Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast

Thread: Broadhead Weight 100 vs XX

Fin

Question Broadhead Weight 100 vs XX

With the recent improvement's in the broadhead industry & the addition of 'Weight Forward' arrow shafts to the market...Would dropping down from 100 gr. heads to 85 or 75 gr. help pick up some arrow speed without losing arrow flight stabilization? Just a Thought!!!

dbd870

What is your arrow weight?

Post Thanks / Like

Dropping from 100 to 85 grains will certainly gain you some speed, but not as much as you might think. Try about 5 fps maximum. And for normal hunting distances this won't make one iota of difference.

Will it upset the arrow flight? It might. Depends on how well your arrows are presently spined for the bow. Most likely it won't hurt much. 15 grains difference isn't all that much.

I know, in my situation, I usually shoot 75gr heads, but I can switch to 100 gr of the same make and the only difference I see is about an additional 2" drop at 30 yards, which is about as far as I'm going to take a hunting shot anyway. I spend the time before season finding which one groups the best with my particualr setup and that's what I hunt with.

I don't spend an inordiate amount of time practicing with broadheads. Don't need to. Either they fly right or they don't. I get them flying then change the blades and put them in the bow quiver till hunting season arrives. Broadheads are designed for hunting, not playing around with.

Fin

I believe my arrow wieght to be around (aprox.) 385-390...With a ligher arrow shaft and 75 gr head (Magnus Stinger)... I think it may drop to (aprox.) 330-340...not a bad reduction!

Post Thanks / Like

Agree, if you can drop 50 grains or so then you'll see a pretty good increase in velocity. Frankly, I don't see one advantage to shooting an arrow with weight-forward technology. I personally think it's just another marketing ploy. If I want more weight on the front of the arrow then I'll just shoot a heavier weight tip.

Believe me. I've been shooting over 35 years now and there are always some "new and improved" gimicks crop up. Thing is, this "new and improved" weight forward technology isn't new at all. It's been around in one form or another for as long as I've been shooting.

Fin

Great input...Thanks! Think I am going with a lighter shaft ( 1.5 gpi ) less than what I have now....and drop down to a 75 grain head & see how that works.
    I don't think the smaller broadhead will hurt...actually may help to prevent planing in flight a bit...either way, 100 or 75 grain heads will do the job....It boils down to practice ( I shoot 30 - 50 arrows a day) and a well placed shot in the vitals!

Post Thanks / Like

Gimme some bow specs and maybe I'll make an arrow recommendation or two. I'm a speed freak so I shoot light weight stuff. Primarily Gold Tip Ultralite Pro. 75gr InnerLoc broadheads and Duravane LP 400 vanes, or feathers. You are right about a low profile broadhead planing less. I've found this out over the years. Believe me, no deer I've ever shot knew that the head that sliced through was only 1 1/8" wide.

I'm not shooting Blazers, although they are prpular. Just can't see going to a high profile vane and play around with possible fletching clearance issues. And although I have used many drop away rests I don't prefer them on a hunting bow. Besides, the LP 400's go through my shoot-through cables with no issues. I like to keep potential problems to a minimum. Lord knows I have enough human problems to deal with.

Fin

Well...I picked up some new arrows and points. I went from a 10.6 gpi to a 9.1 gpi and dropped to an 85 grain head...stayed clear of the weight forward shafts. Total Arrow Weight dropped from (aprox) 402 grains to (aprox) 344 grains...Hope this will help pick up a few FPS.

Post Thanks / Like

344gr?

How many lbs do you shoot?
    (2) Hoyt PCEXL

Fin

Shooting 2008 Cheetah at #70....using Red Head (bass pro) Carbon Supreme Lites 350's