Thread: Cougar III elite nitrous cam bowstring tuning

bowtecee

Default Cougar III elite nitrous cam bowstring tuning

I need to know if I build the strings per spec, that when I put the buss cables in place why is it that the cams rotate properly however I have cam lean on the top and the bottom is centered? Do I need to twist the cables on the bottom to get true centered rotation of the top cam? Please reply.

Thanks,

bowtecee

Default Nitrous cams

By the way, it is a shoot through X cam setup

Post Thanks / Like

If you notice cam lean you should also notice lean at the limb fork. You need to add a twist to the cable that connects to the side the lower part of the cam is directing to. Add always one twist and check if something changes.
    (2) Hoyt PCEXL

Post Thanks / Like

I hope I can explain this so you can understand it. The first thing you need to do is get rid of the cam lean by twisting or untwisting cables as necessary. If it helps the axle to axle length will be identical when you get rid of the lean. Then you'll probably have to re-syncronize the cams.

I notice you said you made the string and cables to spec. Well, this sounds good, but any hard cam bow can be so touchy that you really can't build the cables that close that they would be perfect. If you have the feel for timing the cams then you know that a half twist on just one cable can be felt when you draw the bow. I don't believe anybody would be able to see the difference if measuring them.

flytier17

Cam Lean Detection:

#1 Lay a straight arrow on the side of a cam parallell to the string, with the majority of the length protruding towards the center region of the string.

#2 Notice the gap between the tip of the arrow and the string.

#3 Do the same to the other side of the cam. Comparing the gaps will make it easy to detect lean.

#4 Repeat for other cam.
    Last edited by flytier17; 06-17-2008 at 08:03 PM.

flytier17

Cam Lean Correction: (without a press!!!!!)

#1 Determine which way the cam has to be moved.

#2 Grab ahold of the cable on the other side of the limb from the cable you will be twisting. Pull it with your fingers until the other cable is slack.

#3 Remove the slack cable form the tip and give 1/2 twist to tighten. Put back on the limb.

#4 Repeat for the other cam. Check using "Cam Lean Detection" proceedure.

Post Thanks / Like

Angry

Hmmm.. Sometimes i should better use this small red 'x' in the upper red corner of my Firefox instead of writing replies like THAT.
    (2) Hoyt PCEXL

Post Thanks / Like

Don't sweat it Simon. We all know what we're saying. It's just more difficult to put it into words sometimes. I know, even being American, I'm not that affluent with words sometimes. It gets worse with age, too.

Post Thanks / Like

bfisher is correct, he is also correct about having to resynce the cams. Just incase you don't already know this there is a little trick you can use to fix cam lean without possibly resyncing the bow if it is already synced properly. If you have enough twist in the cables already...insted of twisting up a side or untwisting a side; say you need 6 wist to remove lean and your bow is synced properly...you can put 3 twist in one side and untwist the other side 3twist and your timing should be fine (maybe). Note: if you have a lot of twist in the cables you may have to make 2 twist on one side and untwist 3 times...since the tighter you twist...the more each twist affects the total length of each twist. The same if you unwist.

Quote Originally Posted by bfisher View Post
    I hope I can explain this so you can understand it. The first thing you need to do is get rid of the cam lean by twisting or untwisting cables as necessary. If it helps the axle to axle length will be identical when you get rid of the lean. Then you'll probably have to re-syncronize the cams.

I notice you said you made the string and cables to spec. Well, this sounds good, but any hard cam bow can be so touchy that you really can't build the cables that close that they would be perfect. If you have the feel for timing the cams then you know that a half twist on just one cable can be felt when you draw the bow. I don't believe anybody would be able to see the difference if measuring them.