Thread: String Silencer location

buckshot20

Default String Silencer location

I've got a question? Where is the best location to put my string silencers to retain the most speed while still reducing noise?

flytier17

As close to the cams as possible.

I have heard that if you fiddle with a chrony, you can actually get certain silencers to increase the pspeed of the bow, but the proceedure is timeconsuming and finickity. Just hearsay though...

buckshot20

Thanks I just didn't know if anybody had any hard numbers to go by. I'll play around with it and see what i can come up with. I've heard of some people putting extra knock sets on their strings and gaining a little bit of speed. Does anybody happen to know anything about that?

Post Thanks / Like

One of my customers has an elite and hes got 2 sets, 1st is 1" from cam and the 2nd is 1" below that on the top and bottem. He gets 3 fps. Kenny

Post Thanks / Like

Heard something about that. You can use nock points for that or you can use speed balls which need to be installed like a peep.

I heard that a good starting point is to pull the bow, let someone marker the exact mid position between the nock point and the point where the string leaves the cam. You will need a chrony to finetune.
    Nothing proven also, just things i read.

Good morning btw. =)
    (2) Hoyt PCEXL

Post Thanks / Like

I've done this, moving leeches up and down the string to gain speed. As said, you need a chrono and it's pretty time consuming. All I have is time. Usually it's not worth the hassle as the speed gain is minimal, depending on the efficiency of the bow in the first place.

Martin's FireCat has nocksets crimped on the string and without measuring I think they are about 3" from the cams. I guess they did the homework and figured where to put them.

Simm's Leeches can be moved around to get the best balance of speed and quiet, but they don't slow the bow down but a couple fps anyway so I think it's best to put them about 6" from the cam and then shoot the bow to see where the sweet spot is for quiet. Assume that anything on the string will add weight and reduce speed, but the closer to the center serving the more it slows the bow down. There are a lot of ways to retain speed, but most guys have so much junk on the string they lose speed and blame the bow when it's too much stuff on the string and a heavy arrow. There are a lot of tricks to getting speed out of a bow. High poundage is NOT the only way.

I don't think that for hunting speed is much of an issue. 10 fps loss at 20-25 yards just doesn't affect arrow trajectory much at all. I did some tests back in 2000 with a Pearson speed bow called a Wildfire. At 60# the bow shot 290 fps set up for 3D. At 64# it shot 304 fps. The spread between point-of-impact of the two speeds was only about 2 1/2" at 35 yards. I shot the bow much better at 60# with those hard cams so you draw your own conclusion as to which poundage I decided to shoot.

buckshot20

Thanks guy's. I will play around with it a little bit. All I really do is hunt with it anyway so it really wont make too much of a difference. I just enjoy shooting and want to make my set up a good as possible

Post Thanks / Like

Default The speed ball thing

I just did some extensive playing with a Black Ice and picked up 2 fps. Not worth it to me.

This weekend I'll try the same thing on a Pantera. I don't have very high hopes, but I'll try anyway.