Thread: nock low tear?????

wvbownut

Default nock low tear?????

I recently purchased a firecat and I was tuning it last night and I keep getting a 1/2 inch tear nock low thru paper? Are my wheels out of adjustment? Need some help my local dealer is out of town bear hunting and will not be back until next week.

Post Thanks / Like

It's possible they are out of sync, but I'm not sure just which cam needs adjusted. I have never paper tuned so haven't the experience with it. Just taking an educated guess I'd say the top cam is rolling over ahead of the bottom one. If so then when you shoot the bo the bottom cam reaches it's launch position ahead of the top one.

Really, the best way to tell is to draw the bow. Here's how I'd do it. I'd move the draw stop far enough out of position so it doesn't interfer with the cams reaching their normal stops. Draw the bow till the cams hit their stops. If they are not in sync then you'll feel what we all a double bump at full draw. One cam will hit it's stop and if you pull a little harder the other one will hit it's stop. Thus, the double bump.

If the top wheel is hitting fisrt then you need to add a twist to the cable attached to that cam. It may take as little as a half twist or it may be more than one. It's trial and error. And of course you can detwist the cable for the bottom cam. Either way gets the same results.

Now, all this being said it would be nice to have more information about your setup. As much detail as possible would be preferrable icluding detail on your arrows. Are you sure you have the right spined arrows?

There are a lot of things that can cause a bad tear through paper. Cam sync is just one of them.

wvbownut

Default set up

I'm shooting the bow on 63 pounds with a 28.5 inch draw. I'm shooting 27 inch axis 400's with a 100 grain field point. I'm shooting a trophy taker rest. I've shot gold tip 5575 and 7595 and they still get the same nock low tear. I've moved the rest up and down moved the nocking point up and down and it does not change anything. I'll try what you suggested and see if that helps. thanks a bunch it is nice to have someone who has dealt with problems like this help you. I really appreciate it.

Post Thanks / Like

Not a problem. Our main reason for being here is to help others and keep learning in the process.

Sounds like you've tried enough different arrows of different spines that I'd say that isn't the problem. I'd have to think it's cam sync. Sometimes it doesn't take very much.

Oh, and if you make the adjustments to the cable and it gets worse then try the other cable. These things always screw my mind up.

Good luck and come back often. We're a community here.