Thread: Limb Change ??

MarkFrantz

Default Limb Change ??

I have an 07 Martin Monster Buck Hunter , same identical specs as the Cheetah and same M- Pro Cam , my question is i have a 70 lb Bow can i install 60 lb Cheetah Limbs on it ? I went to a lightspeed arrow and jacked my speed up nicely and groups perfect , I have it turned down to 64 lbs now but i would much rather have it maxed out @ 60 instead of cranking it down , i dont need my poundage to make the speed i like , looking to make comfort to match the speed .
    Last edited by MarkFrantz; 05-19-2008 at 10:49 PM.

dbd870

There is really no need to change limbs. Any loss of efficiency in backing off a 70# limb to 64# is triffling, but a super mag limb is a super mag limb. Do whatever you want, it really gains you nothing for the $ you'd spend; now if you were going to drop the draw weight down below what your limbs will handle - different story.

Post Thanks / Like

First measure the length of the limbs. It either has 13" or 14" limbs. On the side of the limb near the base there will be a number and letter, such as 4H or something like that. If you want to drop 10# then you need to get new limbs with a number like 2H. Each number down from what you have will amount to 5#.

Is this understandable?

MarkFrantz

Quote Originally Posted by bfisher View Post
    First measure the length of the limbs. It either has 13" or 14" limbs. On the side of the limb near the base there will be a number and letter, such as 4H or something like that. If you want to drop 10# then you need to get new limbs with a number like 2H. Each number down from what you have will amount to 5#.

Is this understandable?
    Yes it is , i wandered what those numbers ment on the limbs , a maxed out bow will shoot better than a bow turned down down to the same poundage wont it ?

Post Thanks / Like

That is what most people say. I do not feel any difference between a maxed out or a turned down bow.
    (2) Hoyt PCEXL

MarkFrantz

Quote Originally Posted by dbd870 View Post
    There is really no need to change limbs. Any loss of efficiency in backing off a 70# limb to 64# is triffling, but a super mag limb is a super mag limb. Do whatever you want, it really gains you nothing for the $ you'd spend; now if you were going to drop the draw weight down below what your limbs will handle - different story.
    I dont know what kind of Bow you shoot but I know when i turn my 70 lb Cheetah down to 60 I get more noise , Vibration and hand shock , with it maxed out with the 4M 62 lb. limbs it will be just perfect.

Post Thanks / Like

A bow maxed out or at least in the upper range of it's draw weight will shoot a little more quiet due to the rigging being more taut. Also, pouind for pound it will shoot a little faster, but this is so miniscule as to be not worth worrying about.

Maybe you could put a couple of small catwhiskers on the cables to help with the vibration. Even a couple rubber bands will help. Being as they are on the cables it shouldn't affect the speed much either.

Personally, if this isd a long range project I'd get the lighter limbs. You're saying 4M for 62#. If that's what it is then good. I didn't look at the Bow Cam charts to see.

Explaining further, the letter on the limb means high (H), Med (M), and low (L). Each letter adds or reduces the poundage by about 2-3#, depending on which way you go from what you have now. In other words, if 4M gives you 62# then a 4L should give 60#. A 3H would be real close to a 4L. I almost think ther is some slight overlapping there, but I'm not sure.

Hope this helps explain things a little more.

dbd870

2 Martins - no problem.