Thread: Complete newbie

Slicx

Default Complete newbie

I have recently gotten into archery after having a go with a mate's bow and though I would like to start it up as a hobby, I know nothing about it.

Could anyone recommend a book or internet resource that would teach me about all the technical terms and phrases?

I would also like a recommendation into which bow I should start off with from this site (I haven't come across a site that looked better than this so far).

It would be an adult bow, decent quality but not too expensive (since it would be my first).

Thanks in advance.

Post Thanks / Like

Heya.

Welcome to this fascinating and wonderful world of archery.

There are tons of books or DVDs to go with but i cannot recommend any of them to you because i own no books about archery and also no DVDs. Started 9 years ago in my archery club and had very nice people helping me so i did not need something like that.
    When changing from recurve to compound i had a very nice internet source to help me, unfornately it is in german. I have seen nothing like this in english, maybe i should try to translate it. It is a really great page to read.

To recommend you a bow we would need some information about you, although i think you should get to a bow shop and let them measure your draw length and so on.
    We can give you some advices anyway.

With Martin bows you get the choice of really great bows to a fair price.
    (2) Martin ShadowCat 2010

dbd870

Try huntersfriend.com and look at their tech and articles sections. That covers the basics pretty well. I agree with "Monty" go get your hands on as many as you can and have them measure you at a pro shop. Considering the site you're on you know where our recomendations are going to take you! The only differences you'l hear on here are CAT cams vs Nitrous vs MPro.....

Post Thanks / Like

Go to www.archerytalk.com there is a wealth of info there and many years of experience.

Slicx

Thanks for those sites, neither showed up in my searches. Will look through them.

Thanks also for the recommendation about getting my draw length measured.

Post Thanks / Like

When you go to Archery Talk.com. Look in the top section for General Archery Information. Read every topic under that Heading and you will be farther ahead than most.

Good luck, and I hope you come to enjoy Archery as much as I do.
    Robert
    May All Of Your Arrows Find The Bulls Eye-MSMFSL
    NRA Life Member
    NFAA Member
    Martin Proud
    Scepter IV Elite w/Furious X Cams