Thread: rytera string

Post Thanks / Like

Default rytera string

Hi, the string on my bullet x is streaching quite a bit and my peep keeps twisting, can anyone tell me why martin would put such a poor string on a high end bow and any suggestions on what a good replacement would be. Thank you.

flytier17

Most bow companies have bad strings. Hoyt has Fuse, which are terrible. Mathews has Zebra, which are not much better. Darton uses Scorpion Venom, also not a high-quality string. Only Bowtech, Diamond (Bowtech), and Ross use good strings; Winners choice. There might be one or two other companies that have decent strings, but very few overall.

The Martin Double Helix Elite (Pro-Series) have good strings, I really like them.

I like my Pro-Strings. Best I have had yet. I hear Bucknasty are also good.

Even the best strings will have stretch. Not too drastic, but it is still there. One thing I promise you is you will notice a big dference with a high-quality set of custom strings.

Post Thanks / Like

One of the advantages of good aftermarket strings is that they will creep just a little during a short breakin period. Then they settle down and won't creep much at all till they are in need of replacement. In other words, replace your strings. Set the bow up close and shoot about 100 shots out of it. Then reset it to factory specs or whatever you want. Then tune the bow, set the peep in place and you're pretty much ready to go.

So far I've used three different manufacturers since starting to use good strings. Winner's Choice ($100/set), Prostrings, and Bucknasty. They are all of equal quality or so close you can't tell. Go with these and look at the money. You can't go wrong getting the best deal.

Some of the new Martins have Stone Mountain as does my FireCat. This is my first venture with them and so far they are pretty impressive. I've been shooting mine since February and have no peep rotation whatsoever. This is one of the indications of whether the strings are creeping or not.

In some cases if your peep is rotating as you draw the bow you just need to add twists to the string to make the strands work as one bundle. I like to twist mine to the point that there is one complete revolution for each 1 1/2" of string. I've used 2", but that doesn't seem to be quite enough. It might take 15 twists on a single cam bow. Do what you have to. If the bow gets too short for A2A and high brace height then maybe get a new string and be done with it.

Be forwarned that twisting the string shortens the draw and drops the draw weight, maybe 1/4" and 5#, so you may need to add about half as many twists to the cable(s) to get it all back to snuff.

It gets to be a lot of tinkering sometimes, but that is how you learn what makes these bows tick. The end results are often well worth the time. Once you do this a few times you should have learned more about the workings of compound bows. And this is not just Martin bows but compound bows in general.

Post Thanks / Like

Smile

Thank you for the advice, I will be checking into a new string asap and get it broke in. I really enjoy this website and find the advice from other martin lovers to be very helpful. Keep up the good work