Thread: Storing bow

Post Thanks / Like

Default Storing bow

Heya, just another questions.

How do you store your bow if you will not shoot it for quite a while? Do you just hang it on the wall or something like that or do you disassemble it?
    (2) Martin ShadowCat 2010

hawgslayer

Bob Lee, the bowyer who made my bow, suggests that your hang your bow (strung) from a bow rack. Hang it from the string in such a way that the bow can swing free. Not hitting the wall. If your not going to shoot it for a few weeks or months, unstring it and lay it flat. ( on its side, no tension on the limbs this way). Don't unstring the bow and then stand it in a corner. You can damage the limbs over a period of time.
    I have not untrung my bows in the last 2 or 3 years. I shoot a few times a week and check the brace height a few times a month. So far I haven't had any trouble with them. Brace height is good and they have the same speed as when I got them.

Hope the info helps.

Hawgslayer......................

Post Thanks / Like

Quote Originally Posted by hawgslayer View Post
    Bob Lee, the bowyer who made my bow, suggests that your hang your bow (strung) from a bow rack. Hang it from the string in such a way that the bow can swing free. Not hitting the wall. If your not going to shoot it for a few weeks or months, unstring it and lay it flat. ( on its side, no tension on the limbs this way). Don't unstring the bow and then stand it in a corner. You can damage the limbs over a period of time.
    I have not untrung my bows in the last 2 or 3 years. I shoot a few times a week and check the brace height a few times a month. So far I haven't had any trouble with them. Brace height is good and they have the same speed as when I got them.

Hope the info helps.

Hawgslayer......................
    Hawgslayers advice is not at all incorrect. However I believe it is over kill on the part about storing your bow if you are not going to shoot it in a while. All you need to do is back the limbs out about three to four turns from max and hang it per Hawgslayers insrtuctions.

Post Thanks / Like

Hawgslayer is making reference to traditional bows so he is correct to that point. With compounds it's different. Almost anything will work. The ones I won't be using for a while I just hang from a hook or leave them in a case laying flat.

If you are going to store the bow for an extended period, you could take a few turns off the limbs just as a precaution. The extra weight won't hurt the limbs, but might help the string/cable last longer.

I've personally had bows over ten years with full weight on the limbs and they might lose about 2# over that time. And that was with older bows with wood/glass laminated limbs.

Truthfully, there isn't musch you need to be concerned about except the possiblity of driving a truck over it or something catastrophic like that.

hawgslayer

You know what gents, I forgot that I wasn't on TRADGANG.COM. Thats TRADITIONAL bows only on that site. I guess it was a "SENIOR MOMENT".
    Sorry for giving out trad equipment info to a compound shooter. Once again, sorry for the confusion on my part.

Hawgslayer

Post Thanks / Like

Quote Originally Posted by bfisher View Post
    Hawgslayer is making reference to traditional bows so he is correct to that point. With compounds it's different. Almost anything will work. The ones I won't be using for a while I just hang from a hook or leave them in a case laying flat.

If you are going to store the bow for an extended period, you could take a few turns off the limbs just as a precaution. The extra weight won't hurt the limbs, but might help the string/cable last longer.

I've personally had bows over ten years with full weight on the limbs and they might lose about 2# over that time. And that was with older bows with wood/glass laminated limbs.

Truthfully, there isn't musch you need to be concerned about except the possiblity of driving a truck over it or something catastrophic like that.
    I should have picked up on that when he mentioned "the bowyer Bob Lee" built his bow.