Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast

Thread: Pro-Series

NathGA

Unhappy Pro-Series

I used to have a Pro-series shop close by that I could order a bow from, even though they didn't have much inventory. Now I have to drive hours just to order a S4 (which I am looking at). I could go to my local Martin dealer, but I would have to get a Mystic because he is not a pro dealer. He mostly inventories PSE, Hoyt, Mathews, and Browning with couple of Bear Odyssey II bows for the kiddies. Basically anything he gets from you guys is a special order, which he does 3-4 times a year and doesn't mind doing. Wouldn't it be in everyones interest for me to buy an S4 from him? You sell a bow, he circulates a Martin through his shop, I get the bow I would rather have, AND a bright red Martin S4 shows up at the range every other week (that's called advertising). I understand Martin needs to protect territories of its Pro dealers, but that makes no sense here. This is territory where you guys need to be excited about every sale you get, and simply be glad I want your bow that much. I am not very pleased about driving 3 hours each way to make a deposit when I should be at work, and then repeating that process again when it comes in just to get a pro series bow. Anyone else run into this? I can't be the only one. Let me end with this, Martin makes the best bows at the fairest price!

Post Thanks / Like

Hi. I know your problem.

In germany you will find ( i believe) 2 martin dealers of which only one is a pro series dealer. Both are in the same area only around 50 km away from each other. I live in the midwest of Germany and have no chance to try the bows before i would buy them. I am glad if i can visit the shop once in a year so i get everything via the online shop...
    (2) Hoyt PCEXL

dbd870

Sounds familiar, seems to be a common theme. Big shop becomes a Pro Dealer, doesn't hardly stock anything and sell Hoyts and Bowtech etc. and locks out anyone else from picking up the pro line. Martin needs to take a good look at their dealers; I believe they need to open up the pro line to more shops, however it has been brought up before that maybe they don't want to expand it too much or they couldn't keep up?

Post Thanks / Like

I believe Martin wants to quality control their pro series shops. As far as i know i can say that my Martin Dealer is really good. Great support, nice person to talk to and he makes things possible you would not think of. The bad thing is that it is just too far to drive. The next good archery shop for me is around 100km away which is really a lot for me. They sell Hoyt, Mathews and PSE only and i do not believe that they will ever sell something else.
    (2) Hoyt PCEXL

Post Thanks / Like

NathGA,

I don't know how much real advice I can give you, but first a little explaining and then a suggestion.

As you are probably well aware there are tons of dealers out in the world who handle Mathews, BowTech, Hoyt, these seeming to be the most popular---and most expensive. There is a reason for this. They are good bows. They are also give a dealer the highest profit margin. The prices are pretty much self explanitory.

Then there are bow lines like PSE/Browning, Bear, and a few others that deal mostly with volume selling. Here there is less profit per bow but more bows going out. Let's face it. Most people don't want or need a $700 bow unless they are dealing with peer pressure or testosterone levels.

Then you have a few companies like Martin or Darton or Pearson who make some of the nicest bows you can find. Not near as much advertising and hype so volume sales isn't going to happen. Therefore the dealers can't sell as many or make as much profit per bow so they just don't stock them. Pick up an Archery Trade magazine and you see it stated a lot about the profit margin to be made by selling certain bow lines.

This is just a couple things I have learned in the last 35 years and being a staff shooter or sales rep for the last 15 years. There is more to it, but this is just the basics. And let's face it. A shop can't carry every bow line. It's just too expensive.

Now, maybe I can offer a suggestion. You want to get an S4, but must go through a Pro Shop 3 hours away. Is it possible for you to just call the guy and order one, send him a deposit as he requires, and when the bow comes in go get it? Explain to him to go over the bow with a fine-toothed comb before you make the trip. This hopefully cuts you down to just one trip.
    When you pick up the bow be sure and get the box it came in. Therefore you can just box it and ship it to him if any warranty work is ever needed (hopefully never). You could always have minor work done at a local shop or do it yourself if you know how. I usually figure anybody who wants something as upscale as an S4 is no dummy.

Another possiblity is to buy the bow through the shop and if warranty work is ever needed you could call Martin and see if you could ship it back to them. If you call Jake or Joel at customer service they might be able to explain your options better than I.

I know this may or may not be possible, and certainly isn't the best scenerio, but it's just a thought on my part.

NathGA

Default And it makes sense...

I agree with bfisher. It's most likely how I am going to pull it off. I have a bow press, and am capable of tuning it myself. I just wished that the protected areas covered a little less area. Did you know that there's not a Pro-shop in the entire metro Atlanta area? It took me 2 hours (no traffic) to get to the pro-shop from downtown when I lived up there. I have a Martin dealer in town. He will order anything that I ask for, and has. He just doesn't have the ability to order a Pro-series bow. Some flunkie an hour from here is a "Pro-Series" dealer. Said dealer is never open, has no inventory, and currently has his phone disconnected. That means I drive one hour and 15. min to Macon and approx. two hours from there south to catch a guy that has no inventory, nor knows me from Sam. My Martin dealer is 10 min from me, and I would almost rather buy a Mystic to give him the money. I just think that unless Martin is getting big dollars from Pro-Dealers, they might want to have a distance clause for customers who use the regular Martin dealers.

Liv2KillBigBullz

I understand the reason for not stocking these bows. I also run into a similar problem here in Colorado. The closest pro dealer is in greeley a couple hours away and although h does stock some martin bows he has currently sold them all. I know martin produces a great product but I would like to have the oppurtunity to shoot a few different models before deciding on one to buy like I can do if looking at a hoyt, matthews or similar. I currently want to shoot a 08 Slayer with CAT cams along side a Firecat to see which of the two better fits my shooting style and fits my tastes before I buy one.

Post Thanks / Like

I don't know if you are aware of it, but with most bow companies the protected area between dealers is usually about 30 miles. Maybe 50 in less populated areas. The choice of what bow lines to carry is strictly that of the individual dealer.

As I stated above. The biggest incentive to carry X line of bows is in the profit margin per bow and the volume of sales. To that end advertising and marketing is what makes a big difference. Advertise more and more bows get out in the market. More bows out there means more hype and leads to more sales.

Right in a copy of Archery Trade Magazine, which is mostly a dealer mag Mathews always advertises that the dealer can make more money per bow than other lines. Maybe that's why so many handle them.

I guess I'm kind of lucky. Been shooting compounds for over 35 years now so I generally know about what is going to feel good to me, sight unseen and unshot. One of these days I'm going to get something that just doesn't fit me too well. In that case I just sell and get another new one. So far it hasn't happened.

All this doesn't help your situation, though. With the price of gas these days a couple hour drive each way can easily add $100 to the cost of a bow---if you decide to buy it. If not then you still spent the money for the gas. I honestly don't know what an answer might be, Maybe talk to a few shops in your area and see if they'll pick up the Martin line as a Por dealer. Maybe a call to the factory can give you more options.

NathGA

Lightbulb Thanks bfisher!

I understand the hype. Mathews is popular, but down in Dublin GA it is really more Hoyt/Browning country. I sure wish there was a Gold series bow that had the Furious X cams. I am probably going to just visit a Pro shop when I go on vacation, and then visit again on the return leg to pick it up. Martin can't say I am not dedicated! I figured out a solution for Martin. Go back to the 3 series like they had in 2000. A Bass Pro Shop/ Megastore grade, an improved archery shop grade, and then the exclusive Pro-Series. Have the middle grade capable of getting Furious X cams, etc. Save a couple of special models for the dedicated Pro shops that never seem to be near the population centers. Anyone else remember when there were three lines of Martin bows? Am I crazy? Bfisher has it right, Mathews is a profit margin bow. I hate the ones I have tried and did genuinely try to like them. I would describe them as almost unshootable without a release. I am going to stick with my Duet-Cam TM Jaguar (which was a pro series back in 2000) until I get the Scepter 4. Thanks for the info bfisher, and by the way, my name is Nathan and I am from Dublin, GA.

Post Thanks / Like

Nathan (Nate???),

Nice to know ya. Man, I can't beleve we went all through this because you want to shoot something with Furious X cams. There is a Gold Series bow that has them. It's the Mystic. Where have you been hiding? The Mystic is kind of like a mini-S4. Maybe this would work for you.

OK, nuff said.