Thread: Peep Sights

Bushy

Default Peep Sights

Hi

I have just purchased my first bow which is a Martin Cheetah. I am quite happy with how the bow is going but I do have one problem which I hoped one of you guys might be able to help me with. I have just fitted a Spot Hog Ė Hunter sight. When I look through the peep I canít see the pin guard as it is too small. The local archery shop recommended reaming the sight out, which I did, all the way to 3/8 ď and it is still not big enough. I feel my draw length is pretty close and the sight is set as far forward as it will go.

Any help would be appreciated

Brett

Post Thanks / Like

Can't say I've ever run into this problem. What comes to mind is that the peep must be pretty far from your eye due to the short A2A and acute string angle. Usually I get about 3/16" to bracket the 2 3/8" sight guard on my Real Deal. 3/8" should be plenty.

This is just a suggestion but do a search for Predator peep sight and see if this might be an option for you. One other thingyou might think about is increasing the draw length some to get the peep closer to your eye. This is something I rarely ever suggest, but in your case I'll make an exception.

Post Thanks / Like

Quote Originally Posted by Bushy View Post
    Hi

I have just purchased my first bow which is a Martin Cheetah. I am quite happy with how the bow is going but I do have one problem which I hoped one of you guys might be able to help me with. I have just fitted a Spot Hog Ė Hunter sight. When I look through the peep I canít see the pin guard as it is too small. The local archery shop recommended reaming the sight out, which I did, all the way to 3/8 ď and it is still not big enough. I feel my draw length is pretty close and the sight is set as far forward as it will go.

Any help would be appreciated

Brett
    Depending on your draw length and the AtoA of the bow th
    e peep you are using may not be angled enough. They do make a peep that is angled more for the shorter AtoA bows when they are used with a longer draw length. I think I may have been redundent but see if that may not be your problem.

Bushy

Thanks guys , it may be a combination of all you have said, I replaced the peep sight yesterday with a Bohn hunter sight and it is much better, but it is still not quite big enough, but I may be able to raise may anchor point, and slide the peep down the string. With a longer ATA the peep would be closer to my eye.

I currently I lock the web between thumb and first finger into the bottom of my jaw, which may be a bit low, although itís very comfortable and repeatable

I will experiment and let you know how I get on.

Post Thanks / Like

I don't care who says what if it is compfotable and repeatable don't compromise on your anchor point.

Bushy

Your right, I came to the same conclusion, the missus took a photo so I could check my form and my anchor wasnít low it looked ok, any where else just didnít seem right. The knock is at the corner of my mouth and the string almost touches my nose. It may be just a product of the short ATA and I may have an unusually shaped head.
    The Bohning peep sight I put on yesterday is much better than the pro hunter that came with the bow even though the Bohning is smaller in diameter.

I like the look of the predator, I might order that and see if it makes the difference.

Thanks for the help.

flytier17

Try one of the ones that lies horozontally in the string, split by 3 strands.

Muskeg

I just switched to a Meta Peep from G5.. I haven't shot through it yet but its really slick. Still trying to align it properly. its off slightly to one side but the visibility is perfect for the Cheetah it measures 1/4. Draw length of 28.5

Post Thanks / Like

I believe Scepterman was referring to the Speicalty peeps. They make several different sizes and the Superball comes in a 37 degree angle for short A2A bow and long draw lengths. The standard angle is 45 degrees.

These are pretty good peeps and you should really try these at a shop vs just ordering one to see if one will work for you. They aren't cheap, but I like them.

Muskeg mentoned the Meta peep made by G5. This comes with a 45 degree angle and as large as 5/16" hole. I got one of these on my FireCat.