Thread: MOAB vs. Bengal

pfromdawoods

Default MOAB vs. Bengal

I don't see a whole lot of difference between the MOAB and the Bengal, other than $30 buck. Will you highlight the differences and advantage between the two. The stores/shops seem to push the one they carry, and I would like an unbias opinion.
    P.S. This will be my first year with a bow in the woods.

Thanks
    Paul (in da woods)

Post Thanks / Like

Okay, let me give you a view on the differences as far as i can see them from my position.

Bengal
    - Gold Series
    - BH 7"
    - Weights 4.4 lbs
    - A2A 32"

MOAB
    - Pro Series
    - BH 7 3/8"
    - Weights 3.6 lbs
    - A2A 32 3/4"
    Further the MOAB comes with Roto Limb Cup system, the arrow silencing shelf plate, limb dampeners and a carbon rod.

Feel free to compare the bows on www.martinarchery.com/moab.php and www.martinarchery.com/bengal.php
    (2) Martin ShadowCat 2010

dbd870

Beyond the specs having had a chance to play with both of them I wouldn't even consider the Bengal, it feels like a brick compared to the MOAB. From my perspective there are only 2 hunting bows worth looking at from Martin; the Firecat for the speed bow fans or the MOAB for those of us who prefer a less aggressive draw cycle. Target, 3D - different story.

Post Thanks / Like

Quote Originally Posted by dbd870 View Post
    Beyond the specs having had a chance to play with both of them I wouldn't even consider the Bengal, it feels like a brick compared to the MOAB. From my perspective there are only 2 hunting bows worth looking at from Martin; the Firecat for the speed bow fans or the MOAB for those of us who prefer a less aggressive draw cycle. Target, 3D - different story.
    Ditto. For $30 I'm going with the Moab. Just more up to date technology and lighter mass weight.

Elk4me

I have shot and owned both. The MOAB is a excellent bow. Likewise the Bengal is also. I sold my MOAB to buy a Firecat and got a Bengal as a backup bow. The Moab is a bit lighter and has a drawstop. Both Speeds are close, but I still like the Bengal, but if your looking for a tad lighter bow go with the MOAB.

pfromdawoods

Default Please expand

Quote Originally Posted by dbd870 View Post
    Why is target and 3D a different story. I would like to shoot in the off season too, so I might join a team at some point.

flytier17

Well, then you would look at longer A2A, bigger BH, dual cams for better nock travel, etc...

3-D, speed is a plus too.

A short solocam bow is not exactly ideal, but also not impossible.

Darrenhood

Not like me to go for the cheaper unit, especialy when it comes to weapons, but I went with the Bengal. I like the more traditional limb pockets & riser, over the inlaid cat stripe panel like wood in the dash board on a Jaguar (car).

A single cam realy is a 2 cam, both cam surfaces are machined into one common piece of metal, so the cams don't slip in relation to each other. The idler diameter makes up for the difference in the 2 cam profile diameters.

Back in my 2 cam days, shooting a bullethole thru paper was usualy a "close as I could get it" deal & of course hunted well without it.

Since I broke down & tried single cams, getting a nice hole in the paper has been near effortless. Nock heigth being the only adjustment needed.

A good hole isn't necessary & some will argue that a bow might be tuned it's best while not making a good tear, but it sure is a sign that something must be right if your rig is making nice holes from right in front of the bow to however far you care to shoot it.

The Moab only being 3/4 inch longer, I may be wrong but I didn't figure it'd be much more forgiving.

flytier17

Diana, yer back! Where ya been?

Solocams are very good these days, I agree. However, there is no denying that they commonly have more vertical nock travel, and idler lean whan any other system. Also, they have reduced effeciency. When was the last time you saw a 340+IBO solocam?