. yup... it would be alot more conveinent with a press.. there has been a few yimes when I would have liked a press.. if only I could offord one and my bow shop is not close at all.. so for now I just back the bolts out..

  8. #8
    Super Moderator bfisher's Avatar
    Join Date
    Nov 2005
    Location
    Middletown, Pa, USA
    Posts
    11,584
    Post Thanks / Like

    Default

    cdf, you have to have heard that there is a thing called a Bowmaster. I have one with the split limb adapters and use it pretty often. Doesn't cost an arm and a leg---about $55 for the set. It works just as well as my bench mounted Apple and I can carry it in my bow case to my archery club. That's where I do most of my tinkering anyway. I haven't used my Apple in probably four years.

    Another thing nice about this and some of the other portables is that because they attach to the limb tips there is no way to bend a riser. They are a little slower than a bigger press, but slow means you have less chance to bend or break something.

    Think about it. It's one of the more handy tools to have around.

    Hope this helps you a little.

    Barry

  9. #9
    geronimo
    Guest

    Default

    Quote Originally Posted by cdfirefighter1 View Post
    yup.. yup... it would be alot more conveinent with a press.. there has been a few yimes when I would have liked a press.. if only I could offord one and my bow shop is not close at all.. so for now I just back the bolts out..
    Check out this item on Ebay #300216302915. I think this is the kind of press that bfisher is referring to.

  10. #10
    cdfirefighter1
    Guest

    Default

    Quote Originally Posted by bfisher View Post
    cdf, you have to have heard that there is a thing called a Bowmaster. I have one with the split limb adapters and use it pretty often. Doesn't cost an arm and a leg---about $55 for the set. It works just as well as my bench mounted Apple and I can carry it in my bow case to my archery club. That's where I do most of my tinkering anyway. I haven't used my Apple in probably four years.

    Another thing nice about this and some of the other portables is that because they attach to the limb tips there is no way to bend a riser. They are a little slower than a bigger press, but slow means you have less chance to bend or break something.

    Think about it. It's one of the more handy tools to have around.

    Hope this helps you a little.

    Barry
    thx barry.. I really do need to get a press of some kind... but my mission first is to get nitrous cams on my pantera and have it powdercated.. while im on hte subject barry would you know if the nitrous cams can be PC'ed or should they be dipped instead?? reason IM asking is im not sure how thick the PC is..

Posting Permissions

  • You may not post new threads
  • You may not post replies
  • You may not post attachments
  • You may not edit your posts
  •