Thread: limb issues

$mitty05

Arrow limb issues

well i was looking to get the new firecat for my hunting bow but have seen alot of people having limbs breaking on their bows. i not so sure if i should get one or not. i dont want to be hurt while shooting my bow. what is the deal with all the limb issues and has the problem been fixed?

Post Thanks / Like

Having been in archery for 35+ years now, and a staff shooter for 15 years I can pretty well assure that most limb problems are blown way out of proportion. Just about all manufacturers have about the same percentage of limb breakage....that being a little less than 1%. I wouldn't expect anything much different from Martin.

For what it's worth I'm shooting a FireCat presently and haven't found any problems with mine. Usually you read a lot about BowTach and Mathews having problems, but I just consider that, especially with BowTech, people are pushing the envelope for speed and putting undue stress on the limbs. This is not intended as a bash on BowTech, but just pointing out that the problems are often created by the owner and not the manufacturer.

$mitty05

i just dont wanna buy a new bow and then it be a piece of junk and break on me. i only brought it up b/c i seen the talk on this forum about it and also over on elite archery's forum so its making me second guess myself.

meesier42

I cracked a limb on my Bengal last season, it was a thursday morning that I found it. I showed up at my local archery pro shop and he made 1 call to Martin, they offered to split the cost of overnight shipping and I was hunting with the bow friday afternoon.

Martin will stand by their equipment

Post Thanks / Like

Quote Originally Posted by $mitty05 View Post
    i just dont wanna buy a new bow and then it be a piece of junk and break on me. i only brought it up b/c i seen the talk on this forum about it and also over on elite archery's forum so its making me second guess myself.

With very few exceptions there aren't any bows made today that are a piece of junk. There are good bows and there are better bows (more technically advanced). There is no such thing as "what is the best bow".

That being said, you could buy the highest priced bow made and it could get a broken limb. You could by a used bow for $100 and it could last forever. It's the luck of the draw. These are man made things and sometimes things fail. It happens with everything made by man.

You can't live your life in fear. The only man who never made a mistake just never did anything. The only man who never learned anything just didn't try.

Buy whatever bow you like and enjoy shooting it. Just know that Martin is noted as having the best customer service in the archery industry.

goinhtn63

I bought a new Firecat earlier this year and about a month ago I shattered my lower limb. I believe it was a fluke thing. I took it back to my archery shop and had it back in a week. Martin replaced everything but the riser. I think it shoots better now. Just check your bow out before you shoot and make sure everything is tight before you shoot. I love my Firecat and am going to stick with Martin bows !!!!

TCR1

The use of laminated limbs really helps Martin keep its limb failure rate low. I doubt many failures are even catastrophic (i.e. if there is a problem, it will be more of an inconvenience than dangerous) unlike glass limb bows. And IF there is a problem, Martin definately treats its customers correctly.

This is actually the first I have heard of limbs breaking on a Firecat. I have a Firecat and am finishing up the tuning on it in preparation for the antelope season in a couple weeks.