Thread: Noise Problems: New String

rhaivala

Default Noise Problems: New String

I recently had my Prowler SE restrung. The shop I took it to took the manufacturer specs listed on my limb to order my new string. I'm unsure of the type of string he put on but after being restrung my bow is terribly noisy and has a ton of vibration, so much that it pops arrows out of the quiver. The guy that worked on my bow has just started a shop. He says he dosn't know how putting a new string on could cause this and there isn't much he can do but offer me a $50 string stop. I don't know a lot about bows but am looking for info as to what he may have done wrong to cause this. A friend said that different strings have different numbers of twists and the wrong amount may have caused this. I would like a little knowledge before I talk to the guy. Any help would be appreciated. The guy is on a hunt in Alaska and I will get further information on the string type when he gets back.

Post Thanks / Like

One thing you could think about is the number of strands used.

If the new string has a massive loss in the number of strands to the old string you could have found ONW reason. Less strands make the string faster but will make the bow also much more noisy.
    (2) Hoyt PCEXL

Post Thanks / Like

Simon is right about strand count, however I would lean more toward looking at the cam orientation. If the cam(s) are over rotated the bow would exhibit these symtoms. Measure the brace height and A2A to see how they compare with factroy specs and let us know what you find.

How about string silencers? Did you have them before and they're not on this string?

A string stopper (STS) can certainly help the situation, but IMO if you didn't have the problem before you shouldn't have it now.

Post Thanks / Like

Barry is right that you should look for the cam orientation also.

Now you have 3 things you can check and maybe fix to remove this problem. =)
    (2) Hoyt PCEXL