Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast

Thread: Looking for more vane clearance

Post Thanks / Like

Default Looking for more vane clearance

Hello again, its me, the old recurve shooter learning about compounds. I have a 2006 Martin SlayR with the nitrous X shoot thru system. Just finished fletching new arrows with Blazer vanes and ran into another problem. They are not going to clear the cables ( inside to inside measures 1 3/8" ) and with the .5 height of the Blazer on the 5/16 od dia of the Beman Hunters ( 400 size ) I need a bit more room. I am wondering if it is possible to use top and bottom cable guides to gain more clearance, don't need much deflection, 3/16 either side will work. Any other options, maybe wider axles, although it seems to me that the axles would have to be quite a bit wider in order to gain that much clearance at the point where the arrow rest is. You all have been a great help in the past , let's see how ya do with this one. Thanks.
    http://eastoutfitter.tripod.com/index.html
    http://www.cascadianbowmen.org/
    Martin 06 Slayer, Nitrous C, shoot thru, 63lb, Quiktune 3000, HAA OL 5519, Beman ICS Hunter
    Martin 06 Slayer, Nitrous C, Shoot thru, 55lb, Quiktune 3000, HHA OL 5519 2X, Easton A/C/C
    Ben Pearson 1968 'Cougar' 62" 45#s @ 28" recurve, parallel shaft POC, Zwickey 'Eskimo' 2 blade

flytier17

Try the wider axel kit that came witht he bow. If that fails, I hear there are cable spreaders available, though I have never seen them myself...

Post Thanks / Like

Elk,

Alec is refering to kit that has wider axles for the X system bows. Maybe your dealer can order the kit or call Martin directly. All it is is a pair of 3 1/4" axles, two spacers for the cables to hang off of and the appropriate E clips.
    In the catalog it's part # BP-102.

Post Thanks / Like

The current axles are approx 2 3/4" so this kit would give me another 1/4" either side at the limb end but how much actual clearance would I gain at the arrow rest ? I'm guessing that this kit is what flytier17 is using on his Slayer since he's shooting blazers out of it? By the way, there is no dealer, have to do most everything on-line. Had to drive 2 hours one way to find a shop that had a bow press. Thanks again.
    Martin 06 Slayer, Nitrous C, shoot thru, 63lb, Quiktune 3000, HAA OL 5519, Beman ICS Hunter
    Martin 06 Slayer, Nitrous C, Shoot thru, 55lb, Quiktune 3000, HHA OL 5519 2X, Easton A/C/C
    Ben Pearson 1968 'Cougar' 62" 45#s @ 28" recurve, parallel shaft POC, Zwickey 'Eskimo' 2 blade

Post Thanks / Like

Got a credit card? You can probably order them directly from Martin.

You should gain 1/4" on each side at the arrow pass.

There's another option, you know. Nothing says you have to shoot Blazers. I don't shoot them just for this reason. I actually use Duravane LP-400 vanes on a couple of my hunting arrows (GT 22 series) with standard axles.

flytier17

I use the regular axels. I fletch my Blazers 4, but not spaced evenly. There is a bitz setting that allows them to be closer in pairs. i do this and shoot them vertical.

Post Thanks / Like

Quote Originally Posted by flytier17 View Post
    I use the regular axels. I fletch my Blazers 4, but not spaced evenly. There is a bitz setting that allows them to be closer in pairs. i do this and shoot them vertical.
    Yes sir:

It's 75X105 degrees. Then there's 4X90 degrees. I don't know how it would work, but I've given some thought to trying only two fletches 180 degrees apart. Just use the 90 degree setting and skip the two in the middle.

Shoot one up and one down. It would work with my low profile Duravanes, but I don't know about Blazers. Then of course, I know it wouldn't work off my blade rest (TT Spring Steel) unless I turn them horizontal.

Post Thanks / Like

Default wider axles

So then, neither of you have or are using the wider axle kit ? Turns out that I have the axles ( came with the bow in a little plastic bag, 4 cable posts? and 2 E clips ) no spacers. Seems like it would be easy to bend one of those axles, if you were'nt carefull, I mean, they are going to be sorta hangin out there in space. I guess that we're only talking a 1/4 " either side, just seems like a lot of unsuported axle. But then, also seems that Martin knows what they are doing.
    Yeah, I know that nothing says I need to use those Blazers, other that I wanted to, have now gone to VaneTec Super spine low profile, should be here any day now, guess I'll have to paint on my own tiger stripes. Really like the look. Thanks for your help.

Post Thanks / Like

The answer is "yes" I do use the wider axles. I have them on one bow and not the other. With either bow I use 4" feathers and get clearance.

I know Blazers are higher profile (about 9/16") and stiffer than average vanes. I have never tried Blazers for just these two reasons. I know they can work now that we have the option of drop-away rests, but they can be the cause of problems, too.

I know some people who shoot regular cable-guarded bows that have problems with the vanes hitting thei cables. You're finding out about them and the X system. OK!!! So why shoot such a high profile vane?

Well, this high profile helps give the vane more "square inches" of vane surface for use with broadheads. But the same can be accomplished by using a lower profile 3" vane or even a Duravane LP 400 (4"). I know what you're going to say. These wouldn't be as stiff, and I agree. But just how stiff do they need to be?

Besides, for my archaic way of thinking I don't want to be just another dumb cluck jumping on the bandwagon for the "latest and greatest" new gadget to hit the archery market.

Martinlover

Default increasing fletch clearance on shoot thru

Quote Originally Posted by elkslayer4x5 View Post
    I have a 2006 Martin SlayR with the nitrous X shoot thru system. Just finished fletching new arrows with Blazer vanes and ran into another problem. They are not going to clear the cables
    Don't widen those axles....widen the cables using carbon shaft. Its heaps better and you'll gain speed by eliminating friction between the 2 sets of power cables that tend to rub as they are drawn and released.

1. Cut two pieces of carbon shaft to use as spacers (with an angle grinder or cutting tool - or a very fine hacksaw). One spacer rod will be shorter than the other to eliminate friction between the two sets of cables.

2. You will need to determine the location of each spacer before deciding the length required to increase your clearance. VIP: See below). This is critical.

3. At each end of each spacer cut grooves for the strings to fit into (make sure the grooves are aligned at each end of each spacer rod and avoid gooves deeper than the width of the string.

I shoot a nitrous cam shoot thru system on a Martin Cougar Elite 4. The 2 inside cables rub against the 2 outside cables (cross over point) as you draw. Add wax to your cables and you substantially reduce speed.

4. Place the spacers between each set of cables and thread with serving down the centre of the spacer (tie the cables together thru the centre of the rod).

CAUTION: pOSITION THE spacers intelligently. As you draw, the inside cables will move together in one direction and the outside cables will move in the other direction. And as you draw the crossover point will move up and down so test this out and observe the movement. If you dont place the rods correctly you will end up with the inside cables pulling against the rod on the outside cables at full draw. If you place the rods too close to the cam you risk barely meeting the cable with your cam stop at full draw. If you don't make the inside cable spacer smaller then the outside spacer the 2 sets of cables will still rub.

It works fantastic!!! And the speed gains are terrific over an unspaced shoot thru system.