Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast

Thread: Back again

Post Thanks / Like

Default Back again

OK guys,

I'm back from the tropics. Actually the Riviera Maya where I spent a week vacation and did some scuba diving. As would be the case I did not get eaten alive by any sharks or other critters that television personafies as a danger to humans. We are just not on their menu, much the same as the deer woods.

Anyway, I'm back and ready for action here. Hope to help those in need and learn from others, too. I see it's been a pretty busy place.

For some who don't me, I'm not a guru by any means and don't know a lot about specific older Martin bows. I see a lot of questions about some older models. I read most of the posts, but if you don't see me chiming in it's simply because "I don't know" so don't need to clutter up the place.

For some of you newer guys----welcome to this forum. Hope to converse with you down the road.

Post Thanks / Like

Welcome back. Just wondered where you could have been so long. =)
    (2) Hoyt PCEXL

flytier17

Did you have a good trip?

Did you at least see a shark? That would be pretty cool. I know a guy who fishes for those things off a surfboard. Mostly blacktips and lemons though, no great whites or tigers or anything...

Post Thanks / Like

Nope! Didn't even see a shark although it doesn't surprise me. Don't know if you guys have ever seen it on TV but have you ever heard of shark-finning? The Japanese consider shark fins a delicacy so they catch millions each year, cut the fins off and throw the rest of the LIVE carcass back into the ocean. A real travesty and waste of a lot of shark meat.

Consider that there are approximately 100 shark attacks each year world wide. About 5-6 fatalities among humans. We humans kill millions of sharks each year.

Putting this in a deer hunter's perspective it would be much the same as killing deer (unlimited numbers) cutting out the back straps and leaving the rest of the carcass lay to be wasted. The main difference is that at least we kill the animal dead to do so. What a waste.

I have dove with sharks before on several occasions with little problems. I've had them within inches of my body parts and never been bitten. On only one occasion have I even seen aggressive behavior toward humans and it was a 9' bull shark that reacted to my camera (electronic signals) and banged my camera as he swam by. Talk about a rush. TV makes them out to be maneaters when they are almost pussy-cats of the sea.

Yes, I had a good time on vacation. It was HOT, but not so bad in the water. Water temp was just about 83 degrees F. I do about 6-8 scuba trips a year and my next one is September, two weeks before my archery season starts.

Thankyou for your interest. Who knows, maybe I can get you guys into it. It's a lot like archery in a way--------very expensive. I drop about $20,000 a year doing scuba trips. My wife works and I go play.

Barry

Post Thanks / Like

I just want to inform you that i will be on iceland the next few days. After coming back to germany i will shoot a (for me..) rather important FITA.round and will have 2 weeks of holidays so i will be not available for the next three weeks.

If a german user should show up i will be available via pm until the 12th of July. But i do not believe so. =)
    (2) Hoyt PCEXL

Post Thanks / Like

Yo!!! Simon,

We'll do our best hold down the fort till your return. Shoot well.

Barry

flytier17

Have a good one Simon! Good luck!

Post Thanks / Like

Thanks. =)

I just wanted to have a look if martin tech forum is still alive.

Best wishes from iceland (i have 14h sunshine and 20degree celsius-> wow)

Simon
    (2) Hoyt PCEXL

Post Thanks / Like

Back in good old germany again. I would have loved to stay in iceland for some more days, or weeks, or years. It is just wonderful up there....
    (2) Hoyt PCEXL

Post Thanks / Like

Quote Originally Posted by Montalaar View Post
    Back in good old germany again. I would have loved to stay in iceland for some more days, or weeks, or years. It is just wonderful up there....
    How's the weather there this time of year. Cool? That usually means less bugs.