Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast

Thread: Reliability

toxobob

Default Reliability

Hi Guys,

Just wanted to say hello to everyone, as I've just joined you from over the pond in England.

Started reading this forum to try and get an insight into which new Martin compound to go for, and I've got my eyes on a '07 Cougar with Nitrous cams, partly because I just love the spec and the look of them, and with the Elite limbs have the axle length for fingers.

Anyway, back to the title, ie, reliability, I have been shooting a '94 Firecat for the last 14 years, and have shot well over 40,000 arrows from it. It has not slowed down at all, and even has the original string and cables still on it.
    Needless to say, whatever bow I get will be a Martin, (although I am a bit nervous reading all these posts about cracking limbs - I hope they haven't let their quality control slide!).

Happy Shooting!

Bob.

Post Thanks / Like

Welcome to the forums. Hope you stick around and add to the family. There's always more to learn and we learn from each other. Hopefully, along the way we educate others from our experience.

So far as I know you might be the first Cougar shooter aboard.

Post Thanks / Like

Hey.

Welcome to this forum from our side of the cold ocean. I have never heard bad things about the Cougar and thought about buying one myself half a year ago. I believe you will LOVE this bow. I like the design and the feeling of it and i am sure you will do also.

Simon from Germany =)
    (2) Hoyt PCEXL

dbd870

So far as I know you might be the first Cougar shooter aboard.
    I was until earlier this year.

toxobob

Thanks for the welcome guys.

Nice to hear good things about the Cougar - I needed to know because I have no choice but to buy one cold and untried. If anyone does have any negative comments about them I'd like to hear them as well.

Funny thing is, I've searched every American shop I can find on the web, and no-one advertises them - the only place I can get one from is Australia would you believe!!

dbd870, love to hear how you got on with it!

dbd870

Mine is an 01 or 02 (can't remember and they were the same those 2 years) with the Fuzion cam. I liked it fine, it shot well and I never had a problem. It's just I fell in love with the MPro cam when I tried it so I made the change. I just put 20 arrows through it yesterday and after shooting the MOAB only for the last 3 mo or so it did confirm to me that I made the right choice. From my preferences you can probably tell I'm not the right person to ask about the Nitrous cams. Most of the dual cam shooters I read seem to think they are the best dual cam Martin has put out. I have shot a Scepter4 and I find the wall of the Furious cams to be too soft.

Post Thanks / Like

Probably the reason you aren't seeing Cougars listed at on-line shops is that they are carrying the '08 line-up and the Cougar has been discontinued for 2008. Most likely this is only temporary, as Martin often does this with their bows.

I haven't paid attention to the Cougar lately. For shooting fingers and probably a target bow, I'd pay particular attention to the brace height.

Post Thanks / Like

If you are from england you could try my german pro shop. They sell the Cougar as far as i know and gave good prices. They are shipping also to other countries so you should think about it. But maybe you do not like those crazy people living south of britain... :P

As the link goes to an official martin pro series dealer there should be no problem..:

http://www.archerydirect-shop.de/

Have a look at it. You will also find bows from 2006 and some special custom offers you might be interested in.
    (2) Hoyt PCEXL

Post Thanks / Like

Quote Originally Posted by toxobob View Post
    Hi Guys,

Just wanted to say hello to everyone, as I've just joined you from over the pond in England.

Started reading this forum to try and get an insight into which new Martin compound to go for, and I've got my eyes on a '07 Cougar with Nitrous cams, partly because I just love the spec and the look of them, and with the Elite limbs have the axle length for fingers.

Anyway, back to the title, ie, reliability, I have been shooting a '94 Firecat for the last 14 years, and have shot well over 40,000 arrows from it. It has not slowed down at all, and even has the original string and cables still on it.
    Needless to say, whatever bow I get will be a Martin, (although I am a bit nervous reading all these posts about cracking limbs - I hope they haven't let their quality control slide!).

Happy Shooting!

Bob.
    Back before I was lucky enough to start shooting for Martin back in 2003, The first Martin bow I puchased was a M-2000 Cougar with 65% let off Z-cams with 16" limbs. I now shoot mainly Scepters but I shot that Cougar better than any bow I have ever owned. I still have it...and as much as I like the NOS cams. I wish I still had a set of those Z's. I exchanged them for some Furies for some more speed but gained very little any way and lost my forgiveness of the Z's.
    But let me tell you this reguardless of what someone says they like as far as solid wall,spongyness, soft wall etc. IMO the Z-cam was a mixture of them all and bar none is probably the most forgiving cam Martin has ever made. I would like to see a Z-Xcam...can you imagine the forgiveness?
    My wall is covered with countless State and Sectional championship wins and I owe most to theat M-2000 cougar.

dbd870

As you can see toxobob a big part of this archery thing is personal perference.