Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast

Thread: String/Cable for '08 Cheetah

Highlander

Default String/Cable for '08 Cheetah

I would like to know the BEST string/cable set up for the '08 Cheetah.

Post Thanks / Like

By that do you mean who makes the best strings? To tell the truth there is no such thing. Basically there is factory offerings and generics that you usually find in bow shops. Then there are aftermarket strings, most being pretty good.

The only reason I say there is no such thing as BEST is because there are maybe 100 or more people that make aftermatket strings and none of us has used them all. We find someone that makes good ones and need to look no further.

Personally I've tried three different ones. All of them being top notch.

Winner's Choice is the pioneer of prestretched, no peep rotation strings and they are good. They are also pricey at about $100 a set.

I've used Prostrings and they are good. Check their website.

Then there is Bucknasty over on www.archerytalk.com. His are just a good, if not better than WC's but at about $65 a set. To contact him you can look on AT and PM him The only problem with John is that his strings are so good that he can't keep up with demand so it might take about 3 weeks to get them.

There are a lot of others, too, such as Vapor Trail, Wolfden, Stone Mountain, and others. Most all of them make very good strings and if you pick one and talk to them they can guide you as to what the best material would be for your application, what colors you might want, the type of serving and so forth.

Most will guarantee no peep rotation for a year and if you have problems you just call them and they'll take care of you, often just replacing the string at no cost. Each scenerio can be different. The market is too competitive to lose customers.

One aftermarket string.cable to stay away from is anything that has Zebra/Barracuda on it. Zebra's are terrible and Barracuda is kind of hit-and-miss.

Hope this helps. If you need further help stop back.

Barry

Highlander

Barry,
    Thanks for your reply. And yes you did answer my question. I was just looking for like what works best on a Cheetah/Martin. And thanks for the warning about the Zebra strings. What's up with the Zebra strings?

Chip

Post Thanks / Like

Wow.

We have a pro shop here that is selling those zebra-strings and tells everyone they are the best you will get. Proud to shoot strings made in germany. xD
    (2) Hoyt PCEXL

MarkFrantz

Like Barry mentioned , try looking at www.prostrings .com , and this is what i'm using on my Cheetah and Monster buck Hunter www.rocksolidstrings.com , cant go wrong with either of those choices , plus Rock solid is having a sale 20% at the moment so you should pay $54.00 for the set , Tell Tripp one of the Owners that i sent you there so you get the discount since you are probally not a BowCountry member . He has all the measurements and tell him if you are using an STS so he can serve that area also .

Post Thanks / Like

Thanks Mark. I was thinking of Rock Solid when I posted, but my feeble mind had a fart. Glad you guys can chime in and cover my butt.

In answer to the hullabaloo over Zebra strings. They are made by Mathews or whoever Mathews contracts out to. The general consensus among more knowledgeable Mathews shooters has been that they often have too much creep, sometimes till they are changed after a couple years. How much creep? 've heard of draw lengths increasing up to 1 1/2".

It's just one of those deals where you may or may not get a decent set, but the odds aren't good. Now, assue that you have a new set on your bow and have taken the time and effort to really supertune the bow. 6 months from now your shooting isn't as good and you are pulling your hair out trying to figure out why. Well, if the string creeps then the draw length gets longer throwing your form out of whack. That plus the draw wweight increases on the bow at the same time and cam rotation changes. Too many things going on here. Know what I mean?

With so many good string makers out there I figure it's just best to not get involved with Zebras at all. Barracudas are supposedly better, but I've heard good and bad about them, too. Again, just get something else and be don with it.

Besides Zebras are only black and white and I think some guys would be well off and stand out in the crowd if they shoot pink and purple, right Alec? These days all one needs to do to stand out in a crowd is to shoot something other than a Hoyt, Mathews or Bowtech----like a MARTIN.

Hope this helps answer some of the questions about strings. And srry if I get long winded, but I'm trying to be as precise as possible for the sake of the uninformed or uneducated.

Barry

Highlander

Thanks Barry
    One helluvan explination. Now I'm educated!!!

Chip

flytier17

Barry, NOT PINK and PURPLE!!!!!

Am still considering a colour for the Pantera. How about the marbled green like HOYT has this year? With silver limb pockets and silver grip inserts.

Post Thanks / Like

Quote Originally Posted by flytier17 View Post
    Barry, NOT PINK and PURPLE!!!!!

Am still considering a colour for the Pantera. How about the marbled green like HOYT has this year? With silver limb pockets and silver grip inserts.

You want something really really sharp see if you can find somebody to put a Black Nickel coating on the riser. Then get Black Pearl inserts for the grip.

Next best thing is just chrome plating. Then highly polish the cams and limb pockets.

String color won't matter so just coordinate it with your fletching and nocks.

Byrd Creek