Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast

Thread: cam broken and limb cracked

buckshot20

Default cam broken and limb cracked

I just bought my cougar last August so it is less than 1 year old and while shooting this afternoon my cam broke which caused my limb to crack. I live in south florida so cold weather can be ruled out. Can anybody help me with the procedure for getting this replaced? thank you.

Post Thanks / Like

It is pretty easy.

Get to the dealer you bought your cougar from. There is a lifetime warranty on your bow so the dealer can get you new limbs and a new cam as long as you are in the terms of warranty. You can read them on the back of your manual.
    (2) Hoyt PCEXL

buckshot20

unfortunately my dealer is about 250 miles away and i can't get up there right now due to work...is it possible to go through the factory or would it just be easier to make the drive

Post Thanks / Like

Maybe you can call him so he can get the parts for the bow and you only drive to him so that he can make the changes. In this case he has to know what you need.

An other pssobility is to call the customer service and ask for replacement parts. Better contact your shop first.
    (2) Hoyt PCEXL

Post Thanks / Like

Is it possible for you to change the parts yourself? You don't necessarily need a bowpress. Martin bows have extra long limb bolts so can be backed out far enough to disassemble the bow. All it takes is a little knowhow and I always advise taking some digital photos of the cams and cables to ensure you get them back on correctly and get the cams in proper orientation.

I'd give a call to Jake or Joel at customer service and see what they can do for you. You never know till you ask. Maybe they'll work through one of your local shops. Call and see.

Post Thanks / Like

JUst out of curiosity what cam is on the bow? I kno Martin had some issues with the Tru-Arc cams, but have heard nothing bad about the Dyna or Nitrous.

buckshot20

Thanks guys i will give them a call tomorrow and see what we can do...It's the dyna cam. there is a little plastic piece on the right side, that's what broke. I had just come to full draw when it gave out so i guess that is what caused my limb to crack. Anyway atleast it happened now and not during hunting season!

buckshot20

i may be able to replace the parts myself. There's no strain on the bow as it is now so i wouldn't need a bowpress until it came time to put a string on it. I'm no professional however and i think i know just enough to get me in trouble, but hopefully i can get the parts and go from there...thanks again

Post Thanks / Like

Quote Originally Posted by buckshot20 View Post
    i may be able to replace the parts myself. There's no strain on the bow as it is now so i wouldn't need a bowpress until it came time to put a string on it. I'm no professional however and i think i know just enough to get me in trouble, but hopefully i can get the parts and go from there...thanks again

Hey, getting in trouble an be fun, too. That's how I learned how to repair bows. Just tear them down and get to it. Unfortunately in my day we didn't have the internet or digital cameras for help so I drew pictures and still messed up. Frrustrating at times but I learned a lot. To that end I've been shooting compounds since 1973 and never had one in a shop for any work.

Buck, if you have the weight off the bow now it doesn't take much more to be able to replace the string. One thing I like about Martin bows. No press needed in a pinch.

buckshot20

I called customer service today and talked to Joel. He said the new Gander Mountain should be a dealer. They just opened a couple weeks ago and i didn't see any martin stuff in there but they may not have been stocked yet. He told me to take it up there and have them order the parts and he could probably have them shipped out the same day. That sure says a lot about their customer service huh? No hassel, No run-a-round. I wish insurance companies worked like this. Anyway, thanks guys and i'll let you know how it comes out.
    Last edited by buckshot20; 05-12-2008 at 07:19 PM.